E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #61
Jethro_the_Pilot

My Ride: 2005 325 CI
Re: DIY External Bluetooth Microphone Install for Eonon D5150 Car DVD Player

King, where did you end up as the final placement of your mic?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Jethro

"Pressurized Aluminum Tube Driver"
Jethro_the_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #62
cyberlando

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekingarthur View Post
Thanks LD330XI.

To use the factory mic, you probably would need to stick with factory radio or nav units. You could always stuff an aftermarket mic into the factory location, but as Linx said, you get worse quality.
Thanks a lot guys!
[] Led Interior [] DICE Module [] Auxilary 3.5 jack [] 4 channel Amp with component speakers.....and more
Suspension/Handling:
[] KW V3 [] Eibach F&R Sways [] Vibratechnics Tranny mount [] UUC RTAB
[] Vibratechnics Motor Mount [] SSBL [] Turner Camber Plates
[] 90A Akg Subframe Bushings [] Akg Differential Bushings [] Subframe Renforcement

cyberlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #63
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_ink View Post
Got mine installed a couple days ago and fortunately my mic sounds good according to a few people I've talked to via Bluetooth. No modifications for me.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using BimmerApp
After some testing, I can confirm the same thing. Mic sounds good, usual speakerphone sound (you can tell that the person is not talking directly to the mic), but very clear sound and totally usable.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #64
Thekingarthur

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro_the_Pilot View Post
King, where did you end up as the final placement of your mic?

In the headliner factory location for bluetooth mic. Mine was empty. I did take the mic (pictured in DIY) out of it's shell before placing it there because some people reported trying that spot and it not working well (don't remember what mics they were using though).

I did a search for the best location to install a mic in a convertible and around the rear view mirror seemed to pop up pretty often in people's opinions so I figured the factory location was pretty spot on. Seems to work well for me and it stays hidden out of the way.
Thekingarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #65
Jethro_the_Pilot

My Ride: 2005 325 CI
Re: DIY External Bluetooth Microphone Install for Eonon D5150 Car DVD Player

Thanks King. I am going to do your mod soon. That is the only drawback I have with the unit. Every thing else works great. For the money It can't be beat and the customer service has been excellent.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using BimmerApp mobile app

Jethro

"Pressurized Aluminum Tube Driver"
Jethro_the_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #66
Thekingarthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro_the_Pilot View Post
Thanks King. I am going to do your mod soon. That is the only drawback I have with the unit. Every thing else works great. For the money It can't be beat and the customer service has been excellent.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using BimmerApp mobile app
No problem. I agree, it's a steal even with the few necessary workarounds to get it to function well.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #67
skipper619

My Ride: 318ci
I just fitted an external mic and now i have no mic function whatsoever
any ideas what on to do next ?
skipper619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #68
Thekingarthur

I would first verify that your mic works with something else, and make sure your mic doesn't require power. Then check your solder connections.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #69
chetdaniel

My Ride: 325i
DIY External Bluetooth Microphone for Eonon D5150

Can you use a shielded female jack that screws into the vacant slot at to rear of the unit? How would you wire a shielded female jack? I would appreciate any feedback.
chetdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #70
Thekingarthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetdaniel View Post
Can you use a shielded female jack that screws into the vacant slot at to rear of the unit? How would you wire a shielded female jack? I would appreciate any feedback.
You would connect the shielding to ground, which in this case would be the chassis of the head unit (easiest) or to the chassis of the car inside your dash (better).

I doubt you'd see any gains with a low quality mic connected to this cheap receiver, and there won't be any benefit at all if your shielded female jack only existed near the head unit. You would really need the shielded cable to run all the way up to wherever you position your mic for the shielding to have any effect. Running an unshielded cable through your car up to a shielded 6" female jack would be pointless.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #71
chetdaniel

Thank you for your reply. There are three terminals at the base of the shielded female jack. Since the prongs are not numbered (a,b,c;etc.) I was wondering which terminals to wire. The shielded jack is stereo and the external mic jack is mono.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #72
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 SMG M3
External Mic is now included on the GM5150 (Item #28).

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri - Sprint Booster V2
UltraGauge - Orion V4's - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - VIS XTS CF Hood - CSL Trunk - Valentine One - Turner 15F/12R Spacers
WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #73
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 SMG M3
External Mic is now included on the GM5150 (Item #28).

TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri - Sprint Booster V2
UltraGauge - Orion V4's - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - VIS XTS CF Hood - CSL Trunk - Valentine One - Turner 15F/12R Spacers
WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #74
chetdaniel

Thank you very much. I wish I had bought the GM5150 instead.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #75
Linx

My Ride: '02 BMW 325iT
Being that my soldering skills absolutely suck, I think I burned the connection points on the board. So I ordered a new board from Eonon (which comes with all boards on the faceplate). They've been sitting on my shelf in its packaging for some time now cuz I've been too lazy to get to it. I noticed the mic on the new board sits a lot higher then my original one which sat flush on the board. So instead of trying the external mod, I'm gonna try making the hole bigger first. Has this method worked for everyone who' s done it? Also, has anyone tried soldering an external mic to the internal mic wires instead of removing it? How is the sound quality? I know this was mentioned in the op but I never saw any comment about its quality. Would like to upgrade to the GM5150. Anyone have an idea what the used D5150's are selling for?
Linx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #76
skipper619

They wont sell me a replacement board only a new radio how did you get one from them ?
Old 05-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #77
Linx

My Ride: '02 BMW 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper619 View Post
They wont sell me a replacement board only a new radio how did you get one from them ?
I emailed Carlos about it but it took quite a while before I got it. I don't think it's something they normally sell and I think just got lucky to get one. Which board do you need?
Linx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:16 AM   #78
skipper619

I did exactly what you did because the mic didnt work at all and i couldnt be without a radio while i returned it to china
its a 5150 I need the board with the mic
Old 05-13-2014, 05:00 AM   #79
dibidib

My Ride: e46 318 touring
wrong topic sorry

Last edited by dibidib; 05-13-2014 at 05:01 AM. Reason: wrong topic sorry
dibidib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #80
Razz617

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
I have had my D5150 for about a year now. I wish I had waited, or wish Eonon had made D5150 that ACTUALLY WORKED!!! Congrats to those that got the batch that the mic does work. For the rest of us that got the non working sets, we are left with finding modifications.
Anyway, I'll be trying KingArthur's external mod this weekend. Though it was very easy, drilling a bigger hold didn't exactly work for me.
Next, is the rear view camera! ;-)
Razz617 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluetooth, d5150, eonon, mic, microphone