E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #81
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
While I agree with much of what Alex wrote, there is a point he made that is NOT technically correct. Rob can charge Fanatics. What he cannot do is advertise (per the Terms of Use). That certainly does not prevent others from talking about what he offers.

I see both sides of this. I don't buy the concept of not making money from Fanatics. There have been a number of businesses that started right here. Some survived and some didn't. What Rob offers is information based upon his experience and research. Once again, he probably saves folks here more money than he charges. I'm not taking sides, but trying to keep things in perspective. Now more than ever we seem, as a society, to not value intellectual property so well. It's also why I said that what Rob has put together can be done by anyone. They just need to do their research.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Old 05-19-2017, 10:04 AM   #82
GhostFlame

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeetastic View Post
i guess someone really got pissed yesterday and created a dummy account and posted rob's secret 9 way rear shocks lol..
Orly, where?

And I'm pretty sure everyone interested already figured out they are these:
https://www.calvertracing.com/cr-9-w...ar-shocks.html

The remaining mystery is which model american car has matching fitment to our E46
Old 05-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #83
mikeetastic

My Ride: lots of 3
^^ mods deleted all of them from multiple threads posted and user got banned. i'm sure if you are subbed to any of those threads including this one e46fanatics.com will email you with that post.

and no that link is not the super secret rear shocks.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:25 AM   #84
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
^^ mods deleted all of them from multiple threads posted and user got banned. i'm sure if you are subbed to any of those threads including this one e46fanatics.com will email you with that post.

and no that link is not the super secret rear shocks.
But anyone who cares should feel free to put them on a shock dyno and let us know how they make out.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #85
KCPBMW

My Ride: 325Xi W/Rob43 Susp.
The fake poster from yesterday must have posted up fake information, my build is very recent and i dont have that shock on the back of my car. I remember being told about two different rear shock failures, hopefully my shock keeps working because they're to expensive to keep buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
While I agree with much of what Alex wrote, there is a point he made that is NOT technically correct. Rob can charge Fanatics. What he cannot do is advertise (per the Terms of Use). That certainly does not prevent others from talking about what he offers.

I see both sides of this. I don't buy the concept of not making money from Fanatics. There have been a number of businesses that started right here. Some survived and some didn't. What Rob offers is information based upon his experience and research. Once again, he probably saves folks here more money than he charges. I'm not taking sides, but trying to keep things in perspective. Now more than ever we seem, as a society, to not value intellectual property so well. It's also why I said that what Rob has put together can be done by anyone. They just need to do their research.
Totally agree, guys are selling services right now in the for sale section of the suspension forum, i see no difference between any of these different services.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...825&highlight=
Old 05-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #86
mikeetastic

My Ride: lots of 3
^^ not according to the person who posted after you and has it running.. post is still there btw and can be accessed via google cache
Old 05-19-2017, 11:16 AM   #87
KCPBMW

Quote:
^^ not according to the person who posted after you and has it running.. post is still there btw and can be accessed via google cache
That doesn't matter to me, i've got the newest version. The whole reason i went with his service was so i didn't have to guess at anything, the moment you guess wrong it costs big
money. I like doing things once, not twice when spending this amount of money.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:24 AM   #88
evanr614

My Ride: used 2 have 2 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCPBMW View Post

Totally agree, guys are selling services right now in the for sale section of the suspension forum, i see no difference between any of these different services.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...825&highlight=

I've never heard of this consulting fee you guys are speaking of anyways. I bought Rob a large pizza from Domino's once as a favor for his help. Either way I don't see it as anything different from me renting out every specialty BMW tool I own...Probably could have bought each tool three times by now but I'm not taking advantage of anyone...

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Atlantis Blue 328Ci Project Thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...523&highlight=
Old 05-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #89
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
The OP that started those posts yesterday posted up shocks that failed. He tried to screw Rob and spread poor information.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,Custom Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob
Old 05-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #90
GhostFlame

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanr614 View Post
I've never heard of this consulting fee you guys are speaking of anyways. I bought Rob a large pizza from Domino's once as a favor for his help. Either way I don't see it as anything different from me renting out every specialty BMW tool I own...Probably could have bought each tool three times by now but I'm not taking advantage of anyone...

He directly posted it on his profile page:

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/member.php?u=152181
Old 05-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #91
EthirD

My Ride: '02 325iT, '07 X5
Took me a couple hours of web searching to find (what I am supremely confident are) the mystery shocks while waiting for a delayed flight. Of course, I'd never go to the lengths of buying them and strapping them on a shock dyno when I can buy a guy a pizza in exchange for confirmed info.

At the end of the day, the guy has contributed a lot to the body of free information available on this site, and I have zero problems with him getting a gift card in exchange for some special info he spent lots of his personal time figuring out. You have the option of doing the same research he did, and not paying. Or, you could buy any of the commercially available systems that are marketed for your car. But, at the end of the day, if you want the cheaper suspension he thought up you might as well give the guy a few bucks unless hours of your time are worth less than a pizza.

BMW CCA Member #480924
Old 05-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #92
GhostFlame

^ I don't think anyone really has any issue with throwing the guy a few bucks or a pizza.

For the n'teenth time, it is his unavailability which make this a bad situation.
Everyone is entitled to their personal time, and I don't need an explanation where he is, or what he is doing.

That said, if he is not dedicated to addressing the constant flow of inquiries regarding said suspension setup, the individuals that have already consulted by him should be free to share their information.

