E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 02:28 AM   #1
jacob92

My Ride: BMW 330CI Cabrio SMG
330ci SMG won't shift in all gears

Hi all

I am a owner of a BMW 330Ci SMG/SSG Convertible, year 2003

After i got some problem with my previous gearbox i decided to change the transmission/gearbox

I bought a transmission that has 75.000 miles on it with pre-installed Shift Actuator, gear postion sensors and a brand new clutch position sensor (the black sensor on the slave cylinder)

After carefully replacement, i used INPA Software to bleed the clutch actuator/Slave Cylinder. All seems to be good.

After that i was calibrating the gear. In this process it is bleeding clutch actuator/slave Cylinder again and then shifting through all gears (sounds right) and after that, i have to start the engine and then it aborted the program?

Anyways..

When starting the car, it gives me a beep signal (like when you turn off the engine), but still looks fine and shows me N. So far so good

Then when i shift to 1 st., it won't drive, it is like N, but i can shift through 2 and 3 gear and drive but 4, 5 and 6 gear is not working (and gives me the CoG light at the dashboard)
Reverse gear is also working good.

So the gear: 1, 4, 5, 6 gear is not working and R, 2, 3 is working

Btw, i cannot go over 4.000 RPM at all when driving?

What cause the problem?

Could it be:
- air in the hydraulic system since i got the hydraulic moved from the old to the new gearbox?
- software/firmware for the new gearbox?

The pump is priming fine and the pressure is about 45 to 49 bar

Please i really hope you can help me!

Thanks

BMW E46 330CI Convertible SMG 2003
Lexus IS300 2002 - SOLD
BMW E36 316i 1994 - SOLD
Seat Ebiza 1.3 EFI 1994 - SOLD
Opel Kadett E 1984 - SOLD
jacob92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:29 PM   #2
jacob92

UPDATE:
I found out the CoG light.

It turns on when taking around 4.000 RPM, then the light came on and i can't drive more than 85 km/h. then I checked the failure with INPA software.

It gave me following:
51B1 Wheel speed rear axle

Error counter: 1
Logistic counter: 43

Mileage: 186.136 km
Battery Voltage: 13.49 Volt
Actual gear: 1 st gear 0-n
Nomial gear: 1 st gear 0-n
Rel. Clutch position: 0.00 0/oo
Engine speed: 4369.00 rpm

No signal or value
Test conditions fulfilled
Error present now and already stored
Error would cause a warning lamp to light up

Error code: 41 B1 E4 01 2B 5A E3 78 11 00 11 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

I did also tried manual bleed the clutch now, and the result is the same.

Only got R, 2, 3 gear

1, 4, 5, 6 gear is "missing"

It can show the 1 st. gear but not running, and 5, 6 gear is not showing or shifting into?

Some please help me.

I really want to get my car out running this summer, and I have spend money on a complete gearbox and new clutch position sensor for around 1300 USD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-05-18_2231.png
Views:	6
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	655294  

Lexus IS300 2002 - SOLD
BMW E36 316i 1994 - SOLD

Last edited by jacob92; 05-19-2017 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Now with picture
Old 05-18-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
speavler

My Ride: 2004 330i sport smg
this is way over my paygrade, but i recently dealt with issues on my smg myself by replacing the pump as well as battery and alternator. also had gear position sensors replaced a year earlier by my indy. I did not use INPA to bleed the system - just topped off the reservoir and primed the pump about a dozen times. In my little experience with INPA in resetting adaptations, I did have to unplug the battery afterwards to get the engine to run smoothly. Don't know what that was about.

Isn't there a separate process to re-learn the clutch friction zone?

Are you sure the gear position sensors are functioning?

I would also check the hydraulic system for leaks. the clutch actuator is known to leak and i believe there's a rebuild kit for it.
speavler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:43 AM   #4
jacob92

Quote:
Originally Posted by speavler View Post
this is way over my paygrade, but i recently dealt with issues on my smg myself by replacing the pump as well as battery and alternator. also had gear position sensors replaced a year earlier by my indy. I did not use INPA to bleed the system - just topped off the reservoir and primed the pump about a dozen times. In my little experience with INPA in resetting adaptations, I did have to unplug the battery afterwards to get the engine to run smoothly. Don't know what that was about.

Isn't there a separate process to re-learn the clutch friction zone?

Are you sure the gear position sensors are functioning?

I would also check the hydraulic system for leaks. the clutch actuator is known to leak and i believe there's a rebuild kit for it.
Hi speavler

Thanks for your comment and knowledge

I have already tried disconnect the battery, and hold + / - together (car cable side) and i didn't do any diffrence

When doing the complete bleed process with INPA software, it will:
1. Bleed the Slave Cylinder / Actuator - Done
2. Calibrating all the gears (shiftning through all the gears also) - Done
3. Start the engine for learning the clutch biting point - Failing or stuck in process?

I did also check it for leak and as a precaution i did also send the slave cylinder / Actuator to my local store to get it checked/fixed

Could it be the "new" used gearbox that have some issues with the gears?

I can see with the INPA Software it also give me some values when shiftning gears, so i think the sensors should be okay on the new gearbox i mounted?

Hope you can help me figure out!

Lexus IS300 2002 - SOLD
BMW E36 316i 1994 - SOLD

Tags
gear shift, gearbox failure, shift issue, smg, ssg