E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 325 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #21
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2007 Ford Edge
The big question is how much would you pay for this mod?

The R&D for the one in the DIY was $430. Parts cost is $57 + core, not to mention what he would charge for labor. I have no idea how long it would take him to pump 10 out at time in a production fashion, but lets just say 2 hours (not to mention shipping and handling), @ $7.25/hr. That's $71.50, then add a 3% profit margin and that comes to rough $74 dollars (+/-).

Still willing to ship that core?

I'm just surprised that no one has done all this work, then sent out the specs to China and have them made by the millions at 60 cents a unit, then sell to the slobbering masses for $50.

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese
BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #22
semcoinc

My Ride: 330Xi/335Xi/E53-X5
Mad crazy props to the OP on this project. These pieces are long overdue for a makeover.

This posting has inspired me and a friend to begin offering a makeover of these that incorporates Li-ion battery and Cree LED technology into the old package. I will post pictures and preliminary specs of our offering soon. We expect to offer a price of the unit with a buyer sending in their "core" and we will offer a price for no core submittal on a limited (as supply dictates) basis.

I'll be able to firm up the pricing as soon as the prototypes are finished and the Bill of Materials is defined and fully tallied.

If volume overwhelmed our US capacity to produce, we have connections to have it made in volume in China.

Stay tuned!

Mike

Mike C.
DFW/ATW
E46/330Xi, E90/335Xi, E53/X5 4.4i
semcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #23
rguti153

My Ride: 2004 zhp / 2000 323i
Pics when product done

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
rguti153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #24
semcoinc

"Das Licht"

Hi Folks,

As promised, my friend and I have created a BMW Flashlight conversion and named it "Das Licht" (The Light in German )

See the pictures of the performance below

I have 7 prototypes available for sale. The performance is about 300 lumens and no less than 360mah lithium ion rechargeable battery.

Case cosmetics along the seam where the replacement switch is located are not great but we are getting better at figuring this out. The picture below is representative of the prototype quality at this time:

Introductory pricing on these prototypes is $30 + a $10 core charge and FREE Shipping (I need your core to make the conversions). Your core charge will be refunded when I receive your core.

PM me if you are interested in one of the prototypes.

Props to the OP for sparking us into action to make a production viable prototype.

Mike

Mike C.
DFW/ATW

Last edited by semcoinc; 06-04-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #25
Taurev

My Ride: 78.320_01.325_03.M3
I've got some extras from junkyard finds ready to send in when you get the final product looking a little better!
Taurev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #26
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

My Ride: 328i, M3, 525iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by semcoinc View Post
Hi Folks,

As promised, my friend and I have created a BMW Flashlight conversion and named it "Das Licht" (The Light in German )

I received this today, very impressive. Super bright, no comparison to the original, more of a flood type light. I think the package is fine, you have to look closely to notice that is has been disassembled, a casual observer would not notice.
Well done, I will need two more.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #27
semcoinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurev View Post
I've got some extras from junkyard finds ready to send in when you get the final product looking a little better!
Thanks, stay tuned for when we advertise for cores.

Mike

Mike C.
DFW/ATW
Old 06-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #28
semcoinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniel1 View Post
I received this today, very impressive. Super bright, no comparison to the original, more of a flood type light. I think the package is fine, you have to look closely to notice that is has been disassembled, a casual observer would not notice.
Well done, I will need two more.
Thanks for the compliments! Please post them here as well if you wouldn't mind

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1040683

I still have ONE more prototypes remaining and we are building another batch as soon as the cores I have purchased on Ebay begin arriving.

We will be at www.bimmerflashlight.com soon.

Thanks for being our first customer.

Mike

Mike C.
DFW/ATW

Last edited by semcoinc; 06-09-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #29
wakup

My Ride: 2001 330i
Thank you all for the compliments on my flashlight! I became busy right after this project with a slightly bigger project where I am gutting and rebuilding a house I just bought. A sledgehammer takes significantly less patience, knowledge, and dexterity! I would post a DIY but it wouldn't belong here.

I smiled the other day when I grabbed my flashlight to finish cleaning up after a day of construction. It hadn't been in the car since February and it still had a charge and was super bright!

