E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 419 votes, 4.68 average.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #3461
PatrickSZ28

My Ride: '02 330i Sprt & Prem
Instead of making a new topic, I figured I would just post my question(s) here. I've been hunting for answers for this all over the internet.

So here's the situation, drove the 2002 330i up to the hospital to see my mother and as soon as I pulled into the parking lot, steam/smoke started coming out from under the hood and I heard a loud POP noise and all my coolant started rushing out.

Had the car towed home and trying to get to it when I can. I found out the pop noise I heard had to be from the expansion tank. It had a huge crack running down the side. I figured I could just replace the expansion tank and coolant and I would be good to go.

Replaced the expansion tank and tried to start the bleeding process but the air/heat will not blow anything out. I kept the car running for a little while and it seemed the temperature gauge was taking forever to get up to the middle position. At one point, steam started coming out of the bleeder screw so I shut it off and haven't tried starting it since.

I just had the cooling system overhauled (except radiator) about 20-30k miles ago so I would like to get her back on the road without doing all of this again if I can.

So my main questions are, What do I need to replace? I figure I might need a thermostat and/or water pump but I would like to keep this repair as cheap as I can, so I can try and get some more things repaired that need it. I didn't want to replace the thermostat/water pump and still have it sitting under the carport.

I also really hope I didn't do any damage to the engine when I had it running. I wish I had the funds right now to just take it to a mechanic but this is going to have to be a DIY job this time.

Any and all help is very much appreciated. I think I thought of everything but I can provide more info if needed. I'm sorry if this has been answered before but I didn't seem to find any information relevant to this.

Thanks.
PatrickSZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #3462
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
The whole point of this thread is relevant to this and my entire existence on this forum is for that matter as well. It's ok it can be overwhelming if you're new to it (you've been here since 09 though??)

Your first order of business is making sure the car has the correct amount of water/coolant. Did you put enough? Second, a thorough bleeding. Third, perfect sealing. Anything leaking? You mentioned steam coming out of the bleed screw. That should not happen unless the screw is broken somehow. what tank did you install?

Go back to the first page and see under the red letters "Does your system meet these criteria?"

Then read the bleed part.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #3463
RRRM8E

My Ride: 330Ci
what exactly got overhauled 20k ago?
RRRM8E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:33 AM   #3464
PatrickSZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
The whole point of this thread is relevant to this and my entire existence on this forum is for that matter as well. It's ok it can be overwhelming if you're new to it (you've been here since 09 though??)

Your first order of business is making sure the car has the correct amount of water/coolant. Did you put enough? Second, a thorough bleeding. Third, perfect sealing. Anything leaking? You mentioned steam coming out of the bleed screw. That should not happen unless the screw is broken somehow. what tank did you install?

Go back to the first page and see under the red letters "Does your system meet these criteria?"

Then read the bleed part.
I signed up back in 09 but I don't post here very often. The problem with bleeding is that I couldn't get the air or heat to blow anything out. It also seemed like the coolant never moved from the expansion tank anywhere either, it's why I'm thinking something else may be wrong like the water pump or thermostat
Old 04-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #3465
PatrickSZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRM8E View Post
what exactly got overhauled 20k ago?
Water pump, thermostat, exp. tank, hoses, belts. Can't remember if pulleys were done too.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:59 AM   #3466
Kpriest

My Ride: 2005 325i
I would remove the water pump and check the condition of the impeller first. Then proceed with adding coolant and bleeding.

Did you notice any leaks after you replaced the expansion tank and tried to fill the system?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Kpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #3467
Mango
e46mango.com

Remember by removing old or semi-old parts, you're going to break the seals and weaken already weakening seals. over time, the seals flatten and harden and their exact shape is on its last legs conformed to the bore of whatever is being sealed. upon reinstallation, that exact shape of the shrunken seal will never conform the same and you'll get leaks. you'll make problems worse or create problems that didn't exist. At this point, you need to fill, seal, and bleed. I'd of course recommend replacing everything.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:44 PM   #3468
PatrickSZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpriest View Post
I would remove the water pump and check the condition of the impeller first. Then proceed with adding coolant and bleeding.

Did you notice any leaks after you replaced the expansion tank and tried to fill the system?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Did not notice any leaks but the coolant never moved from the expansion tank. I'll see if I can get the water pump out soon to check the impeller, I have to order the fan tools cuz automatic
Old 04-18-2017, 05:46 PM   #3469
PatrickSZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Remember by removing old or semi-old parts, you're going to break the seals and weaken already weakening seals. over time, the seals flatten and harden and their exact shape is on its last legs conformed to the bore of whatever is being sealed. upon reinstallation, that exact shape of the shrunken seal will never conform the same and you'll get leaks. you'll make problems worse or create problems that didn't exist. At this point, you need to fill, seal, and bleed. I'd of course recommend replacing everything.
I figured as much lol I'll probably just go ahead and order the parts. Scratch my last post. The only thing still boggling me is the heat or air not working.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:47 PM   #3470
RRRM8E

My Ride: 330Ci
The lack of heat could be a faulty heater valve that has failed by coincidence, or not enough coolant in the system, or a faulty thermostat, or a failed pump. Puzzling, if those parts were replaced 20k ago.
RRRM8E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:49 PM   #3471
Kpriest

My Ride: 2005 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRM8E View Post
The lack of heat could be a faulty heater valve that has failed by coincidence, or not enough coolant in the system, or a faulty thermostat, or a failed pump. Puzzling, if those parts were replaced 20k ago.

