E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2016, 04:01 AM   #1
SCain
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 330i
Can't get to the bottom of loud brake noise

When I bought my e46, it sounded like it needed new pads, so I replaced the fronts. Shortly after this, I still noticed a screech at slower speeds so I replaced the back pads; still no dice, unfortunately.

I put a good amount of synthetic brake grease on every single pad. I also cleaned off each rotor with brake parts cleaner. What gives? Is it possible I need new rotors? They seem
fine to me.

The screech is only at slow speeds when I depress the pedal nearly all the way and is pretty loud. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by SCain; 05-03-2016 at 04:05 AM.
SCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:07 AM   #2
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
The rotors should be resurfaced or replaced when you replace pads. They are wear items just like the pads.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Did you put that pink stuff from CRC on the back of the pads? Did you clean the caliper guide pins? Did you lube the pins with anti-seize compound?

IMHO BMW rotors should never be turned as they're fairly thin from the factory. If the answers to the above questions are "yes" replace the rotors.

Did you break in the pads?
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCain View Post
When I bought my e46, it sounded like it needed new pads, so I replaced the fronts. Shortly after this, I still noticed a screech at slower speeds so I replaced the back pads; still no dice, unfortunately.

I put a good amount of synthetic brake grease on every single pad. I also cleaned off each rotor with brake parts cleaner. What gives? Is it possible I need new rotors? They seem
fine to me.

The screech is only at slow speeds when I depress the pedal nearly all the way and is pretty loud. Thanks for reading!
Replace rotors, and don't use autozone-grade pads.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #5
SCain
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Did you put that pink stuff from CRC on the back of the pads? Did you clean the caliper guide pins? Did you lube the pins with anti-seize compound?

IMHO BMW rotors should never be turned as they're fairly thin from the factory. If the answers to the above questions are "yes" replace the rotors.

Did you break in the pads?
Don't know what you mean by pink stuff from CRC. I put synthetic brake grease on the back of all the pads. I didn't thoroughly clean the caliper pins, but I did lube them with anti-seize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
Replace rotors, and don't use autozone-grade pads.
Might as well, no paperwork for new rotors came with the car (65k Miles). Don't know what the Autozone quip was about, I used Wagner Ceramics. Thanks for the advice though?

Last edited by SCain; 05-04-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:21 PM   #6
veektor

My Ride: 2002 325xi
My brakes squeaked for a little while at low speeds right after I replaced them. Apparently Textar pads tend to do that, especially if combined with Zimmerman rotors. You can search the forum for "textar squeaking", someone explained how the geometry of the pad edge causes squeaking until the edges smooth out a bit. It took a few hundred miles, but there is no more squeaking from the new pads.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
SCain
OEM ///Member

Thanks veektor, but I've put well over 1000 miles on these pads
Old 05-04-2016, 12:10 PM   #8
jsickz32

My Ride: 2002 325ci
check for small rocks in the back of the rotors where they seat in the bearing
also make sure the dustshield is not bent and slightly touching the rotor
jsickz32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #9
veektor

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCain View Post
Thanks veektor, but I've put well over 1000 miles on these pads
That may not be enough to wear out the sharp edges on the pads. Only you know if that 1000 miles was long stretches, or short spurts between stop lights. Besides, the ceramic pads may take longer than semi-metallics. Once I understood why my brakes were squealing, and realized it would eventually work itself out, I just turned up the music. One day I realized the squealing was gone, and as of today I have just around 2000 miles on those pads, so hasn't been that long.

The reason those sharp edges cause squealing is the same as when you make a wine glass sing by moving finger around the rim. It only happens when you reach the right condition of pressure and speed to cause the resonance. From my original search into the matter I recall someone actually taking the pads off and shaving down the sharp edges of the pads to get rid of the squeal. Like I said, turning the music up worked for me.
Old 05-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #10
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
Can't get to the bottom of loud brake noise

I did almost everything wrong according to this thread.

I used ceramic pads
Pads are from Autozone
I put them on used rotors
I didn't clean or lube the guide pins

Absolutely and perfectly quiet. Never a squeak or squeal.

The only thing I can attribute my success to is using liberal amounts of the blue permatex brake pad grease at exactly the locations that the caliper touches the pads.

^^Blue Ridge Parkway^^ '03 325i. '74 Jeep CJ-5. '93 Sailfish 170XL. '12 Westside SS Longboard. One of these four are sure to be running at any given point in time.

Last edited by Yewzer B Lewzer; 05-04-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:27 PM   #11
nateo

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I had same problem with mine. Put on autozone pads, new rotors and new pins. Same squeak. Had them on for a couple thousand miles now same issue. I notice there are some tiny groves forming in the rotors. I suspect its the pads. Some might have success with autozone pads but it could be a qc issue with certain batches.
nateo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, noise