Front-end Vibration; 330Xi - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #41
Nachos23

My Ride: 2009 335Xi Sedan
Send a message via MSN to Nachos23
Update. Haven't touched suspension since repacking CV joints and car is running great. CV joints were not too bad afterall. I got the alignment adjusted (it was off front and rear toe-in), got my summer wheels balanced and installed and everythings great. Staying "as is" for the moment. Will be doing front brake job in next few days including rotors, pads, caliper rebuild, performance caliper pins (replace stock rubber ones) and brake bleed. Been having steering wheel shake when applying brakes lightly a sure sign of warped rotors. Believe, that is final piece to puzzle. Suspension been great since CV repack, but was still getting ocassional pulling/grabbing which I have identified as right caliper.

Although I must have, I don't recall ever changing the rotors before, so it's possible they are original (225,000 km??). If I have it's been well over 150,000km since. The front calipers are original; 1st rebuild.....

2000 Z3M Roadster

Nachos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #42
330xischeid

My Ride: 01 330XI
Need some help on this topic. I had torn the boot a couple months back and just last weekend had both front axles changed out. 01 330xi 94k. I have h&r springs, Bilstein struts, car isnt crazy low but it isnt very far from it. Im now getting a little vibration under acceleration which does not occur unless im getting on it a little, and also around 90-100 mph.....Im no mechanic or even close but it appears this happens when the max torque is applied for the most part. Is this something that is possible prior to the axles being fully broken in or is this indicitive of a deeper issue? I have a warranty on the axles and labor so if i need to move on these I would like to sooner than later. Thanks for the help.
330xischeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #43
botaman

My Ride: 330xi/530 Blown
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330xischeid View Post
Need some help on this topic. I had torn the boot a couple months back and just last weekend had both front axles changed out. 01 330xi 94k. I have h&r springs, Bilstein struts, car isnt crazy low but it isnt very far from it. Im now getting a little vibration under acceleration which does not occur unless im getting on it a little, and also around 90-100 mph.....Im no mechanic or even close but it appears this happens when the max torque is applied for the most part. Is this something that is possible prior to the axles being fully broken in or is this indicitive of a deeper issue? I have a warranty on the axles and labor so if i need to move on these I would like to sooner than later. Thanks for the help.

If the new axles are not OEM then they are usually junk. You're better off rebuild your OEM then buying some Chinese made brand.
botaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #44
botaman

My Ride: 330xi/530 Blown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachos23 View Post
Update. Haven't touched suspension since repacking CV joints and car is running great. CV joints were not too bad afterall. I got the alignment adjusted (it was off front and rear toe-in), got my summer wheels balanced and installed and everythings great. Staying "as is" for the moment. Will be doing front brake job in next few days including rotors, pads, caliper rebuild, performance caliper pins (replace stock rubber ones) and brake bleed. Been having steering wheel shake when applying brakes lightly a sure sign of warped rotors. Believe, that is final piece to puzzle. Suspension been great since CV repack, but was still getting ocassional pulling/grabbing which I have identified as right caliper.

Although I must have, I don't recall ever changing the rotors before, so it's possible they are original (225,000 km??). If I have it's been well over 150,000km since. The front calipers are original; 1st rebuild.....
Warped rotors will give you a feeling of pulsation in the pedal, if you don't feel the pulsation on the foot pedal then more likely control arms, worn tie rods, blown struts, etc....
botaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #45
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by botaman View Post
If the new axles are not OEM then they are usually junk. You're better off rebuild your OEM then buying some Chinese made brand.
+1. My passenger side FEQ brand axle lasted three weeks.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:14 PM   #46
Nachos23

To answer and respond...... The problem with the vibration is usually associated with inner CV joints being dry. Heard of similar issues with aftermarket axles. I was going to replace with FCP Groton parts, but will opt for local rebuild instead when time to avoid just such an issue. I would check the remaining suspension components for wear and/or play, but normally the vibration you're feeling is related to inner CV boots.... in fact this thread ws started due to that specific issue. Read the complete thread, you will see the efforts some have gone to identify and fix this issue. That is why I posted the update today. Many of spend HUGE $$$ to fix an elusive but otherwise easy fix. I was fortunate that my boots did not tear, only leak from seals, so clean, repack and reseal; DONE! The VERY minor vibration I still feel under full load, is likely due to the the CV joints being worn and exposed to elements for so long before being repaired.

