E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
tricott

My Ride: '04 325i
Is KBB accurate for ZHP values?

Hey all,

Interested in an 04 330i ZHP. I found one on craigslist that looks great, low mileage.

I valued it on KBB with the "performance package" option checked, and the result was a value several thousand below the guy's asking price. The picture KBB showed alongside the value was indeed a ZHP.

I'm wondering, since this is a special car and all, if KBB values are accurate. Could anyone shed some light?

Thanks!
tricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:46 PM   #2
EthirD

My Ride: '02 325iT, '07 X5
Current market prices would suggest kbb is not accurate on zhp values. I recently sold mine, and while this may make me sound like a jerk, I ignored anyone who came at me with an offer quoting a blue book price.

Even manual ZSP 330i cars are starting to go for more than blue book. Expect to spend more than $13k for a manual-trans ZHP with low mileage in good condition, and up from there if there's a good maintenance history, more desirable color, or other factors

I should add - that's just my experience. Most people selling a ZHP will know what they're selling, but there's always the chance you can find one with an owner or a dealer who doesn't know what they've got. In that case, blue book away.

BMW CCA Member #480924

Last edited by EthirD; 08-07-2016 at 04:50 PM.
EthirD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #3
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
I don't use KBB for anything other than insurance reasons. It's not accurate for really any car. It quoted an e30 at probably about $2k and you can't find a running one for that. KBB is a joke honestly.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #4
mleindek

My Ride: 2009 X5
KBB is usually way off market value on any car, if you'll trade it in they'll sure use KBB to lowball you but the real price is the one in the streets (craigslist, local ads, etc).
mleindek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:07 AM   #5
r2

My Ride: 2002 330cic
craigslist? LOL
nooooo. everything is way over priced on CL.
if in the states, use the NADA guide, and compare that finding to EDMOND'S. any one can ASK anything for a car.
but with these 2 sources, you can see what dealers calculate its value at and what actual sale prices are.
r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:43 AM   #6
challengerE46

My Ride: E46 M3, 2000 323iT
i was surprised to see several ZHP sedans for sale in south florida on CL. I might go to look at one this week...
challengerE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:12 AM   #7
g92069

My Ride: 330ci ZHP
KBB, N.A.D.A., Edmunds, etc....don't sell or buy cars, they value them. Their value, while occasionally useful, is not the gospel. Their values, coupled with values from other sources, CL, Autotrader, etc....can help you in determining a reasonable price. The ZHP i eventually purchased was listed at $9,900.

Negative. There is just as many ZHP owners that over value their car as the KBB's, etc. that undervalue cars.

I compiled a a list of the various cars in my area that had either been recently sold or were still for sale. I did my best to make them comparable in features, condition, and mileage. I put them all together, along with pricing from KBB, etc., and determined an average price.

I met the $9,900 car, looked it over then explained to the owner, pending a PPI, I would pay him $7,900 for the car. He was beside himself. I explained to him how I had determined the car's value. No emotion, just what the market was asking and getting.

After the PPI, we settled on $8,100...FYI, Black 2006 330CI,

Last edited by g92069; 08-08-2016 at 08:14 AM. Reason: spelling
g92069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:27 PM   #8
seattle330

My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by g92069 View Post
KBB, N.A.D.A., Edmunds, etc....don't sell or buy cars, they value them. Their value, while occasionally useful, is not the gospel. Their values, coupled with values from other sources, CL, Autotrader, etc....can help you in determining a reasonable price. The ZHP i eventually purchased was listed at $9,900.

Negative. There is just as many ZHP owners that over value their car as the KBB's, etc. that undervalue cars.

I compiled a a list of the various cars in my area that had either been recently sold or were still for sale. I did my best to make them comparable in features, condition, and mileage. I put them all together, along with pricing from KBB, etc., and determined an average price.

I met the $9,900 car, looked it over then explained to the owner, pending a PPI, I would pay him $7,900 for the car. He was beside himself. I explained to him how I had determined the car's value. No emotion, just what the market was asking and getting.

After the PPI, we settled on $8,100...FYI, Black 2006 330CI,
I tried to bamboozle the guys I brought my car from by doing a regression analysis of local pricing as a function of mileage and options (deliberately ignoring the ZHP part), and then punched the stats of their car in to lop about a grand off their asking price. The guy knew it was a ZHP and didn't budge more than a few hundred bucks....
seattle330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kbb, performance package, valuation, zhp, zhp 330i