E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
the_carp

My Ride: 2001 325CI Coupe
Question Confirmation - 325 to 330 Engine swap

Hi All,

I currently have a 2001 325CI with a dead engine, I am going to replace the engine with a 330 Saloon - Vert

I already have the donor car (330 Vert ) and the job is being started on Tuesday,

I have done lots of research and i cant forsee any major problems, My question is...

Does anyone know of any issues that i should make the guys aware of to make the job a little easier?

It seem to me lots of people have spoke about doing the swap, Or started a thread on doing it, then nothing.

Im just a little nervous to say the least

Thanks in advance

Last edited by the_carp; 08-23-2013 at 04:55 AM. Reason: car age added
the_carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3 & ZHP
Just swap everything over and get your DME reprogrammed (I can do that for you if you'd like). Shouldn't be any more difficult than swapping another 325 engine.

For year to year differences..
If it comes out of an xi you'll need to swap oil pans, and there are some minor differences based on year. 2003+ engines use different coils; swap the valve covers and use your stock coils. 2003+ engines use 4-rib pulleys with the AC belt -- just use a 4 rib belt; works fine. 2003.5+ mon-XI motors are MS45 and have the IAT sensor integrated in the MAF; get a 330 3-pin MAF and swap the IAT sensor from your original engine

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 08-22-2013 at 11:16 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
xps

My Ride: 05 325ci w/ zhp eng
Whats 51 325?

Best is to swap the engines that uses same DME. Programming DME is easy task ( provided you are willing to spend time to learn how it works) and if Terra is up to help you you should be fine!

know the parts that you may want to "change while you are there". GL

Last edited by xps; 08-22-2013 at 12:32 PM.
xps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
David McMahon

My Ride: '99 E38 740iL
Quote:
Originally Posted by xps View Post
Whats 51 325?

Best is to swap the engines that uses same DME. Programming DME is easy task ( provided you are willing to spend time to learn how it works) and if Terra is up to help you you should be fine!

UK number plate "51 2001 Second Half" from http://www.nationalnumbers.co.uk/dvl...-issue-149.htm
David McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 AM   #5
the_carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Just swap everything over and get your DME reprogrammed (I can do that for you if you'd like). Shouldn't be any more difficult than swapping another 325 engine.

For year to year differences..
If it comes out of an xi you'll need to swap oil pans, and there are some minor differences based on year. 2003+ engines use different coils; swap the valve covers and use your stock coils. 2003+ engines use 4-rib pulleys with the AC belt -- just use a 4 rib belt; works fine. 2003.5+ mon-XI motors are MS45 and have the IAT sensor integrated in the MAF; get a 330 3-pin MAF and swap the IAT sensor from your original engine
Thanks mate, Lets hope its as easy as that Its a 2001 model so shouldnt need to worry about the above, apart from the oil pan...?

I wish you could reprogram my DME but i think your to far away

I have a M3 Quad exhaust on the car do you know if i will need to use the 330 Headers?

Thanks for your help mate
Old 08-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
the_carp

Quote:
Whats 51 325?

How do i know if thy both use the same DME? What do you advise to change while the are doing the swap?

Thanks
Old 08-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
xps

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_carp View Post
How do i know if thy both use the same DME? What do you advise to change while the are doing the swap?

Thanks

Mainly i would say change the rear main-seal, valve cover gasket, oil filter housing gasket, CCV, also change shifter linkage parts, clutch(and all other related parts) & flywheel if yours is manual and they are due to be changed. clean the throttle body & IDV fully, clean all the electric connector(some recommend not to un-clip the connectors as they tend not hold back tightly when you put back,# just mentioning before some fruit asks me not give advice on a public forum), check disa flap. That's all I think you may require. and clean the engine before you put it in if you care about how it looked under the hood.

if the engine is from a car that's before 03/2003 it should have same DME as yours. I can tell you step by step how I used winkfp to Program the DME when I did the swap. but If you can find an indy shop its a 1/2 hr job. GL
Old 08-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
the_carp

Thanks XPS,

Did your car run with without having the DME reflashed?

Thanks again
Old 08-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
xps

Re: Confirmation - 325 to 330 Engine swap

I started the car before the dme had the correct software, it started right away and idle was ok for 1st few secs, then the throttle body got mad and started making banging noise and cat was red hot.. I guess may be if I left the car idle the dme would have adapted. but I was worried about the throttle body and the cats so went ahead with a software flash.

After the flash the car worked perfect

Sent from my HTC One using BimmerApp mobile app

Old 08-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
the_carp

Quote:
I started the car before the dme had the correct software, it started right away and idle was ok for 1st few secs, then the throttle body got mad and started making banging noise and cat was red hot.. I guess may be if I left the car idle the dme would have adapted. but I was worried about the throttle body and the cats so went ahead with a software flash.