As far as brakes are concerned. I absolutely have wrapped rotors. I'm 49 and have been driving for over 30 years and know that feeling without even thinking about it. Just did the wife's Odyssey last weekend for exactly the same issue and she runs and brakes perfect now. No shake!
Since I do all my own work, I regularly check for wear in the items you mentioned Botaman, but all are tight and dry as they say. Just had an alignment done last week and they again checked everything and amazingly are still all good (all are ORIGINAL FACTORY installed). That's right; original FCABs, Control arms, tie rods, sway bar links, balljoints, etc. Car has 225,000km and they're checked for wear every 2-3 months whenever I'm under the car.... and by professionals I know that own their own shops......

2000 Z3M Roadster

Old 03-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #47
MileHiXi
Banned

My Ride: '02 330xi
I don't think I'll ever repack an already torn CV boot again. I'd rather just replace the axle and presume the CV joint is toast than repack the boot only to have the joint fail anyway at a later date.
MileHiXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #48
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
Quote:
To answer and respond...... The problem with the vibration is usually associated with inner CV joints being dry. Heard of similar issues with aftermarket axles. I was going to replace with FCP Groton parts, but will opt for local rebuild instead when time to avoid just such an issue. I would check the remaining suspension components for wear and/or play, but normally the vibration you're feeling is related to inner CV boots.... in fact this thread ws started due to that specific issue. Read the complete thread, you will see the efforts some have gone to identify and fix this issue. That is why I posted the update today. Many of spend HUGE $$$ to fix an elusive but otherwise easy fix. I was fortunate that my boots did not tear, only leak from seals, so clean, repack and reseal; DONE! The VERY minor vibration I still feel under full load, is likely due to the the CV joints being worn and exposed to elements for so long before being repaired.

As far as brakes are concerned. I absolutely have wrapped rotors. I'm 49 and have been driving for over 30 years and know that feeling without even thinking about it. Just did the wife's Odyssey last weekend for exactly the same issue and she runs and brakes perfect now. No shake!
Since I do all my own work, I regularly check for wear in the items you mentioned Botaman, but all are tight and dry as they say. Just had an alignment done last week and they again checked everything and amazingly are still all good (all are ORIGINAL FACTORY installed). That's right; original FCABs, Control arms, tie rods, sway bar links, balljoints, etc. Car has 225,000km and they're checked for wear every 2-3 months whenever I'm under the car.... and by professionals I know that own their own shops......
just cause they are original doesn't mean they aren't total ****. i agree the minor vibration is from your cv joints getting dry and worn and you not repacking them fast enough i just did my front axles at 130k. they started going bad and clicking around 80k so meh
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #49
Nachos23

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
just cause they are original doesn't mean they aren't total ****. i agree the minor vibration is from your cv joints getting dry and worn and you not repacking them fast enough i just did my front axles at 130k. they started going bad and clicking around 80k so meh
I would agree entirely, except the mechanic whose shop I use for my bigger jobs, has checked the entire suspension and drivetrain from front to back; as have I separately and he says everything is tight. I went the following weekend and checked it all again myself; all tight. Just last weekend had a 4 wheel alignment done by one of the top alignment shops in the city (been around for 35 yrs; service all high-end vehicles) and they too said everything is tight + in spec. Inner CVs don't click usually, that's usually outter CVs, but my inner ones were binding after getting hot or when cold. I never heard ANY clicking sounds.

Might just swapout FCABs, Control arms and driveshafts in the spring (depending on tax refund amount) just because of age, but they are all working great! With the mods I've been doing, I've also had the entire front-end apart a few times and checked each piece individually then too (Nov)......

