330i broken into, oil leak video posted :idea: - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #21
2003silver330i

My Ride: 03 BMW 330i
Shows how to get access to the oil pan.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...oil+pan+gasket

Old 08-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #22
01_330i
Banned User

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003silver330i View Post
Shows how to get access to the oil pan.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...oil+pan+gasket

thanks!
Old 08-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #23
tcphoto

My Ride: E92 335 MT Coupe
In all seriousness, it looks like you've put a lot of effort into cleaning it up. At least you can get a better idea what it's going to take to get it running but you're trusting your life with one floor jack holding the car up. You need to support the car with a minimum of 2 ton jack stands and the floor jack as insurance. You wasted $50 worth of oil by not securing the oil pan or wherever it leaked from, so please do not crawl under the car until you can secure it.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #24
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
That dipstick is way off center from where it should be located.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #25
01_330i
Banned User

E46 yes I noticed som brackets that are attached to it, they're not in correct place
Old 08-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #26
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
As for us telling you to use a jack stands we are saying it for a REASON. There have been a few members that DIED doing what you did...

Last edited by Solidjake; 08-28-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #27
01_330i
Banned User

Lol wow really?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #28
motorhead55

My Ride: 01 325it 5spd sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon P. View Post
To be completly honest here, the coil ground straps, the power steering lines held up by zip ties and the missing MAF are the least of your problems...
There are 25 M6 bolts holding that pan up. 21 short ones, 2 long ones and 2 mid size ones accessible through holes in the trany bellhousing. There are also 3 torx bolts mating the oïl pan to the lower half of the trany. Seems like most of not all of them are missing which suggests someone tried and possibly succeeded in partially droping the oïl pan. For what, god only knows...
Now with that pan down, the oïl pan gasket seal has been compromised. If there still is an oïl pan gasket in there, who knows... That's why some of your brand new oïl is now on the curb. It's probably not all on the ground, most of it is still in the sump of the pan but some leaked out for sure which indicates one hell of an oïl leak.
Even if you were competent enough to confirm the original pan gasket is still in place, and could find all the missing bolts, the chances of that pan sealing back up to the block are pretty slim.
Long story short, you need to drop the pan (which involves dropping the front subframe enough to make removing the pan possible), clean the mating surfaces, buy a new pan gasket, and re-assemble everything. It's not that big a deal, but then again that all depends on how competent you are. And, I'm not judging you here, but your comments on that video lead me to the conclusion you may be in over your head...
Want advice? Tow your car to a competent Indy and let him do it. You'll save on the long run and get your car back 10X quicker...
Good luck.
I back Simon P on his response. Once the pan has been loosened like that it will never reseal.
Why were the bolts pulled in the first place? People don't go to the trouble of pulling out oil pan bolts without thinking first that they have bottom end problems. No offence intended but you might have bought someone else's mechanical nightmare. I hope you didn't pay much for the car. These are not like an old Ford or Chevy where you can get away with mickey mousing them and they still run.

Last edited by motorhead55; 08-28-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #29
Zardoz33

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01_330i View Post
Lol wow really?
I seriously think we're being trolled here guys. Read through all his topics. I believe the car wasn't "broken into and parts were stolen". Cars don't become salvaged titles with break-ins (or anything else) unless it amounts to a certain percentage the insurance company deems the car to be 'totaled'.

The amount (and type) of parts he's missing are akin to a car you'd find in a junkyard. This whole thing seems fishy. No offense, but my guess is he's fixing it up to throw on Craigslist. I came across dozens upon dozens of salvaged title cars that looked 'normal' on the Chicago craigs while searching for a car. Well over 1/2 of those I called said they bought it from an auction or junkyard and "fixed it up to normal working condition". Right. If I end up being wrong, then I'll cut up my center console, cook it and eat it. Until then, I'll remain extremely skeptical.