I agree. Where did you get your parts from last time? Were they OEM?
Kpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:16 AM   #3472
Mango
e46mango.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickSZ28 View Post
I figured as much lol I'll probably just go ahead and order the parts. Scratch my last post. The only thing still boggling me is the heat or air not working.
could be a coincidence as said--the heater valve--or could be just a big pocket of air that you haven't worked out. the system can be finicky
Old 04-30-2017, 10:22 PM   #3473
Mbryant616

My Ride: 2004 325Ci Vert
DIY Cooling system refresh DONE!!!

Hey All, I am excited to report that this weekend I completed a full cooling system refresh (water pump, tstat, hoses, belts, exp. tank and radiator). I have never done any garage/mechanic work before,, but after studying this forum and several great videos on the subject, it was really a piece of cake. My 04 vert (109k mi) had what appeared to be all original cooling system parts, the tstat was stuck open. I also did the fan swap (mech/aux to electric) at the same time. I was intimidated by this job but it was way easier that I expected. Probably a total of 6 hours labor, and I was going slow and cautious. also took off bumper and headlights as I had a xenon bulb out (turned out to be a broken wire inside the headlight assembly) If you have not done this yet, do it. Ordered all parts from FCP Euro, with lifetime guarantee!
Mbryant616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #3474
DEADF15H

My Ride: 2001 325i Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbryant616 View Post
Hey All, I am excited to report that this weekend I completed a full cooling system refresh (water pump, tstat, hoses, belts, exp. tank and radiator). I have never done any garage/mechanic work before,, but after studying this forum and several great videos on the subject, it was really a piece of cake. My 04 vert (109k mi) had what appeared to be all original cooling system parts, the tstat was stuck open. I also did the fan swap (mech/aux to electric) at the same time. I was intimidated by this job but it was way easier that I expected. Probably a total of 6 hours labor, and I was going slow and cautious. also took off bumper and headlights as I had a xenon bulb out (turned out to be a broken wire inside the headlight assembly) If you have not done this yet, do it. Ordered all parts from FCP Euro, with lifetime guarantee!
Congratulations. Now very few repairs on this car should intimidate you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #3475
Mango
e46mango.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbryant616 View Post
Hey All, I am excited to report that this weekend I completed a full cooling system refresh (water pump, tstat, hoses, belts, exp. tank and radiator).
Great job. Glad you found inspiration
Old 05-19-2017, 01:10 PM   #3476
craigk401

My Ride: 2000 bmw 328i
i suspect my coolant gauge is not working properly.
It seems to go only to exactly the half way mark at normal operating running.
i unplug the sensor at lower radiator hose gauge and no change in gauge responses.
I have a code reader that checks all the gauges and the gauge does go all the way to the red hot section during test, but am am not sure if i am getting proper running temperture during everyday driving

any hints or referances would be great
craigk401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #3477
Fox Fader

My Ride: '05 325i
That sensor is used to measure the water temp coming out of the radiator to tell the e-fan when to come on.

The one that signals that actual coolant temp is on the head in the back under the intake if I recall correctly on the location.

I bet your gauge is ok.

10 Ford GT 401a 5sp 17k miles
17 High-Ball Matte Nuclear Sunset Orange
11 KLR 650
07 Tuono Factory
03 F150 STX Lightning replica
11 Kia Sorento SX (wife's)

Slammin Tunes

Last edited by Fox Fader; 05-19-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Fox Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:41 PM   #3478
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Fader View Post
That sensor is used to measure the water temp coming out of the radiator to tell the e-fan when to come on.

The one that signals that actual coolant temp is on the head in the back under the intake if I recall correctly on the location.

I bet your gauge is ok.
Between cylinders 1 and 2.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:41 AM   #3479
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46x3,e90,e83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
Between cylinders 1 and 2.
Actually it's at cylinder #6. ( item #3).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3038.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	655479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3036.GIF
Views:	12
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	655480  
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #3480
craigk401

My Ride: 2000 bmw 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Fader View Post

I bet your gauge is ok.
Thanks yes i think second senor gauge is at cylider # 6 under intake i got a laser temp scaner check water in holden canister at running temp it was about 200. Degree i now think my gauge is ok

Sent from my SM-S920L using E46Fanatics mobile app
craigk401 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleeding, coolant, cooling system, diy cooling, expansion tank, lower hose sensor, overheat, radiator, radiator hose, temp sensor, temperature sensor, thermostat, water pump