Power steering issue. - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
stevemt

My Ride: 2002 330i
Power steering issue.

Hello!

So a couple months back my car started making a noise like an angry whale every time I cut the wheel too hard. I figured it was a power steering leak; easy fix, right?

Wrong!!

I can't figure the darn thing out. I trimmed the lines leading to the reservoir and replaced the hose clamps about a month ago. They are still shiny and new looking. There isn't any fluid on the top or sides of the reservoir.

Stranger still, every time I top off the reservoir, the leak seems to worsen only up to a certain point before it stops, or at least slows dramatically. I can't exactly tell.

Can anyone help me out?
stevemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
you trimmed the lines? how did you do that? why didn't you just replace the whole thing? have you checked to see if its leaking from the pump? or if your high pressure power steering hose, which can be seen from under the car is leaking?
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
JohnnyJTown

My Ride: 99 323i
The leak that worsens after refill, to a certain point, is probably from the vent hole in the power steering res cap.
JohnnyJTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46x3,e90,e83
Change the PS reservoir - it has a built in filter that cannot be replaced separately. When you do this flush the entire PS circuit - replacing almost ALL fluid - replace with Redline D4 ATF - this will eliminate the whaling noise.

There are plenty of DIY steering fluid flush threads on here - just search.

When you are refilling follow procedures closely - turning wheel from chock to chock slowly at 10 sec intervals - do this with the front end raised to remove any stress from the rack gears while the fluid may be low. Make sure you follow the instructions in the DIY - you need to get all the air bubbles out.

Last edited by BMW-North; 10-12-2013 at 03:16 PM.
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
dznuts007

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Hopefully your PS pump isn't going out. Happened to me a few years back. Made that groaning sound then went out. Followed the DIY and replaced it. Pretty easy. A few months ago it made that groaning sound again. Checked the PS fluid to make sure it wasn't all brown and cloudy like when my first PS pump went out. Fluid was perfectly clear. I used some of the Lucas Oil Power Steering Fluid with Conditioners and it stopped the groaning. Whew! Didnt want to have to replace the PS pump again.

Change the reservoir as suggested above because of the non-serviceable filter. If the groaning doesnt stop, try adding some of that Lucas PS fluid
dznuts007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, leak, power, reservoir, steering