E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-11-2015, 10:31 AM   #21
89Bim3r

My Ride: BMW
OP A million thanks for posting this. Excellent work!!!

I referenced this DIY yesterday and it was spot on! had my phone handy and went step for step. Absolute easy job and can't imagine paying the $700 my indy shop wanted. took me a less than 2hrs. I will also add that i opted not to remove the Oil lines and just swiveled the alternator around a bit until it came off. While i was in there i changed out the the AC belt too. If you forget the belt routing, there are pictorials online you can reference.

I bought a BRAND NEW Valeo Alternator (pn#439317 from ECS shipped for $275. No core needed as it comes shipped directly from Valeo but ECS is a distributor) and the AC belt cost $18 from JMK BMW

14 Volts back to the battery! Wheeeew

Last edited by 89Bim3r; 06-11-2015 at 10:34 AM.
89Bim3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:38 AM   #22
silvert02

My Ride: m3 vert
Just completed this DIY. Thanks for the great post. I changed:

2002 e46 M3:

3 - tensioners/pulleys:
-One that was stuck to the top bolt of the alternator call the (idle pulley) $50
-One below the alternator called main drive belt tensioner $40
-One on the left side that holds the tension on the compressor belt called (serpentine accessory belt) $40

All were around $40 each at autozone. I would have gotten better brands but it was a last minute decision to replace them as they span freely and made noises, which means the grease has dried up and risk freezing in the future.

2 - Belts:
-One short belt (runs along to the compressor) called serpentine accessory belt. $20
One long one (runs the alternator side) called the main drive belt. $20

1 - Rebuilt BOSCH alternator was $157 and $77 core charge at http://eEuroparts.com. They ship a return label.

Saving $180 charged for labor by indy shop, I was able to use that money to purchase all the items above. My car now has new belts, pulleys, and working alternator.

NOTE: This alternator replacement solved my year long issue with EML light even after I changed the three TPS sensors (top and bottom of manifold, plus the petal) I would feel a few hesitations on the gas petal/car and the EML light will come on, but no LIMP mode, but the next time the car feels like that during the same trip, LIMP mode comes on.

No battery or alternator warning lights came on for me during the whole year this was going on. These last few days, everything on the dash just lights up and the car dies. (issue was the alternator wasn't working right and everything was running off the battery until it was totally dead.)

So happy the EML issue was resolved by the alternator replacement. _nr_
silvert02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #23
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Easy DIY. Whoever is doing this, should replace Oil filter housing gasket. Those go (at least on M54s) all the time. It would be an extra 15 mins on top of this

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:45 PM   #24
TypeRSTIM3

My Ride: E46 M3
Disconnecting the positive terminal of the battery first is dangerous.
Research shows it is necessary to disconnect the negative terminal first and reconnect it last.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...a1454/4213127/_nr_
TypeRSTIM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #25
wongjonsilver

My Ride: 2001 E46 LSB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemansM View Post
So what brand is everyone using for an alternator these days?
Sorry to bump an old thread but my alternator just kicked the bucket and is providing 12.1v while the car is on. Looking for replacement units... any suggestions ?
wongjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:53 PM   #26
TypeRSTIM3

My Ride: E46 M3
Bosch Remanufactured has worked well for me.
TypeRSTIM3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, diy, e46, m3, replacement