Okay, i was just wondering if it was safe to drive to get the remap/flash done.

Did you notice a big power increase? did you use 330 headers?

cheers
Old 08-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
xps

Quote:
Okay, i was just wondering if it was safe to drive to get the remap/flash done.

Did you notice a big power increase? did you use 330 headers?

cheers
I am not sure if it will be drive-able without a flash, regarding power increase its a lot of difference tht just outright you will feel the extra power and you will love it. what diff ratio do you have? 3.15?

I used my old 325 headers as the whole exhaust system is same on both the cars except for the end muffler difference in 330/zhp model. Even with the old headers and exhaust I feel the exhaust note on my current zhp engine is more throatier.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:28 AM   #12
the_carp

Confirmation - 325 to 330 Engine swap

Quote:

Hi xps, that's the engine all in but as you said it's doesn't run great! I can't seem to find anyone to flash my Ecu, everyone just says its only bmw that can do this, any ideas?

Cheers

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-03-2013, 04:31 AM   #13
HakenTT

My Ride: 323i with S54
Quote:
Hi xps, that's the engine all in but as you said it's doesn't run great! I can't seem to find anyone to flash my Ecu, everyone just says its only bmw that can do this, any ideas?

Cheers

you don't have to do any flashing. Your 2.5L ecu will work on 3.0L
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #14
the_carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
you don't have to do any flashing. Your 2.5L ecu will work on 3.0L
Lol thanks hakenTT but now I'm really confused, it does run with my 325 Ecu but isn't great, surely I need the software to benifit from the extra power etc

Thanks

Old 09-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #15
xps

Quote:

Cheers

It will be hard to explain it to a bmw dealership, they would say they want to install the software according to VIN and $h!t , but you may talk to them and insist you know the software no. and it can be done.

or

Get ready and do the install by yourself,

1st you need the CABLE ,a battery charger that can supply steady voltage >13.5, a laptop running XP(or using virtualbox setup XP on your newer version windows)

Old 09-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
Guest021715
Account closed.

Quote:
Lol thanks hakenTT but now I'm really confused, it does run with my 325 Ecu but isn't great, surely I need the software to benifit from the extra power etc

Thanks

You need a tune for your new M54B30 engine. Nothing will "adapt"........ the internal components between the 2 engines, the vanos, the intake, and even the compression is all different. The computer needs to know all this.

You can flash the new tune you need, on your old 325 ECU.
Guest021715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #17
e34m5freak199

My Ride: E34 M5, E46 325
Hey OP,

Ive done this swap myself and its simple.

Since your going from DBW to DBW and both DME are ms43 the answers is. (myn was 323 so needed a few more bits, DBW pedal box and about 6 wires running through to dme, but even that was easy)

1. Your either flash your DME yourself using either winkfp, sss or ISTA/P. I wouldnt recommend ISTA/P just yet.
The way to flash them is based on hardware numbers which you can identify using inpa software. It all sounds really daunting but actually a monkey could do it.

2. The easier option since you have the donor car and probably dont know 2 much about the software ATM, remove the DME, EWS, Door Lock, Boot Lock and Ignition Lock (put key in position 1, insert pin into small hold in ignition next to key and it pops right out, 1 second job) from the 330 and put it in your 325. The software maps on ALL THE DME are very different, only an absolute moron would swap a 3L into a 2.5 and leave the 2.5 DME software running. Like i said flashing it is basic. There is plenty of info about it out there or ask Terra, that guy basically knows everything.

Hey Terra, ive read allot of your stuff in my own research, your a champion

I have a stack of software along with my own bulletproof servers. I really feel like hosting it for public direct download. ista p and d, icom emu, every version of ediabas, 3 DIS, all progmons, ews editor etc etc.
e34m5freak199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #18
FryGuy

My Ride: 2001 325Cic w/ B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
You can reprogram DMEs? I'm in contact with a shop about a 325 to 330 engine swap and they want $600 for the DME flash. How would I do it myself?
FryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #19
HakenTT

My Ride: 323i with S54
Quote:
Originally Posted by FryGuy View Post
You can reprogram DMEs? I'm in contact with a shop about a 325 to 330 engine swap and they want $600 for the DME flash. How would I do it myself?
$600 for a stock flash, what a rip off.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #20
FryGuy

My Ride: 2001 325Cic w/ B30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
$600 for a stock flash, what a rip off.
That's what I thought. They also want $2500 for parts and $2300 for labor for the swap. Not sure if that's reasonable

FryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
325, 330, engine, replace, swap