E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-17-2017, 02:03 AM   #241
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
E60 alternator is on the way. Delivery eta tomorrow.

Was browsing one the internet for ACS because of a comment Geo made and got sucked into a rabbit hole because I kept finding pics of my old car: acs reps, real carbon fiber engine cover, etc. lol. I forgot how much one off stuff was on that thing. Fond memories.
One thing no one else ever did, ever...

DIY: E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting
DIY: Wiring City Lights, Rear Fogs, and Rear Camera in a Touring

Last edited by Onizukachan; 05-17-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Onizukachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:26 AM   #242
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
E60 alternator is on the way. Delivery eta tomorrow.

Was browsing one the internet for ACS because of a comment Geo made and got sucked into a rabbit hole because I kept finding pics of my old car: acs reps, real carbon fiber engine cover, etc. lol. I forgot how much one off stuff was on that thing. Fond memories.
One thing no one else ever did, ever...

Funny, I was thinking of your old car last night. I wondered why you sold it. In fact, I wonder why a lot of people sell a car they've put their soul into. More than a passing curiosity because I'm about to put some real money and time into my car and my plan is to keep it as long as I can. But I'm sure a lot of other people start out with the same plans, so I wonder why they sell.

Your old car is a beauty.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #243
Onizukachan

Why sell? my then spouse was beginning to resent the attention and money spent on it.

It was at that point after most everything is done, and now you start getting occasional repairs, but mostly big cost cosmetic repairs. Headliner. Trims. Roof re spray. R-12 refill or conversionto r134a To keep it at the same high level... but the car goes down in value with every repair because less and less original. And fuel economy was beginning to be important to me. Getting 18-22 mpg just wasn't cutting it anymore.
I decided to make the sacrifice, as it turns out the issues with my then wifi and I were broader and deeper, so meh.

The girl who drove out here to buy it got tboned running a stop sign in San Fran 3-4 months later, and I wonder if anyone ever got any good parts off it. The car they told me was good they gave as partial trade turned out not to be, so karma.

Back on topic: alternator arrived from a salvage yard in cali. That was pretty quick, I ordered it Monday am, and here it is already. I probably won't mess with it till Friday, since that is my next day off.

Last edited by Onizukachan; 05-17-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:30 AM   #244
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Hey, I really appreciate that. I'm about to head down that road myself now.

I'm stockpiling maintenance parts (although haven't for a few months). This weekend the coilovers and BAVSOUND, and back-up camera are scheduled to go in (as well as a minor DIY repair to my N6). I've got the M Rain fabric in the queue. Need to do the headliner. And God help me, somewhere down the road my little monkey brain is keeping a 3.0 swap in my head (hopefully WELL down the road at the moment). Sounds like I'll be in a similar car situation you were in at the time, except my wife I think is fine with it all as I don't have car payments and plan to keep this car for a LONG time (which I'm known to do).

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #245
Onizukachan

No problem!

Old 05-18-2017, 11:02 PM   #246
Onizukachan

Well, I'm at a bit of a standstill, I need to go get more tools.
E60s have an idler pulley directly attached to the alternator with a t45 that I need to remove... and my biggest torx is a t40, lol.
(M56 apparently share a 155amp alternator with the 04-05 e60/61 530, instead of the more common 90/120amp m54 e46)

I also need to snag a 32mm end wrench so I can pull the fan and shroud.

If I can get everything disassembled tonight, I can reassemble in the am when the sun is up and visibility is better.

Good news, the side of the block is dry.
Bad news, the power steering hoses are icky, at least one of them is seeping.

Something for another day, and another paycheck, lol.

Last edited by Onizukachan; 05-18-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:51 AM   #247
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
After borrowing the big end wrench from work a couple of times and struggling to keep the pulley from turning I bought a clutch fan tool that includes both the pulley stopper and a stamped steel "wrench" for the fan. Works a champ, and seeing as how there's nothing else that I'll need an actual 32mm end wrench for the $20 that I spent on Amazon is far more reasonable than forged end wrench prices.
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:39 AM   #248
Onizukachan

Well, the $100 alternator replacement turned into a $500 job when I discovered someone had mostly stripped out the threads on hydraulic tensioner' aluminum pitman arm where the pulley bolts in. Probably the last ones to touch it, aka that damn transmission shop.
So no bsw for me.

Having the car in pieces, a job to go to, and having spent this last (and final) week of fiancées maternity leave borrowing her car all week, i had to bite the bullet and go get parts from the dealership because they had them in stock and I had no more time. Ugh on the pricing though. Could have done much better with alternate branded parts.
But a complete new hydraulic tensioner assembly and new idler pulley are going in in the am, as well as a new belt for the used 04 530 alternator. Hopefully I won't have to touch it again for a long long time.

On the positive the block is dry. My "oil" is just seeping from a power steering line where it connects to the reservoir.

It's a good solid car, but there is always some repair to budget for when you drive a 13 year old BMW!

Old 05-20-2017, 10:29 AM   #249
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
I can relate.

I came home from work intending to start on replacing my CSB, get as far as I could and then finish this morning before it got too hot. Nope.

Can't get the nuts off the header flange. The one winter that my car spent in New England (was otherwise an AZ car) corroded the isht out of those four fasteners.

Going to have to put it back together so that I can take it to a muffler shop and have that fixed before I can even start on the CSB.
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #250
Onizukachan

Feel your pain!

Old 05-20-2017, 10:26 PM   #251
Onizukachan

Well, got the tensioner and alternator installed, engine bay semi cleaned up.
Wonder if this is just an m56 thing, but does anyone else have a white engine bay on a non white car?
It isn't accident or color change, it's factory that way.

I also finally got the garage cleaned up and organized, and now both bimmers can fit.

Finally completely moved in. Still need to organize my tool box though.

(And yes, that *is* an Initial D fabric scroll in the corner of the garage!)

Old 05-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #252
EthirD

My Ride: '02 325iT, '07 X5
Dang, I wish I would have seen this sooner. There's an M56 coupe and an M54 E60 in my local yard as we speak - probably could've grabbed the tensioner and alt for you for a song. Glad you were able to get everything back together, though.

I have been under the hood of a whole buncha E46s and never seen a contrasting engine bay - I wonder if you got a little factory error on yours? I remember hearing lots of funny stories along those lines, like Ford Rangers arriving at the dealership brand new with one Ford bedside and one Mazda bedside (the Ranger and B-series were built on the same line). Would be kinda cool to have a factory two-tone engine bay, and I wouldn't hate having a white 'bay for finding leaks and stains and the like.

BMW CCA Member #480924
EthirD is online now   Reply With Quote