E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
E46Shootist

My Ride: 2003 e39, 2005 e46
Ribbon cable mirror not working

Hello All,
This will be my first post on this site. I recently purchased a 2005 e46 for my wife. She was a little neglected but thankfully not abused, and with only 80k, I felt she was worth the investment. I've gone through pretty much the whole car but the passenger mirror has stumped me.

I knew the mirror was not working at time of purchase and after being quoted an enormously large sum for a new motor (around 700) i went to the junk yard for a replacement. Found one and got to work.

Upon taking the door apart I was stunned to find that the motor was controlled by a ribbon cable rather than standard wires. And not the type of ribbon cable from the old computer drives. This cable is as thin as paper and extremely delicate. I presume that is also the cause of my problem.

The ribbon cable was unplugged but unfortunately plugging it in did not fix the problem.

A test with an audible circuit tester confirmed that the plug for the mirror (which only has three connectors) is receiving ground, hot, and a signal. The signal lead also made different tones for each of the possible directions on the mirror control.

I did not test the mirror defroster with the audible tester, but I assume there is also a signal to the mirror to activate the defroster as there are no other leads going to the mirror.

I completely removed to motor unit. And pried off the back side. The new motor unit contains a integrated circuitry behind the motor. So there is no way of me using the junk yard find as it has six wires running from the door... Presumably with control circuitry located before the mirror.

The ribbon to the motor unit has something I've never seen before and I'm hoping someone here can identify it for me and tell me its function. While the plug on the door side had only three connectors, as the ribbon passes through the door there is a plastic torpedo-shaped object that binds a second three wire ribbon to the first wire, possibly a splice. So on the inside of the door, there is only a three-wire ribbon. On the outside there are two three-wire ribbons. All six wire ribbon leads go to the circuitry on the back of the motor. From the motor there are two wires that connect to the defroster and a set of wires (I don't recall the count) that go to as unattached plug... Possibly for programming?

I did continuity tests from just after the motor unit's plug to the wires just after the torpedo shaped object. Only one wire showed continuity.

Figuring that what ever the object is wasn't working, I pulled it apart. To my surprise I found no hard connection between the ribbon that ran straight through and the second ribbon that was attached. So is this a splice where that's all that ribbon cables need... Maybe some conductive adhesive? Or is it a way to transfer an inductive effect on the second ribbon for signaling... Or...?

I saw no obvious cuts or damage to any of the wires.

In doing research some people have soldered the ribbons with conductive adhesive, but I'm not sure that's the problem here as there are no obvious breaks.

Also some pictures of ribbon motor units show a three wire ribbon going all the way from the plug to three motor without the torpedo object. Possibly a new design?

So that's where I am. Hoping for some insight. Any and all ideas appreciated.

If no ideas...I'll probably try undoing the ribbon at the circuitry and soldering old fashioned wires to the circuit such that the wiring would be the same as if the torpedo is actually a splice.
E46Shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:58 PM   #2
E46Shootist

My Ride: 2003 e39, 2005 e46
Well I'm hoping pictures might get me a response...

I'm still debating trying to solder wires to the board, my worry being not that it might not work, but that I let the magic smoke out of some other processor before the door... any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ribbon mirror.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	649613   Click image for larger version

Name:	torpedo connection.png
Views:	67
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	649614   Click image for larger version

Name:	wires under torpedo.png
Views:	61
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	649615  
E46Shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:48 PM   #3
Steve0111

My Ride: 325i
The 2004 e46 I bought had the "drivers" mirror completely smashed off [ that's the passenger side for you guys and girls In the USA ] the only thing left were 2 ribbon cables going to the door, 1 with white connecter 1 with purple connecter, on the door connecters each have 3 wires, 6 in total. Managed to get a replacement second hand [still an arm and a leg as they are "rare' in New Zealand] only to find it didn't work. Checked there is power going to the mirror on green/brown wire with yellow spots checked the switch was OK but no function on the mirrors, back to searching again for me
Steve0111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #4
alan53

My Ride: bmw E46 330ci
Send a message via Yahoo to alan53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve0111 View Post
The 2004 e46 I bought had the "drivers" mirror completely smashed off [ that's the passenger side for you guys and girls In the USA ] the only thing left were 2 ribbon cables going to the door, 1 with white connecter 1 with purple connecter, on the door connecters each have 3 wires, 6 in total. Managed to get a replacement second hand [still an arm and a leg as they are "rare' in New Zealand] only to find it didn't work. Checked there is power going to the mirror on green/brown wire with yellow spots checked the switch was OK but no function on the mirrors, back to searching again for me
I have this exact problem now after hitting a crow!
If you find a solution please post it.
alan53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #5
aa240sx

My Ride: 2003 E46 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to aa240sx
Subscribed as well and I've seen the threads before that discuss using wires to create continuity for any 'breaks' in the ribbon cable to solve the issue.

In my case, the right mirror does dip when the car goes in reverse and I have also confirmed that the mirror switch is not the issue. I'm hoping there's some forward progress here.
1998 E36 M3 5 speed - sold
2003 E46 M3 SMG - Alpine White - 6speed conversion someday..
2001 E39 530i 5 speed - Anthracite Grey
aa240sx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e46, electric, mirror, power, ribbon