E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
_330eye

My Ride: 2001 ZSP 330i
OEM Style 37's on a 2001 330i? - Stancing on a Budget (camber-haters beware)

I've searched all I can, but i'm left with a few questions on the legendary M Parallels:

From what i've gathered, forged e38 (Style 37) wheels do exist, and are:
18 x 9.5, et25 in rear
18 x 8, et13 up front

I'm a college student on a real budget.. So i'm looking for 4 original rear OEM style 37 in my area (somewhat abundant in SD), in order to improve my fitment and upgrade to 18in wheels. I'd like to square original 18 x 9.5's, as I unfortunately can't afford the new mpar aftermarket options that are available.

Right now my '01 330i is lowered about 1in(front) 1.5in(rear) on ST Coilovers, sitting on old style 68's.
My current wheel gap is huge, and instead of messing around with gnarly spacers, everything I have read leads me to believe that a set of 4 rear MPar 18 x 9.5's (et25) will sit to my definition of flush, as long as I adapt for camber, stretched tires, and rolled fenders.

An old thread shows the exact stance i'm looking for...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsv View Post

lamsv, can you shine any light on fitting your rears; were your squared 18 x 9.5's all et25 before 10mm rear spacers?
(http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15495519)

I'm also left wondering:

1. Does anyone else have experience fitting original e38 style 37's on a non-m e46? and,
2. Were there OEM e38 Mpars that were actually forged?
3. What size tire can I expect to run to clear my fenders?

(In advance, I know the effects of camber/stretch... it's not everyone's cup of tea ) plus i'm new so take it easy on me!

2001 330i ZSP | MTech 1 | ST Coilovers | Stance On!
\\\ Staggered e38 M Parallels ///
ET13 18J8 205/40, ET25 18J9.5 215/40

Last edited by _330eye; 08-16-2013 at 04:06 PM.
_330eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 300K miles
You are so lucky I'm the first one here, buddy.

First, if you're a college student on a budget, I think you should probably buy some tires first. When I was a poor college student, I drove on just wheels for months, and sure enough, it f'd them up pretty bad and the handling suffered some too.

Second, if you're on a 'real' budget, you're not really thinking. You don't 'need' stance...you 'need' so many things, or will need so many things that you'll need money for, the 'look' is the last thing you should be spending money on. If you want to ever have sex with a woman, man, or dog, let me tell you, two of them won't care about your stance, they'll want your car to move.

Third, I'll try to protect you best I can, but I'm also going to allow my buddies here to lay into you to knock some sense into you in a way I'm too polite to do.

This is me being easy. You're welcome.

Okay, guys, please, welcome him to fanatics--I know you have it in you!

Please view this vid so it looks like I'm popular. Please! https://youtu.be/995gLmVEVZk

dmax on Facebook

Mangofy your E46!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
orb
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci
running on original cooling system and blown suspension
Old 08-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDubois View Post
this.
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
VishTheFish

My Ride: Ex M54B30 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post

'look' is the last thing you should be spending money on. If you want to ever have sex with a woman, man, or dog, let me tell you, two of them won't care about your stance, they'll want your car to move.
OP cut the crap and make sure your car is in top working order first. Otherwise it will just be for sale in a year-with a ton of aesthetic mods running and a blown head gasket because you didn't maintain the bare essentials of your car.

If you really are on a budget I question your need for an old BMW that WILL require money to maintain it.

No matter how good your car looks, you will ALWAYS look like an idiot when you are stranded on the side of the road.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
VishTheFish

My Ride: Ex M54B30 ZHP
WTH is that little black thing sticking out of the corner of the left turn signal headlight
Old 08-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
tks

My Ride: slower than yours
OEM Style 37's on a 2001 330i? - Stancing on a Budget (camber-haters beware)

guy asks for wheel help

gets responses for fix your car first

these forums are full of loonies

WTB:: Natural Brown Sedan Full Interior
tks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
farmdog

My Ride: Food Truck
How does it handle without tires?
Old 08-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
_330eye

Thanks for the help dmax!

