E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2017, 02:22 PM   #1
Seanconner

My Ride: 330i
2001 330i steering wobble

Recently after replacing the control arms and bushings as well as steering coupler my car has a weird twitch in steering. It drives straight most of the time but as soon as you hit a bump or imperfection it sends a vibration through the steering column and the wheel rocks back and forth. Most of the time the car stays planted but at speeds over 70 mph it will send you into the next lane.. not sure what his could be as everything feels tight in the suspension. The only thing that I myself could find that had play in it was the steering shaft itself which once replaced did absolutely nothing. Really needing to pin this down as the car is pretty much un-driveable at this point due to it being such a hassle to keep on the road and how annoying it is every time you go over a bump the whole steering wheel wobbles and clunks. I've been thinking MAYBE steering rack but have thought unlikely due to the fact that this problem wasn't there until after replacing CA's, Bushings and coupler (all at same time)
Seanconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:26 PM   #2
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
How much life left in your tires? Did you have an alignment done after replacing all the suspension components?

A misaligned E46 is pretty spooky to drive.

Current: '02 330i/5 '10 Mazda5 '72 240Z
Past: '85 GSL-SE '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5 '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #3
Seanconner

Two rear tires are brand new & fronts have about 75% tread left and in good condition, have tried rotating them all with correct psi for each. & yes after replacing these it was incredibly hard to drive and the first place it went was to get an alignment done which they said was "completely out". Even with the alignment out I could feel the steering wheel wobbling which felt out of ordinary even for the alignment bring out. Alignment fixed the pulling but not the uncontrollable wobble.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
what type of control arms and bushings did you install? if you used those powerflex ones i'd say the bushing popped out.

otherwise such a drastic change in steering would lead me to believe something wasn't installed correctly. or like maybe a defective balljoint being shot or bushing slop.

it isn't uncommon for people replacing CAs and CABs to feel other defective items on their car because it's tight now and the mush it was before hid stuff. but your description sounds much more than that.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
Seanconner

Honestly I'm not entirely sure of brand, it came in a complete suspension kit purchased off eBay which is sounding not to be the smartest. They did seem rather robust though and the bushings were tight as I had trouble getting them on. How can I tell if a bushing has "popped out"?
Old 04-28-2017, 04:56 PM   #6
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
"robust" new going in to be installed isn't the same as when it's seen real use if the product is defective/poor quality.

"eBay" doesn't mean it's bad, the sellers using eBay site might be selling a good brand. but too often people go to ebay for the cheapest parts and those are often crap china junk.

when you look underneath at the CAB "popsicle" you'd notice the black rubber bushing being out of place and moved out of the popsicle bracket.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:08 PM   #7
DEADF15H

My Ride: 2001 325i Auto
With few posts it's understandable that you'd find the best "deal" you could on ebay. My friends with other brands like Ford, Toyota and Honda do it all the time,with mostly positive results. They think I'm nuts for sticking to known quality brands or BMW parts for my E46. But your example is why I do.
Meyle HDs, Lemforder, or BMW are my brand of choice for CA kits.
The good news is it will take you half the time to reinstall a new kit.
Adjust search below for your year and model.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-meyle-hd...l-1/e463112-1/

https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/32...ol%20arm%20kit

Sent from my fireproof Samsung Note 4

Last edited by DEADF15H; 04-28-2017 at 07:17 PM.
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:22 PM   #8
ctad

My Ride: 330ci
Not that this is the problem, but the owner's manual actually states not to rotate the wheels.
ctad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:16 PM   #9
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Personally, I'm thinking you need a re-do. I replaced the entire suspension in my E36, and it drove straight as an arrow from the first moment it hit the floor. Not straight as an arrow, really. More like straight as a 5.56 round leaving the end of my rifle. The round goes precisely where I point it, I don't point it very well but that's a different issue. The arrow works an arc, sort of.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #10
SSchwab

My Ride: 99 328i, 00 Z3 2.8
When was the last time the struts and strut bearings were replaced?
SSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:20 PM   #11
44thmotiondrummer

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Do u hear a click when u turn? It could be the axle

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
44thmotiondrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:50 PM   #12
tech4tech

My Ride: 2004 325i
A while back I had replaced my front control arms and bushings with Meyle HDs -- a choice I now regret, purchased from oembimmerparts. When I took a car for alignment afterwards, they commented that the toe had to be adjusted by a rather large amount. Now I have bump-steer, and more specifically it feels that the vertical bumps of the road translate to jerking the steering wheel left and right. I am not sure if the replacement arms were substandard or something else is amiss.

Last edited by tech4tech; 05-01-2017 at 11:56 PM.
tech4tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:01 AM   #13
Kings323i

My Ride: 99' 323i
First off, where did you get your allignment done? They legit?
Old 05-02-2017, 01:07 AM   #14
tech4tech

My Ride: 2004 325i
My alignment was legit (sorry for hijacking this thread)
tech4tech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumps, shake, steering, wobble