Last edited by Zardoz33; 08-28-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #30
01_330i
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead55 View Post
I back Simon P on his response. Once the pan has been loosened like that it will never reseal.
Why were the bolts pulled in the first place? People don't go to the trouble of pulling out oil pan bolts without thinking first that they have bottom end problems. No offence intended but you might have bought someone else's mechanical nightmare. I hope you didn't pay much for the car. These are not like an old Ford or Chevy where you can get away with mickey mousing them and they still run.
I feel ya well I got it to start earlier it sounds like **** j onestly haha but sounds like an exhaust leak nothing major just cranck it bc I got the maf in the mail today still gotta fix the leak I'm probably dropping the pan next week and ill replace the gasket gish me luck! Sorrybif I ofended anyones feelings
Old 08-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #31
01_330i
Banned User

Well the starts right up now with the maf sensor in
Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #32
01_330i
Banned User

Still shitty should I post a video?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #33
01_330i
Banned User

The plate in the says the pick up date for the car was 3/28 so roughly the caRs been sitting 5 months
Old 08-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #34
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
What did I tell you in the first thread you posted about your car OP?
I told you someone did an insurance fraud on this car; someone knew there was a problem, so instead of fixing it they ransacked some parts and claim it on insurance.
Now, if you want to play it safe, you already know what you need. Proper jackstands and engine brace. Get the new bolts for the oil pan, go from there.
Of course its going to run like ****, even with MAF. With such big hole at the bottom end and almost no oil, you thought the car would run smooth?

I would fix the leak first before you even try to start it. Trying to run the engine without oil is asking for trouble(if the engine is still sound).
Whats up with the dipstick? why is it towards the fender? It should be towards the manifold. Is the dipstick tube properly inserted to the oil pan?

Get a scanner, get a friend and start working on fixing the big leaks. Once you have the leaks sorted, slowly fix the other parts. Without fixing that leak, you are going no where with this car.
Good luck.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #35
01_330i
Banned User

Not sure the dip stick is inside anyone has a write up on that?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #36
01_330i
Banned User

I'm order tha oil pan gaskrt from amazo tomorrow and call my buddy up
Old 08-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #37
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
You must have bought this for like $500 to be willing to put any amount of time, energy, and money in to making it run. With the oil pan bolts out like that, personally, I wouldn't risk what they were pulled for in the first place.

No thief ever is going to ransack a car and in the process go, "gee - I need about 20 or so oil pan bolts." cool!

I believe there were problems in the car and this is why those bolts were missing. I seriously doubt the previous owner had a clue of what he was doing too.

If I were going through this puzzle I'd run a compression/leak down test on this engine to determine if the reason the oil pan bolts were removed was because the rings (or a ring) were shot and the PO thought he might be able to get to the bottom end without removing the motor OR the nut came off the oil pump and did some damage in the bottom end.

All speculation but that's half the fun of this thread.

That and you don't appear too butt hurt over getting hammered for the jack stands...

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | BMW Performance LCA | Mishimoto Intake Boots | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 5000k Xenarc CBI 66240 HID | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
Old 08-29-2013, 01:41 AM   #38
01_330i
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz33 View Post
I seriously think we're being trolled here guys. Read through all his topics. I believe the car wasn't "broken into and parts were stolen". Cars don't become salvaged titles with break-ins (or anything else) unless it amounts to a certain percentage the insurance company deems the car to be 'totaled'.

The amount (and type) of parts he's missing are akin to a car you'd find in a junkyard. This whole thing seems fishy. No offense, but my guess is he's fixing it up to throw on Craigslist. I came across dozens upon dozens of salvaged title cars that looked 'normal' on the Chicago craigs while searching for a car. Well over 1/2 of those I called said they bought it from an auction or junkyard and "fixed it up to normal working condition". Right. If I end up being wrong, then I'll cut up my center console, cook it and eat it. Until then, I'll remain extremely skeptical.
Remain skeptical then youre a ****in dumbass nobody wants to throw it up on craigslist wtf I want this for my daily use so **** off straight up I don't care if I get banned this is ridiculous

Last edited by 01_330i; 08-29-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:50 AM   #39
motorhead55

My Ride: 01 325it 5spd sport
Quote:
Remain skeptical then youre a ****in dumbass nobody wants to throw it up on craigslist wtf I want this for my daily use so **** off straight up I don't care if I get banned this is ridiculous
That is the way to win friends and influence people
Old 08-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #40
Zardoz33

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
I was being polite and said "no offense" but obviously you're a bit....sensitive.

Like I said: after reading through all of your posts in your multiple threads I think your stories don't match up at all. Also, a lot of questions people have asked, you ignore & some legit points people have brought up, you have these childish responses for.....which are signs of [fill in proper terms and finish my sentence].

I would love to know your vin # and to see an AutoCheck report for it. Post a report for forum lolz please. I am begging you.

Last edited by Zardoz33; 08-29-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
330i, coils, maf, oil leak, sedan