...I know a lot of people on here love their e46's bone stock... but for those who are mod and fitment-friendly, please:

I'd like some advice on the questions I have posted.

..not just to be bashed for my opinion on fitment itself.. I respect that preventative maintenance is a 1st for many, and I have spent a lot of time and money doing such.. for instance, replacing my suspension and cooling system.. among a hundred other things

dmax, I won't criticize your OEM-loving 'dogs and men', if you don't criticize me for modding aside from your liking. I'd appreciate any help I can get please.! I've been searching the forum for a year now, though this is one of my first posts.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by _330eye View Post
Thanks for the help dmax!

...I know a lot of people on here love their e46's bone stock... but for those who are mod and fitment-friendly, please:

I'd like some advice on the questions I have posted.

..not just to be bashed for my opinion on fitment itself.. I respect that preventative maintenance is a 1st for many, and I have spent a lot of time and money doing such.. for instance, replacing my suspension and cooling system.. among a hundred other things

dmax, I won't criticize your OEM-loving 'dogs and men', if you don't criticize me for modding aside from your liking. I'd appreciate any help I can get please.! I've been searching the forum for a year now, though this is one of my first posts.
It's not that people are adamant about being stock (Hell, almost none of us are), it's that you're likely in need of maintenance yet you are inquiring about something that's potentially dangerous/life-threatening and a downright downgrade. In other words, this may not be the appropriate forum to ask.

Try wheel and tire--where this thread will be moved to shortly.
Mango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
beasted86

My Ride: '02 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDubois View Post
This has entertainment value
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
BobbyC

My Ride: 2000 328I
They look great....as a matter of fact, don't even worry about fitment, you'll figure it out. I would like to help you out. You will need tires, right??? I will help you by asking how much you want for those 68's??? Money towards tires.
BobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #13
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by _330eye View Post
2. Were there OEM e38 Mpars that were actually forged?
Yes but they're not called MPars and they are quite a bit different in style. They're also made by a different company than regular BMW wheels but I forgot who. For a n00b who's not too familiar with them, they wouldn't notice unless they were side-by-side but they are different. The spokes are thinner and they taper a lot more as they reach towards the rim.

On another note - if the pics you posted is your idea of lots of camber - I don;t think anyone here is gonna flame you.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
328ci906

My Ride: 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
This has entertainment value
My thoughts exactly...
Old 08-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
I can't believe how much trouble I'm having finding those wheels. I just came across a set the other day on eBay or CL.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #16
jiggz

My Ride: E90 M3|E70 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpersav View Post
WTH is that little black thing sticking out of the corner of the left turn signal headlight
It's an aftermarket corner...pretty much expected. Chinese made vs. German.
jiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #17
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
OP, just focus on your project; lots of dream killers here with nothing better to do than break b@lls.
Love your idea. Im not really into the stretched tire look, but I do like it if done right.
Your going on the right path by researching; only problem is that you will find only a few people here on E46 who will actually help you rather than put you down.
My advice... ignore! I especially ignore the fruit guy.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #18
e46first

My Ride: 2000 323i
poor guy.lol i agree that some people on forums can be dicks especially the 240sx forum.haha but for real bro i love stance more than anyone but what is the point if it doesnt run right? im in college too and trying to fix all the issues i can before i make a single modifacation
e46first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:34 AM   #19
PH03NIX46

My Ride: 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpersav View Post
I'd guess it's electrical tape for whatever reason, holding the corner in place.

OP, stance it if you want. Just realize that you will be safer/feel better about your car if you get around to the maintenance things first. They're really not all that bad...at least do the bare essentials if you're that short on cash.

Eibach | Sportline | OEM Euro Headers | TTFS
PH03NIX46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #20
_330eye

"the fruit guy", lol.

Should've posted in wheel/tire but thanks for the support. I'll do more research and post pics when I finally find the right set up.

From what i've found, OEM e38 mpar's were mostly cast, but forged do exist. Most forged 37's came from e39 M5's with a larger center bore. The 9.5 e38 part # is 36 11 2 227 633, but distinguishing forged vs. cast is all in the stamp placement.

Tags
e38, m parallel, mpars, stance, style 37