E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 03:48 AM   #21
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Talk about determination! Wish I lived near you so we could talk cars. Keep it up brotha'!
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #22
BBBoy323i

My Ride: 01' 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by alp330ine View Post
Appreciate it! I'm 18 and am dual enrolled in high school and college. Last semester I was taking all college classes and 18 credits, this semester i'm taking 16 college credits and AP English 4 which takes a lot of time. I pretty much run the shop by myself and my dad comes for a few hours over the weekend to help organize lol. It gets pretty tough, but its not too bad, I've had a shop out of my house for working on technology since I was in 7th grade so I have gotten pretty good at managing my time. The toughest, yet very enjoyable part about my whole operation is probably the amount of time I spend on the road, on average I drive 120-150 miles a day and pretty much during the traffic hours. Not trying to tell my whole life story here just letting you guys know a little about me lol!

And here's where I finished off the day today:

Now it's time to go home!
Good for you! I wish I had your determination

Last edited by BBBoy323i; 03-10-2014 at 05:59 PM.
BBBoy323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #23
Levim9

My Ride: S54 325i & LSB M3
Subscribed. I like where this thread is going.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #24
alp330ine

My Ride: 2001 S54 Sedan 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko_10 View Post
Subscribed.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
Damn kid, looks like you know your stuff and have the tools to pull it off. Keep up the good work looking forward to more updates!
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
Lol, jealous, aren't we?
OP runs a shop and a business. That's worth more than a salvaged E46 and an IS300.

OP, props for your work. This is going to be a great experience for you in the future. Just try to get your priorities straight and spend more time and effort on those things that will matter more in a long run. I am telling you this because I'm over twice your age and still find it hard to do.
I appreciate the kindness! School is definitely my top priority, I am going to NC State University this coming fall as a computer science major and plan on relocating the shop there. I learn by doing and the shop is a great place for me to learn a lot of new things that I hope will be useful in my future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by always-there View Post
Talk about determination! Wish I lived near you so we could talk cars. Keep it up brotha'!
Appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levim9 View Post
Subscribed. I like where this thread is going.
Thanks! You have a nice sleeper sedan haha!

Now for some updates!

Today I had a lot of stuff going on, but was able to remove the gas tank, clean the underbody and engine bay as well as all of the brake lines. I also started disassembling the M3. I was planning on painting the underbody and engine bay with bed liner or something of that sort, but I have a lot of other cars I need to work on so my car will need to be finished in the next couple of days. I plan on just finishing the swap as quick as I can so that my car can be out of the shop.

I went out and bought a few steel plates that I will cut to size for the subframe reinforcements. After the swap is complete I will also put the structural foam in to make it more sturdy.

Sorry no pics today, left the camera at the shop, will post pics tomorrow. Once again thanks for looking!

Last edited by alp330ine; 03-10-2014 at 09:50 PM.
alp330ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #25
alp330ine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBoy323i View Post
Good for you! I wish I had your determination
Thank you very much!

I really appreciate everyone's encouragement and feedback!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:30 PM   #26
alp330ine

Not many updates today, have been slammed with customers the past couple of days. All I have been able to do is remove the M3 Interior and remove the engine and transmission out of the M3. Here are some pics:

There should be bigger updates tomorrow as I, hopefully, will be able to spend the whole day on my car, but we will see! Thanks for looking!
Old 03-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #27
alp330ine

Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been busy with customers as well as stripping some of my cars so that I can scrap them to make space in the shop. I have fitted the engine and transmission, removed the rear suspension from the M3, and also cut the reinforcement plates and now I just have to weld them in. I am planning to start driving my car by Thursday at the latest. Will post pics tomorrow!
Old 03-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #28
Skidoo03

My Ride: Wants a third pedal.
Sub'd.
Skidoo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #29
alp330ine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidoo03 View Post
Sub'd.
Thanks!

No pictures again, but have been driving the car testing it out for the past couple of days. Learning coding and what not as I get time to do so. Since my donor car's maf and airbox were completely busted I have not been driving it as much, I am waiting on that as well as a new dipstick and dipstick tube before I start daily driving the car. The only bugs I have left to sort out are:

Code the M3 keys to control locks, add LED's to the M3 cluster so that when rear doors open the door indicators light up, BRAKE and DSC lights are on since a speed sensor is messed up (also ordered).

Now on to the future stuff:
* All new bushings, all though this will be later on once I clear out the shop towards the summer.
* Do a valve adjustment.
* Change the diff fluid (wasn't able to buy this locally so will be ordering soon)
* New rotors and pads.

