E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2016, 05:39 AM   #1
Gabrielito88

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Strange noise help me please

Hi everyone, i noticed this strange noise that the car makes when the engine goes up to about 2000 rpm and only when its cool before reaching operating temp.
Does anyone know what this can be?
I can only hear it inside the car, i dont think its coming from the engine bay itself, i checked every plastic part inside the car but nothing seems to be the culprit.
I'm thinking its something from under the car maybe?
Any help would be apreciated.

Gabrielito88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:06 AM   #2
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Nothing is vibrating in your door panels? No items in door side pockets? Maybe something rattling somewhere in the interior?

Just to make sure it's nothing in the engine bay, open the hood and listen as a friend brings the revs up to 2K. It's hard to hear the sound in the video, but I believe it's the low rattle noise I hear every time it hits about 2000 RPM.
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:08 AM   #3
Gabrielito88

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkinsc330ci View Post
Nothing is vibrating in your door panels? No items in door side pockets? Maybe something rattling somewhere in the interior?

Just to make sure it's nothing in the engine bay, open the hood and listen as a friend brings the revs up to 2K. It's hard to hear the sound in the video, but I believe it's the low rattle noise I hear every time it hits about 2000 RPM.
Yes, im sure its nothing like that, as i described it just goes away when the car warms up.
I tried to hear inside the engine bay moving the throttle body flap with my hand but i couldn't hear anyting...
Old 10-20-2016, 06:33 AM   #4
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Interesting. I missed that note about it only being present on cold startup.

Does it occur only while in park? Or do you hear this noise while driving as well? I would assume you do, but I suppose nothing's off the table. Since it's hard to hear the noise in the video, could you describe it a little more? Does it sound like plastic on plastic? Metal? A combination? I'll leave you with this link from paraklas about rattling noises in the E46 coupe. Maybe you'll be able to find your solution in there.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=605933
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:38 PM   #5
Gabrielito88

It sounds like plastic on metal or something hard, thick.... It happens while driving too, at 2000 rpm, only when the engine is cold. Once warmed up it stops doing it. I just hope is nothing serious...
Old 11-01-2016, 05:46 AM   #6
Gabrielito88

It seems that the noise is coming from the vanos unit. I'm not 100% sure but its coming from the engine. Today i opened up the hood to check the noise and its definitely coming somewhere from the engine. Now it makes sense that the noise stops when the engine warms up because metal expands and clearances between parts should reduce. I'm doing the vanos repair job next month hopefully, next will be the disa valve.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:04 AM   #7
Gabrielito88

Just in case if anyone wanted to know the fix for this: the noise came from the disa valve. I purchased a repair kit from ebay vanos-bmw user and installed it with success. The noise is completely gone!

Tags
noise