E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
Nolans328ci

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328ci
Winter Kit

Right now I have performance tires and about 1.75 inches of ground clearance. With winter approaching, I am wondering about what to do in harsh, snowy weather. Normally I would be driving the old jeep, but it is on its last leg. It started out as a joke, but I am actually considering lifting the coilovers to max height and putting the stock wheels on with tire socks or some snow chain alternative when it snows (the stock rims are 16" so the tires are thick). Is this a bad idea, with regards to damaging the coils or the car itself since it will be sitting higher than stock? Also, can the suspension system besides the coilovers be damaged by it sitting high? It would only be for the winter cause when snow season is over it's getting dumped back down again.

p.s. Might even get some mud flaps to top it all off
Nolans328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
gusthehater

You may be able to raise it a bit, but you'll most likely need an allotment after you do.
gusthehater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:04 PM   #3
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Raise it to stock height and put snow tires on your stock wheels. Done.

Current: '02 330i/5 '10 Mazda5 '72 240Z
Past: '85 GSL-SE '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5 '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S
Spannerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:12 PM   #4
Nicker

My Ride: 323ci
I'm stock height and once it gets snowy over here I throw on some studded hakkapeliitta tires and leave em on til thing start to thaw.

00' 323ci - 170hp
Nicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:39 PM   #5
asianisafish

My Ride: 330ci
Where are you located? How bad is the snow? I'm in Illinois and I leave my coil overs down low and just put my winter tires on and I usually do fine. Only time I worry is when the snow plays push all the snow in front of driveways or entrances of parking lots and I end up plowing it myself

You'll have to get used to the snow noise crunching under your car though
asianisafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:03 PM   #6
E46Envyy

My Ride: 04 330ci Auto
If you raise it past stock you may not be able to have a proper alignment. this could also damage the ball joints. I may be wrong(probably) but a thread earlier today someone asked about suspension parts and using ZHP control arms on a standard e46. The result was you can if the car had sport suspension or was lowered. Using this same idea, that stock ball joints may not allow for higher ride hight over stock

Also I'm currently lowered and live in Canada which is cancer for cars not to mention lowered cars; I'm not worrying. Did I mention the snowplow on the front of my car jk
E46Envyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #7
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Raise it to stock height and put snow tires on your stock wheels. Done.
Yes. Exactly this. If you add a limited slip your car will be unstoppable and you'll probably do better than people in Jeeps and Land Rovers who didn't buy the correct tires.

Last edited by lingon300k; 11-16-2016 at 09:12 PM.
lingon300k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:58 PM   #8
Jason325xi
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 325xi 5speed
I got a set of wheels with Dunlop winter sports for my xi of the let go app, and I literally cart wait for it to snow to try em out! besides that i hate the snow lol but if you look around on Craigslist and stuff you get lucky sometimes and find good deals.
Adjustable koni yellow front struts, Rob43 9-way adjustable rear shocks, Special Rob43 lowering springs, supreme power drop hats, billet aluminum rear shock mounts, poly RTAB, G.A.S. Disa kit, G.A.S. 1.2bar expansion tank cap

I run 6010 overhead in a t-shirt!

Last edited by Jason325xi; 11-16-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Jason325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:07 PM   #9
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
Oh, man. I just saw your join date. You won't believe how well this car does in the snow. I was blasting past pickup trucks and Jeeps all winter. Never a single problem. Sometimes, the system will slow you down as it brakes a wheel to transfer torque. Other than that, you won't notice a thing.
lingon300k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:17 PM   #10
Jason325xi
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 325xi 5speed
Oh i can't wait! Besides the Saab i used drive which was fwd, I've always had rwd without snow tires so I'm probably in for a pleasant surprise
Adjustable koni yellow front struts, Rob43 9-way adjustable rear shocks, Special Rob43 lowering springs, supreme power drop hats, billet aluminum rear shock mounts, poly RTAB, G.A.S. Disa kit, G.A.S. 1.2bar expansion tank cap

I run 6010 overhead in a t-shirt!

Jason325xi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
328ci, suspension, tire covers, winter, winter mode