E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2016, 03:16 AM   #1
LTCTerry

My Ride: 2003 325i
Power steering pump or something else?

Situation - On Friday the steering on the 2003 325i worked great. On Saturday it didn't. I've searched here and elsewhere online...

The symptoms indicate to me a power steering pump failure. Alternator, water pump, a/c all work fine. Power steering fluid reservoir is full.

Friday afternoon I pressure washed the underside of the car at the base auto craft shop. I made several short trips after that - all was fine.

I don't see anything in any tutorial or DIY that indicates there might be an electrical connection/etc. that pressure washing may have dislodged/damaged.

So, could I have trashed my power steering pump simply by cleaning the bottom of the engine? It's just a coincidence? "Feces transpires?"

The whole pressure washing thing came about because I'm trying to find the source of leaking oil. It looks like the symptoms of the "usual suspect" oil filter housing gasket.

Question 1 - any thoughts on the above info?

Question 2 - since the power steering pump is coming out (?), and I'm going to replace the oil filter housing gasket, is there anything that I should reasonably consider at the same time? (Besides new belts)

Thanks!

Terry

PS I was aghast at the amount of oil, grease, dirt, and brake dust that came off the bottom of the car.
LTCTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:38 AM   #2
Danoman

My Ride: 2002 330i
I was wondering the same thing... need to get all the oil and yuck of mine to find those notorious leaks here too. Mine also did a weird thing yesterday after running mine through an automatic one that washes the undercarriage. Loss of power (like 2/3's of it coming home) but today ran fine. Crazy...

Good question asked, i think.
Danoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:07 AM   #3
ith5005

My Ride: 2004 330xi
what are the "symptoms"?
ith5005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:48 AM   #4
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Power steering pump or something else?

With the engine on remove the power steering fluid reservoir cap. Is the fluid moving?

I bet the pump died. It's a LUK 20 pump. People think this is a crappy pump, but in reality it fails because owners don't change the fluid. As a result the fluid gets dirty and the pump shaft breaks internally. You can check the pump by removing the main serpentine belt and pulling the pump's pulley to check for play. I bet it's kaput.

Replacing the pump isn't a tough job, but it is subject to scope creep. At that mileage the 4 hoses should be replaced. Also, the fluid reservoir should be replaced as it has a filter at the bottom. Buy a ZF reservoir as it's quite cheap. Also, the pump pulley is plastic so it too should be replaced along with the bolts. That way you don't have to mess with removing the bolts from the old pump. While you've got the pump out you might as well replace the oil filter housing gasket. It's about $6 from the dealer. Oh, the main VANOS hose should be replaced along with its 4 crush washers. While you're at it, you should replace the alternator's voltage regulator. You'll need to identify which alternative brand is in your car as BMW sourced alternators from Bosch and Valeo, a French company. They are not interchangeable!

I warned you about scope creep!!!!

Last edited by markusmarkus; 08-22-2016 at 07:59 AM.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:55 AM   #5
LTCTerry

Quote:
what are the "symptoms"?
A good biceps workout trying to steer. Almost impossible at low speed, stiff but easier at road speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
With the engine on remove the power steering fluid reservoir cap. Is the fluid moving?
I did try that. I would describe the fluid surface as "looks like it's vibrating due to general vibration rather than any pumping action." I don't have any ready way of just pulling fluid out to see if there's truly a pump return or not. I guess I could go buy a turkey baster...

Terry
Old 08-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #6
naimadd

My Ride: 03 325i / 02 325iT
Is there a moaning/groaning sound when you turn the wheel while not moving? If there is, its definitely your ps pump.
naimadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #7
LTCTerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by naimadd View Post
Is there a moaning/groaning sound when you turn the wheel while not moving? If there is, its definitely your ps pump.
Literally? No. There is no sound at all. I essentially cannot turn the wheel if the car isn't moving. It's the same as if you've turned the key but not yet started the car.

When stopped the steering wheel only moves through great hand-over-hand effort, just like in the old days with no power steering.

However, there was no moaning/groaning sound before this problem cropped up.

Terry
Old 08-23-2016, 07:55 AM   #8
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Power steering pump is kaput!!!!
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:12 AM   #9
tcphoto

My Ride: E92 335 MT Coupe
It's a fairly easy DIY, mine went out suddenly back in April at 135K miles. I replaced the reservoir two years ago but it's time was up. Put it up on ramps, pull the belly pan, loosen the pump bolts while the serpentine belt is on, replace the pulley if it's nicked and check if the hoses are leaking.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:06 PM   #10
LTCTerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
Power steering pump is kaput!!!!
The above statement is correct.

I started this thread on August 22. Today I replaced the power steering pump. What a difference it makes having power steering again!

I'm fortunate to have access to a really super, award-winning base auto craft shop. Over the weekend I replaced the oil level sensor, the oil filter housing gasket, and the power steering pump.

None of this would have been possible without the DIYs here ( OK, lots of YouTube videos, too).

Thanks to all who make this such a great, useful repository of information. It has made a difference.

Terry

Last edited by LTCTerry; 01-11-2017 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Corrected a typo, 11 January 2017

Tags
belts, maintenance, oil filter housing, power steering, pump