Last edited by GhostFlame; 05-19-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #93
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlame View Post
He directly posted it on his profile page:

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/member.php?u=152181
interesting, notice that both Tim and Jake both visited the page and it's now been removed. Let's see if he is going to be BANNED or just Suspended.

if members like TerraPhantm who answers and gives out info on cracking the ECU coding don't ask for money, why should anyone else?! you don't see jfoj post to the hundreds of people he trys to help on their fault codes ask for money up front. heck i've been in threads on suspension where we have shared info on Koni Sports, lowering springs hats and the Rancho rear shocks..guess i need to ask for my cut too? that's total BS, we come here to help, learn and share..NOT TO MAKE MONEY off of our fellow fanatics.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #94
EthirD

My Ride: '02 325iT, '07 X5
i will get you a pizza too

BMW CCA Member #480924
Old 05-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #95
KCPBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
interesting, notice that both Tim and Jake both visited the page and it's now been removed. Let's see if he is going to be BANNED or just Suspended.

if members like TerraPhantm who answers and gives out info on cracking the ECU coding don't ask for money, why should anyone else?! you don't see jfoj post to the hundreds of people he trys to help on their fault codes ask for money up front. heck i've been in threads on suspension where we have shared info on Koni Sports, lowering springs hats and the Rancho rear shocks..guess i need to ask for my cut too? that's total BS, we come here to help, learn and share..NOT TO MAKE MONEY off of our fellow fanatics.
guys like you enjoy stirring the pot. i got a private phone consult that lasted over an hour during his personal time. Now after many questions i'm at 2+ hours of his personal time. So lets get something straight right now, there's a night and day difference between open forum talk and personal time given.

Post up your phone so we can call you this weekend, i have many questions about my bmw that will keep up busy for hours.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #96
evanr614

My Ride: used 2 have 2 pedals
Quote:
guys like you enjoy stirring the pot. i got a private phone consult that lasted over an hour during his personal time. Now after many questions i'm at 2+ hours of his personal time. So lets get something straight right now, there's a night and day difference between open forum talk and personal time given.

Post up your phone so we can call you this weekend, i have many questions about my bmw that will keep up busy for hours.

agreed...this is personal attention, and he is tailoring to very specific needs on a case by case basis. Rob and I have tested out 2-3 different setups/variations of parts that has included probably 4 hours (maybe even more) of phone calls over the past couple years give or take

Atlantis Blue 328Ci Project Thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...523&highlight=
Old 05-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #97
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
my time on the forum is personal time. it's not my job, when i get paid for it, it's then not personal time really, you can't figure out the difference between the two.
if i ask someone to PM or CALL me it's the same, one is just quicker and easier by phone. it's still on my time setting it up, be it by keyboard or voice. if i don't answer it's because it's not convient for me.

again, tell me the difference between TerraPhantm, jfoj, SolidJake, Delmarco, SyncE46, Mango, LaughenGas, etc or a dozen other of us who answer and provide answers and information learned BY US to questions saving people hundred to thousands of dollars?

and if you think it's taking up so much of his personal time why doesn't he just post the info or write a tutorial like the rest of us/ why, BECAUSE MONEY can't be made then.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 05-19-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #98
KCPBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
my time on the forum is personal time. it's not my job, when i get paid for it, it's then not personal time really, you can't figure out the difference between the two.
if i ask someone to PM or CALL me it's the same, one is just quicker and easier by phone. it's still on my time setting it up, be it by keyboard or voice. if i don't answer it's because it's not convient for me.

again, tell me the difference between TerraPhantm, jfoj or a dozen other of us who answer and provide answers and information learned BY US to questions saving people hundred to thousands of dollars?

and if you think it's taking up so much of his personal time why doesn't he just post the info or write a tutorial like the rest of us/ why, BECAUSE MONEY can't be made then.
hey you don't get it and that's ok. Based on my experience, i would do it again.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:57 AM   #99
Onizukachan

My Ride: `04 M56 Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlame View Post
I guess YouTube is private as well, by your definition.

http://bfy.tw/Bt2m

100% agree with you.
Yes, YouTube is a private forum.

It's not a street corner.

Why do kids think just because it can be seen it isn't private property?
Do they not teach the constitution in school anymore?
Or the difference between public domain and not public domain?

Delmarco can't keep hos tutorials up, he moved on.
Solid is still here. Jfoj is semi active.
Terra is a whiz for someone in their very early 20s, but he doesn't answer every Tim dick and Harry, either.
I am a repository of hard earned E34 knowledge, I share most of it freely, but I require due diligence on the part of the reader. Ditto with my e46/3 and m56 stuff. If you want to learn what I have learned, read my thread. Read the diy. Read the same stuff I learned from. Go out and do.
Or for gods sake learn to Boolean search Google.

In any case OP has been such a pile of sour grapes becasue rob hasn't been around, I'm not willing to apply my talents to assist, for free or for pay.
People have lives. People have jobs. Families. Other IRL relationships.
They aren't here to be "on demand" when every tom dick and harry wants something.
Being a member doesn't give you an entitlement.

DIY: E46 Touring TV Tuner Install/Mounting
DIY: Wiring City Lights, Rear Fogs, and Rear Camera in a Touring

Last edited by Onizukachan; 05-20-2017 at 03:07 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #100
Geo31
Ironman

Well said

Closed Thread