Unless there are further issues, going to do my front brakes this weekend the car should be perfect. The "floaty" feeling I had was resolved by the alignment.

2000 Z3M Roadster

Old 12-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #50
VanNuys303

My Ride: 03' DINAN 330XI
Sorry for the bump of an old thread But I'm having the exact same problem with my lowered 330xi.
Having a vibration under the same conditions, brand new tires, best alignment possible with the drop, all rims are balanced, passenger side cv axle has been replaced 3 times and the outer boot broke again last night.

A little more info on the repacking of the cv, are you referring to pretty much regreasing the joints?

Any help would be great..
VanNuys303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #51
Nachos23

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNuys303 View Post
Sorry for the bump of an old thread But I'm having the exact same problem with my lowered 330xi.
Having a vibration under the same conditions, brand new tires, best alignment possible with the drop, all rims are balanced, passenger side cv axle has been replaced 3 times and the outer boot broke again last night.

A little more info on the repacking of the cv, are you referring to pretty much regreasing the joints?

Any help would be great..

The vibration you're experiencing is from the inside CV boots only. Outter boots cause binding, etc when turning. As far as inside boots are concerned, I got away with just re-packing inner boots, but you need to check for wear of the CV joint first. If it's badly worn from lack of grease (alot of play in CV once cleaned), then you're talking replacement, but I can tell you from having 180,000 miles and having repacked both innner and outter boots several times on mine (it's lowered too), the CVs are remarkably resiliant and you should hopefully be able to just re-pack (hopefully boot isn't torn, or you're pulling the axles to replace boot) and you should be fine. Check the specs on amount of grease to use. It's only like 90g (one small packet if you get the grease that way), so the boot isn't supposed to be completely packed with grease. Providing the CV joint isn't done, that should address your issue.

2000 Z3M Roadster

Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #52
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Quote:
The vibration you're experiencing is from the inside CV boots only. Outter boots cause binding, etc when turning. As far as inside boots are concerned, I got away with just re-packing inner boots, but you need to check for wear of the CV joint first. If it's badly worn from lack of grease (alot of play in CV once cleaned), then you're talking replacement, but I can tell you from having 180,000 miles and having repacked both innner and outter boots several times on mine (it's lowered too), the CVs are remarkably resiliant and you should hopefully be able to just re-pack (hopefully boot isn't torn, or you're pulling the axles to replace boot) and you should be fine. Check the specs on amount of grease to use. It's only like 90g (one small packet if you get the grease that way), so the boot isn't supposed to be completely packed with grease. Providing the CV joint isn't done, that should address your issue.
LIsten to this man he speaks the truth. Ive been there done that with the vibration thing.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #53
conv440

My Ride: 05 M3 Vert 04 330xi
Guess what this weekend's project is?

Photobucket

The inner and left outter CV boot were covered under warranty when they failed. CPO warranty ran out in July, this one's on me.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #54
officer140

My Ride: 01 330xi, 99 TLR
Just curious, did you check the motor mounts.
officer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #55
Nachos23

Quote:
Originally Posted by officer140 View Post
Just curious, did you check the motor mounts.
Motor mounts are not typically the culprit for this type of issue. Bad motor mounts are usually noticable as a vibration @ idle. Did mine before this issue ocurred and had no effect on the vibration.

Good thing to check while you're down there anyway.

2000 Z3M Roadster

Old 06-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #56
pjaneiro

My Ride: 2004 330IX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330xie46 View Post
im getting vibration in my steering wheel on my 330xi accelerating between 40-60 mph and breaking in the the 50 mph range. so i should check my my cv joints to?

i have had my wheels balanced and car aligned. i was thinking a bent tie rod?

thanks
Sorry to bring up an old thread...

Did you ever get this fixed ? I've replaced ball joints, cv axles and checked tie rods, it only occurs accelerating between 40-60 mph and breaking in the the 50 mph range also

I am at a loss
pjaneiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #57
Bubbachukin

My Ride: BMW 325XI
Thats a control arm
Bubbachukin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330xi, cv boots, shaking, suspension