E46 Touring - Clean & Bagged Daily Driver - Build Thread - Page 5 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 01:14 AM   #81
h2obimmer

My Ride: 2005 M3, 2002 XiT
so while the wagon was down I decided to get it all prepped and ready for bags by running power and air lines.
it's def a slow process for a newbie and a lot of trial and error
hopefully my build thread can help other builders get through all these issues much more quickly.

use tape to mock valves and once you're sure of their placement use this loctite stuff to make it permanent

I realized the wiring harness wasn't long enough to reach my original placement, so I gave it a new home

see how short it is - test everything before making it permanent!!!!

Power for pumps!!!
h2obimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:22 AM   #82
h2obimmer

I decided to keep all my lines safe and sound inside the vehicle and run them under the floor

luckily BMW already ran a bunch of power lines here so it made it much easier to find space for the air and management lines.

I ran the e-level lines through a pre-existing hole in the firewall. even has it's own rubber plug i was able to use.

then i ran the air lines through two existing rubber tubes in the firewall....it's like they were made specifically for this.

to keep the line for the driver's side in place, i drilled a hole in the plastic piece.
it works like a charm!!!

Old 03-24-2014, 08:31 AM   #83
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
good lord - I just saw almost the same type of strut failure on the reddit page, "Just Rolled Into the Shop"
Old 03-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #84
330i ZHP

nice progress and good ideas on running lines in the car

the e-Level might be in the way of the air lines on the VU4 where you have it sitting right now
Old 03-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #85
h2obimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
nice progress and good ideas on running lines in the car

the e-Level might be in the way of the air lines on the VU4 where you have it sitting right now
yeah, it's a work in progress and i'm learning as I go. i have no doubt i'll be moving the VU4 a 3rd time before i'm done...lol
Old 03-27-2014, 12:06 AM   #86
h2obimmer

after 3 days of struggling to remove the suspension and hub I finally got it out thanks to the amazing members of the North Texas Bimmers Club (NTBC).

Rust has made this job damn near impossible and I required an extra set of hands, a BMW tech and special tools to get this far.

the parts go to the machine shop in the morning to get the old rusty bolt drilled out so i can install the bags.

(all these pics were cell pics - hands were too dirty to touch my camera)

Finally off and in the trunk ready to go to machine shop

Old 04-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #87
h2obimmer

everything is back from the machine shop and it wasn't great news when i got the bill :/ it cost me an entire leg and half my arm but the bolt is finally out. they said the bolt was so rusted that it had all but become part of the metal surrounding it.

DISCLAIMER: DO NOT install airbags alone!!! This is def. a job for two people and I have had one hell of a hard time working on this by myself.
passenger side front bag is in but nothing is tightened yet.

fed the air line and sensor line through the stock opening
Old 04-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #88
haterdan

My Ride: 325xit
What did you use for front struts?
haterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #89
h2obimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterdan View Post
What did you use for front struts?
don't you recognize the Bilstein yellow? lol

Last edited by h2obimmer; 04-01-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:19 AM   #90
haterdan

Haha there is so little i didn't see it. I think my car is gonna be a bit lower than your car. I'm using the fronts off of a jetta in a complete strut/bag assembly.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #91
h2obimmer

Quote:
Haha there is so little i didn't see it. I think my car is gonna be a bit lower than your car. I'm using the fronts off of a jetta in a complete strut/bag assembly.
well if you're gonna cheat and use parts from other cars how the hell am I supposed to win?!?!?

how much modification/fabrication (if any) did it take to allow those to fit?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #92
haterdan

They are at a machine shop in texas right now. I have new spindles being machined and fitted all in total it's gonna be like 400 bucks. So 1100 for the entire from assembly but I know for sure it will work 100%. I'm also using rear bags from a audi tt for the rears. Bahahahahaha
Old 04-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #93
h2obimmer

Quote:
They are at a machine shop in texas right now. I have new spindles being machined and fitted all in total it's gonna be like 400 bucks. So 1100 for the entire from assembly but I know for sure it will work 100%. I'm also using rear bags from a audi tt for the rears. Bahahahahaha
so do you have experience building setups like this? seems like such a random assortment of parts. how did you decide on which parts to use?

They had to make a custom setup for me since the Xi wagon is not something people bag often.

although, now that all the work is done i could def. duplicate it myself.

i always wonder how people use diff parts from diff cars, seems like a lot of custom fab.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #94
haterdan

I have a friend who owns a airride shop. And I did a ton of research. I had the car for a few years before I went this route. I also learned that asking on this forum is worthless because all they tell you is do preventive maintenance and how the car us made out of glass. The way dudes like Sam talk you should have enough money to buy a second car before you consider doing anything cool.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #95
330i ZHP

You should replace your car before you do any mods according to mongo. Yes. I said mongo
Old 04-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #96
h2obimmer

Quote:
I have a friend who owns a airride shop. And I did a ton of research. I had the car for a few years before I went this route. I also learned that asking on this forum is worthless because all they tell you is do preventive maintenance and how the car us made out of glass. The way dudes like Sam talk you should have enough money to buy a second car before you consider doing anything cool.
cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed, which is exactly what I have always done (while maintaing them). I had a feeling you had someone with some experience in this field. I'm def intrigued by your future setup. you have a build thread right?

Quote:
You should replace your car before you do any mods according to mongo. Yes. I said mongo
I'm all about maintenance but i def don't wanna spend all my earnings on maintaining a car instead of enjoying it.
however, i don't read enough on this site to agree or disagree with your statements...lol
Old 04-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #97
haterdan

I'm too lazy for build threads but I'll answer any questions you have that I can.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:47 PM   #98
330i ZHP

the maintenance comment is kind of a joke - about a user on this forum that insists modifying a car is worthless
Old 04-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #99
h2obimmer

Quote:
the maintenance comment is kind of a joke - about a user on this forum that insists modifying a car is worthless
sounds like the most boring human alive
Old 04-02-2014, 11:15 PM   #100
h2obimmer

Quote:
I'm too lazy for build threads but I'll answer any questions you have that I can.
BOOOOOOO
we want to learn from you!!!

but LOL

Tags
bmw, e46, touring, wagon, xit