* I may even buy a cheap wagon when it comes across and then swap the engine/transmission in there. A wagon would be much more practical for me, as I am always hauling tools and parts around.

The swap was not as hard as I had expected going in to this, the wiring was pretty easy, now I am learning the coding which also seems easy. As soon as I get the parts, should be tuesday or wednesday, I will upload some decent pics.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:12 PM   #30
alp330ine

Here are a few pics I took with my phone today before I left the shop. Haven't really messed with the car much, just been driving it while working on the other cars! Still waiting on the Datsun as well, had a few transporters fall through, but found someone that said they will bring it before Friday, we will see.

Once I find some time to actually clean the car up a little and put the rest of the interior in, I will snap some higher quality pics.

I realized that the rear springs are put in upside down, which is why the rear is sitting so high, that will be fixed as well!

Thanks for looking!
Old 03-31-2014, 11:43 AM   #31
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Sick, how's it running? Any dash lights?
Old 03-31-2014, 01:51 PM   #32
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alp330ine View Post
I realized that the rear springs are put in upside down, which is why the rear is sitting so high, that will be fixed as well!
Very nice work
but I can't see how the spring would make a difference? would be the same height either way. I think it's the heavier S54 engine in nose that's pushing the front down and making the rear go up
Old 03-31-2014, 06:59 PM   #33
alp330ine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan Hussein View Post
Sick, how's it running? Any dash lights?
Thanks! It's running well, I have the brake light as well as the DSC light on since the speed sensor wire is cut, but that should be fixed soon. Also the airbag light is on because I got impatient and turned the car on before the seats were hooked up, but that can be erased simply as well.

Right now I am just driving the car as is since I have so much work piling up, mainly with school, but everything will be solved slowly but surely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Very nice work
but I can't see how the spring would make a difference? would be the same height either way. I think it's the heavier S54 engine in nose that's pushing the front down and making the rear go up
I really appreciate it! I guessed that it was the springs because when I had first installed them I had installed one side upside down and that side remained higher than the other, but I will find out as soon as I change them haha! Worst case scenario I will put stock sport springs in until I find some coilovers.

Thanks for looking!
Old 03-31-2014, 09:08 PM   #34
nike001

My Ride: Fergo
Holy sheit man this was the shortest S54 swap I've ever seen.

Just a few posts ago, the engines were both out and then seemingly all of the sudden there was an S54 in that sedan! You just made the whole process seem like cake. Good work!

2015 M235i 6MT
nike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:10 PM   #35
mcm1209

My Ride: 2003 325i
Subd

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
mcm1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #36
alp330ine

Thanks, I Appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Holy sheit man this was the shortest S54 swap I've ever seen.

Just a few posts ago, the engines were both out and then seemingly all of the sudden there was an S54 in that sedan! You just made the whole process seem like cake. Good work!

Been doing minor things here and there to the car, mainly just enjoying driving it! The car is extremely loud as there is no muffler on it, I was planning on just putting a stock muffler off of a 325i I have laying around for the time being.

Ordered a Laso water pump, thermostat, ngk plugs, both air filters, and a new dipstick tube since the original dipstick is broken off in the tube.

I need to order new rotors and pads as well recharge my A/C now that it is starting to get hot!

I still have a lot of minor things to do but the car feels great! And I finally went and picked up the Datsun yesterday, not sure what I'm going to do with it as of right now but here are some pics!

Thanks for looking! Will have some high quality pics of my car up soon, once I can lower the rear a little more to improve the rake!
Old 04-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #37
trizzuth

My Ride: 231k, 16yr old B3AST
Nice work op, 'scribed..

Old 04-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #38
Swater330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i 5MT
I bet when that datsun leaves your hands it will be absolutely pristine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSubie View Post
IMO, the euro clear corners looks too aftermarket/ricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davconelectric View Post
This 323 would most likely handle and drive better than a stock e46 m3.
Swater330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #39
alp330ine

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
Nice work op, 'scribed..

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swater330i View Post
I bet when that datsun leaves your hands it will be absolutely pristine.
I appreciate it man! I wouldn't be too sure about the Datsun leaving my hands though

Some updates:

The thermostat is starting to act up so I am going to replace the water pump (laso) as well as the thermostat (wahler) and the spark plugs this weekend. Am getting a generic muffler, comparable to a flowmasters, today so the car should sound a little quieter! Will post updates as soon as I can.

Thanks for looking!
Old 06-18-2014, 11:13 PM   #40
superstallion93

My Ride: 01 330ci
Awesome job man! It's good to see some people still building E46's in NC. You know if you had some spare time i'd love to loan you my 330 to do a swap like that again!

superstallion93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330i, facelift sedan, s54 swap