E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2016, 12:17 AM   #1
TippyTurnip

My Ride: 01 330i
330i ZF 5hp19

So my 01 330i won't shift out of first gear and it'll go up to about 20mph and then it'll stop and hesitate to go again and then when it goes it'll go back up to around 20 and it'll basically like down shift and jerk you forward as it drops speed I ran the codes and the codes that came back were

P0604
P0117
P1112
P1190
P0420
P0135 bank 1 sensor 1
P0720

Please help
TippyTurnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:02 AM   #2
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Your very first error, P0604, is possibly causing all your problems although your symptoms seem to indicate a transmission problem this one code could conceivably cause those symptoms.

P0604 is "Internal Control Module Random Access Memory (RAM) Error"

If this is in fact real, then all the other codes may not mean anything because the ECU is generating bad information, possibly causing the other faults.

However, there are some other possible causes since these codes are sensor and control module related there are three other possibilities that come to mind, 1) ground is bad on some area of the car, maybe the firewall ground connection, or possibly one of several ground bus connections in the fuse compartment behind the fuses (the latter is less likely); 2) battery connection in the engine compartment at the alternator and/or jump start terminal bad; 3) how old is the battery and how good are the connections?

Maybe it is something else and all those codes happened all at once because they all died at the same time. I doubt it. I think you have a common denominator.

btw - your other codes below p1xxx are generic, the p1xxx codes are BMW specific:
P0604 Internal Control Module Random Access Memory (RAM) Error
P0117 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Low Input
P1112 Engine Coolant Temperature Radiator Outlet Sensor High Input
P1190 Pre-catalyst Fuel Trim System Bank 1
P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0720 Output Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction

None of these are transmission related, it's possible that your code reader is not pulling up the P7xxx codes or that the P0702 code is causing the EGS (transmission module) to respond in the manner you explain.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 5000k Xenarc CBI 66240 HID | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:13 AM   #3
TippyTurnip

The previous owner had amps or subs in the car at some point and he left the wire in the car when he took them out but idk if it's hooked up to any thing
Old 06-30-2016, 02:16 AM   #4
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Go here and do a little sleuthing: http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

It's been mentioned on here numerous times and is a very helpful site. Detailed explanations of possible reasons for many of the codes.

It smells like an electrical issue to me; my two cents.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 5000k Xenarc CBI 66240 HID | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
Old 06-30-2016, 02:58 AM   #5
dslboomer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330I
TitaniumCranium,

Thanks for posting the code descriptions.
I don't understand people just listing codes only and expecting help from other people.
I guess it has to be norm for spoon-fed generation.
If it wasn't your kindness to give the descriptions, I would have ignored the posting.
I don't think there are P7xxx codes even for manufacturer's specific codes.
P07xx to P08xx are generic codes for transmission.

TippyTurnip,
Here is my 2 cents:
Erase codes and see what pops up when you have transmission problem.
My guess is P0720 (transmission output speed sensor circuit fault) is the main cause of shifting problem.
One other long shot is P0135 (Oxygen sensor heater circuit B1S1 malfunction). Oxygen heater circuit and power for Transmission module share the common DME fuse #4.

Last edited by dslboomer; 06-30-2016 at 02:58 AM.
dslboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #6
TippyTurnip

I had already knew that some were o2 sensors and I knew the last one was output speed sensor and I already got the speed sensor replaced but it still does the same thing where it won't shift gears
Old 07-02-2016, 11:28 PM   #7
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslboomer View Post
TitaniumCranium,

Thanks for posting the code descriptions.
I don't understand people just listing codes only and expecting help from other people.
I guess it has to be norm for spoon-fed generation.
If it wasn't your kindness to give the descriptions, I would have ignored the posting.
I don't think there are P7xxx codes even for manufacturer's specific codes.
P07xx to P08xx are generic codes for transmission.

TippyTurnip,
Here is my 2 cents:
Erase codes and see what pops up when you have transmission problem.
My guess is P0720 (transmission output speed sensor circuit fault) is the main cause of shifting problem.
One other long shot is P0135 (Oxygen sensor heater circuit B1S1 malfunction). Oxygen heater circuit and power for Transmission module share the common DME fuse #4.
Yeah dslboomer, my bad, should have been P07xx for tranny codes. I should have had that right because P0741 is why I decided to pursue a tranny swap (see sig).

Good call on the fuse #4 - It may not end up being that but the commonality between the two systems does raise questions.

/// MODS

Tags
330i, e46, zf