03 325i Rear suspension HELP! - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2016, 09:49 PM   #1
Tyler.S98

My Ride: 03 325i
03 325i Rear suspension HELP!

Hello everyone that is reading this. I just bought an 03 325i on June 4th and didn't realize until I was home that the rear suspension was sagging (very bad on my part I know) and that the rear wheels had severe negative wheel camber to them. when I go over bumps you can hear rattling in the suspension. Some things have led me to believe that the sagging is due to worn shocks but the camber could be sub frame damage. The car has been wrecked in the front (front bumper and the front right panel were replaced) and in the rear left side (cracked tail light cover and a spot that looks like it has been painted over and the rear bumper doesn't sit correctly). The car drives straight but there is also some shaking in my steering wheel until I get to about 50 MPH. Please help...

Last edited by Tyler.S98; 06-14-2016 at 09:53 PM. Reason: add a thought.
Tyler.S98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
My325XI

My Ride: 03 325XI Sprt Prem
The rear sagging may be due to broken rear springs. Some negative camber, I believe is normal. The steering wheel shake can be wheels/rims out of balance. Could be front control arm bushings too.

2003 325XI 5-speed ZSP ZPP
My325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:00 PM   #3
Tyler.S98

Quote:
Originally Posted by My325XI View Post
The rear sagging may be due to broken rear springs. Some negative camber, I believe is normal. The steering wheel shake can be wheels/rims out of balance. Could be front control arm bushings too.
I checked my rear springs when checking my brake pads and they looked fine. This is more than just some negative camber. I'll get some pics in the morning. I'll double check my springs Thursday when I change my oil..
Old 06-15-2016, 04:54 AM   #4
Hamsocne

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
The stearing wheel shake might be as simple as front control arm bushings, but it sounds like the car has taken a beating.

A post purchase inspection might be a good idea. Then you will know.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:12 PM   #5
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
yep normally it's a cracked coil in the spring. but if you checked it ok.
springs hold the weight of the car, the shocks just handle the bounce for the most part. so it sounds like it could be something different. curious, how is the wear pattern on your rear tires?
Old 06-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #6
Tyler.S98

The inner tread is worn than the center and outside. I took a coworker to the hospital in my car today and my steering wheel shook a lot, especially when braking. I'll double check my springs when I change my oil tomorrow and make sure...
Old 06-15-2016, 03:35 PM   #7
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
Usually part of the lower spring breaks off and ends up on the side of the road. You need to verify the spring goes all the way to a nice straight cut at the end. If it tapers then it probably broke in the past.

Your whole suspension sounds like a mess and needs a lot of work.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:37 PM   #8
Tyler.S98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yewzer B Lewzer View Post
Usually part of the lower spring breaks off and ends up on the side of the road. You need to verify the spring goes all the way to a nice straight cut at the end. If it tapers then it probably broke in the past.

Your whole suspension sounds like a mess and needs a lot of work.
I know my suspension is a mess. I planned on replacing my control arms with adjustable control arms so I can fix the camber to where it's supposed to be and putting new springs on if that is causing my sagging problem...

Tags
camber, e46, rear, sagging, suspension