E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
Denim Dan

My Ride: 2004 325i
Power Steering Pump

I just recently changed my P/S fluid and hoses. Two days after I now get a horrific sound whenever I barely turn the wheel to the left or the right almost as if there is no fluid at all (it does get better at higher speeds). Indy shops telling me it's the pump. $100 in labor if I bring him the part or it's a total of $450. Does this price seem fair? It really came out of nowhere. I was making some tight turns in the taco bell drive through and all of the sudden it started screaming.
Denim Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Brissyjohn

My Ride: 2007 MX-5
It sounds to me like air in the lines. I repaired my PS pump and had drained nearly all the fluid and had the problem you've got. All went well until I tried some tight turns. I tried everything to get the air out but.... So I drained it again (took a line off the pump) then reconnected and slowly filled it, let it sit for a while, topped up a bit more and then ran the engine for about 15 seconds without turning the wheel.

Had a beer, came back and topped up fluid again, ran engine for a minute or so and just moved the steering wheel a bit less than 1/4 turn each way then shutdown and had another beer. Then checked fluid level, ran the engine again and drove the car up and down the driveway a couple of times turning the wheel back and forth a bit less than 1/2 a turn and then left the car overnight - had too many beers to safely drive on the road by then.

Next morning drove it all over the place and all was good.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Denim Dan

Hmmm... I may tell the shop no thanks and try that out. I was a little weary of the place since he asked me what kind of oil I use and I replied "Mobile 1 0w-40, what do you use in the shop" an he responding by saying "we use any type of 5w30". That was probably my Que to leave. I had always thought that the power steering system was self-bleeding?

Last edited by Denim Dan; 10-17-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
Brissyjohn

Worth a try - it will only cost you some time and Dextron.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Denim Dan

Don't forget the beer hah! I will probably end up doing that because it seems too much of a coincidence that the pump would fail only a few days after the fluid change.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
Brissyjohn

I dug up the old thread from January. Start at post #26: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=895856&highlight=pump&page=2
Old 10-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brissyjohn View Post
It sounds to me like air in the lines. I repaired my PS pump and had drained nearly all the fluid and had the problem you've got. All went well until I tried some tight turns. I tried everything to get the air out but.... So I drained it again (took a line off the pump) then reconnected and slowly filled it, let it sit for a while, topped up a bit more and then ran the engine for about 15 seconds without turning the wheel.

Had a beer, came back and topped up fluid again, ran engine for a minute or so and just moved the steering wheel a bit less than 1/4 turn each way then shutdown and had another beer. Then checked fluid level, ran the engine again and drove the car up and down the driveway a couple of times turning the wheel back and forth a bit less than 1/2 a turn and then left the car overnight - had too many beers to safely drive on the road by then.

Next morning drove it all over the place and all was good.
Aha! So the secret is the beer then?

Would it go faster with Tequila shots?
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
Brissyjohn

Quite possibly, except I could end up confusing the Tequila with the Dextron and drink the Dextron.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
VishTheFish

My Ride: Ex M54B30 ZHP
When i changed my high pressure fluid line I completely drained the system.

For my bleeding process I filled the reservoir (level will drop anyway because there's nothing in the system) , turned the car on, turned the wheel to lock (briefly- never holding it there) for a couple minutes. Periodically checked the level in the reservoir and filled accordingly as I was turning the wheel. It worked perfectly to get the bubbles out.

HTH
Old 10-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
Denim Dan

Are there any significant differences in the symptoms between air bubbles in the system and a bad power steering pump?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
VishTheFish

I'm not entirely sure, but if the pump was just dandy prior to draining some fluid and refilling it- I'd like to rule that out first as a source of the problem

And if you truly do need another pump, just DIY, its ridiculously easy and a waste to pay someone else. It's literally 3 bolts that mount it and just the hose connections. Easy as pie.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
Denim Dan

I agree with you on that. I'll pick it up from the shop tomorrow. I just don't like driving it when it's making that raping noise! I'll drain the system and refill it and go from there. The car has 126k miles on it and the pump maaaybe original i'm not quite sure but ill most likely diy it if it doesn't solve the problem
Old 10-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
Denim Dan

Was told by the shop today that he doesn't believe it's the pump since the vibration seems to be coming from the high pressure hose. He said he'd replace it for a couple hundred dollars. I told him to quite touching it and I'll pick it up today.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denim Dan View Post
I just recently changed my P/S fluid and hoses. Two days after I now get a horrific sound whenever I barely turn the wheel to the left or the right almost as if there is no fluid at all (it does get better at higher speeds). Indy shops telling me it's the pump. $100 in labor if I bring him the part or it's a total of $450. Does this price seem fair? It really came out of nowhere. I was making some tight turns in the taco bell drive through and all of the sudden it started screaming.
Question - what fluid did you use? Did you use actual power steering fluid or say, ATF?

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #15
Denim Dan

I use ATF IV
Old 10-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #16
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
I use ATF IV
What is "ATF 4"? There's Dex 3, Dex 6, no such thing as Dex 4.

So what did you use (brand, type)? The reason I ask is because like you said this started after you changed it. So looking into that is a reasonable first course of action.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i, '11 Z435i
Quote:
Are there any significant differences in the symptoms between air bubbles in the system and a bad power steering pump?
Often air bubbles in the system cause more of a chatter sound like this:

It also causes an uneven feeling in the wheel when you turn it. I had that once and cleared the bubbles out by raising the front tires off the ground and doing a steady slow lock-to-lock back and forth several times.

Bad power steering pump makes a more steady moaning sound which gets louder the more it's worn out.

I'm using Valvoline full synthetic Dexron VI. I think the manual calls for Dexron III or IV, but the newer formulations are backwards compatible.

Last edited by Tangent_; 10-18-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Tangent_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
Brissyjohn

Quote:
I use ATF IV
Should use ATF DEX 3 (Castrol make it).
Old 10-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #19
Denim Dan

That's what I met to type. I'll try to post a video
Old 10-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #20
VishTheFish

I used Mobil 1 ATF Dex VI (Dex 6) as there was no Dex 3 available to me. If you are using ATF +4 then thats the wrong one

Tags
noise, power steering, power steering pump, taco bell