You guys are right that it wouldn't be worth paying me for the materials and labor since, as Brucifer325 pointed out, it would be way over $74. And I would charge more than minimum wage.

Semcoinc, I am glad that you were able to do something similar and able to source it so that that it is cheap enough to buy. Congrats! I have some design suggestions that I will PM you when I get time.

Colin
wakup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #30
SteveN2

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
This is certainly one of those 'cool' mods that you'd think someone would have done a while ago.

Anyone thinking of putting these in 'mass production', besides Das Licht (poor customer service experience to date)? I'm about to do some custom PC build work and am tempted to do a run, but really don't have time to sell/market/etc, so an outright purchase would be better for me at the moment (heh, like I need 3 flashlights in the car!).
SteveN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #31
drummr8

My Ride: '06 M5, 05 ZHP Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveN2 View Post
This is certainly one of those 'cool' mods that you'd think someone would have done a while ago.

Anyone thinking of putting these in 'mass production', besides Das Licht (poor customer service experience to date)? I'm about to do some custom PC build work and am tempted to do a run, but really don't have time to sell/market/etc, so an outright purchase would be better for me at the moment (heh, like I need 3 flashlights in the car!).
I'm considering it. I'm an EE major and I might mess around with this a little in the coming months. I'd like to work on my smoke machine design a bit more as well, and make it look a bit more professional lol

This is really cool tho! Thanks for posting up how to do it. I might just make my own version for myself
drummr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #32
ELCID86

My Ride: 2004 330i (ZHP) x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rguti153 View Post
Want one
+1 nicely done.

- Shawn's 2004 IR/Alc. w/6MT ZHP (1/351 built)- http://bit.ly/1nhx4gk

- 2004 OB/Sand w/6MT ZHP (1/25 built)- (sold)

- 2004 OB/NB w/AT ZHP- (sold)
ELCID86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #33
semcoinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveN2 View Post
........besides Das Licht (poor customer service experience to date)
SteveN2,

For the record, I do not accept checks for Das Licht purchases. PayPal is the only form of payment that I choose to accept.

I offered to make an accommodation to accept a USPS or WalMart Money Order from you, however, you found that to be unworkable.

As of today, I have 1067 feedback and 100% positive rating on eBay. I'll let my track record of customer service dealings speak for themselves

http://www.ebay.com/usr/semco-inc

Mike

Mike C.
DFW/ATW
Old 04-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #34
DEADF15H

My Ride: 2001 325i Auto
This light is awesome! Looks straight from the factory! Used it last night to check under the hood.
Was delivered as promised within 5 days, was expecting longer, easy transaction with Paypal.
Well Done Sir! I'm seriously considering ordering a spare, if so I'll send in my old one.

Last edited by DEADF15H; 04-01-2015 at 01:20 PM.
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #35
semcoinc

It's great to hear your satisfaction with the product DEADFI5H!

I have a few more units (maybe 5 in Wisconsin and 5 or so in Texas) available until my supply is exhausted.

Some units are more cosmetically appealing than others and they deliver much greater function than cosmetic appeal. They're not raggedy by any means but the cases have been opened and a new switch fitted to accomplish the conversion.

Mike

Mike C.
DFW/ATW
Old 05-13-2015, 11:26 AM   #36
illuminated

My Ride: '99 S2 M3 | 5MT
Well looks like I'm gonna throw in the towel and go by a soldering iron. I love DIYs like this that simply enhance the car, nothing else. Thanks a lot for the post; have always wanted a brighter flashlight. The OEM one is lame, you're better off with a bic lighter

F3RN

Need anything 3D printed? I'm your guy. Send me a pm
illuminated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:59 PM   #37
Archbid

My Ride: 2003 330cic
I created 3d drawings for a USB flashlight mod for 3d Printing (see this link http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...672&highlight= )

I would be happy to modify the drawings to accommodate batteries and circuitry if you want to print cases for the flashlight (send me dimensions). The hard work was matching the crazy socket grooves. The rest is pretty easy to mod, and 3d printing is plenty clean enough. It is not injection molded ABS, but it is adequate.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flashlight, glovebox, led, lithium, torch