325i Performance questions. - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
FrederickRoutt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Hayward CA
Posts: 6
My Ride: 2001 E46 325i
Exclamation 325i Performance questions.

Hey Guys,

I have a 2001 325i and I am trying to get more power out of the car.

first of all DONT tell me to go out and buy a 330 or an M3. I don't want a super powerful car I just want to get a little more power out of my current car. Before people tell me to just buy a Supercharger and thats it I know there are little things here and there that you can do to get some more power. THOSE are the things I want to hear. i love my car, i just want to have a little fun out of it.

Hypothetically money is not an issue. I just want to get a good idea of what to invest in. (THIS IS MY MONEY, MY CAR. PLEASE DONT TELL ME IM WASTING MY MONEY)
FrederickRoutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #2
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 13,119
My Ride: E60M
well, barring upgrading to a 330 or M3 or going FI to get some actual power-adders for the car, you can do intake (highly debatable and most likely won't do anything for you except add noise), cat-back exhaust, headers, ECU tune, pullies, and l/w flywheel (assuming manual). All that will cost you in the rough ballpark of $3k-$4k if you can DIY it all and net you a small handful of HP. Cams will run you another $2kish and net you another small handful. Or you can spend the same amount for FI and get some real returns.

NO2 is also an option.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
FrederickRoutt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Hayward CA
Posts: 6
My Ride: 2001 E46 325i
Mainly all i really want to do is get maybe 200-230 horse out of the car. before i go in and dump a super charger on the motor. I can do all of the work myself the only thing i will need to do is get the parts. (Labor I can do myself) how much would i be looking at without labor?
FrederickRoutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 13,119
My Ride: E60M
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederickRoutt View Post
Mainly all i really want to do is get maybe 200-230 horse out of the car. before i go in and dump a super charger on the motor. I can do all of the work myself the only thing i will need to do is get the parts. (Labor I can do myself) how much would i be looking at without labor?
yeah. That entire list above may net you 200-210 at the crank. You're going to have to go FI to get the numbers you're looking for. Unless you're willing to pony up for a Hamann stroker kit (if they even still make it, and if they make it for the M54B25), it was about $18K for parts, not including you shipping your engine to them to do the work.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
hitbyastick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DC
Posts: 2,243
My Ride: 2002 325i
2.5L bottom end is not forged, therefore in my opinion is not worth souping up. OP should replace the engine with a used 3.0 with ZHP cams and get a European tune for the DME. That would probably be the cheapest. Replace a bunch of stuff before you put it in. Deal with the oil pump nut problem. Then install. That might net you close to what you want and be the least amount of cost and hassle.

Then I'd be looking at the rear subframe mounting locations for cracks to repair. Because 2001.

2001 though, might be throttle cabled. More hassle.
__________________
Erryboddy got a plan till they get punched in the mouf - Mike Tyson

Last edited by hitbyastick; 04-02-2014 at 01:29 PM.
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
Ervin87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Bay Area, CA (Santa Clara)
Posts: 7,476
My Ride: E92 M3 | S4 | E30
Send a message via AIM to Ervin87
Unfortunately none of the bolt-on modifications are going to yield any significant and noticeable power gain. By the time you buy all the bolt-on parts and install them, you will be at the same dollar value as a supercharger kit, which actually makes a difference.
__________________
EUROPROJEKTZ - NorCal Chapter


Ervin (Bay Area Detailer)
Ervin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 5,538
My Ride: JDM
You should sell it and buy a 330 or M3. Or supercharge.
__________________
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
mjpgolf1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cleveland Oh
Posts: 2,490
My Ride: 00 328i,05 745,03 X5
OP you say a few things that just don't jive here. First off it looks like you just recently bought your car, so I would ask if money is not an issue then why didn't you at least buy a 330? That would've gotten you where you are wanting to be power wise. The money you will spend trying to make your 325 produce 200 hp would be better spent on another car. The best way to do this is to take the 325 and list it for sale, then add the $3k to $5k that you will spend on your 325 trying to get a few more ponies out of it on top of the money you get for your car and buy a 330. This will also be smarter in the long run as a stock 330 will always be worth more than a cut up 325. Any cash you spend on your current car to get more power is just a complete waste of money and you will never get it back. Either drive the car you have and be happy or make the responsible decision to just sell yours and buy the right car to begin with.

I know you said this isn't what you want to hear but its the truth. You came here asking the opinion of experienced BMW owners of what you should do and I'm sorry but there is no other smart way to do what you want to do. I still question how money isn't an issue but you bought a 325. I'm sure you can understand why I say that. Usually people buy the smaller engine cars because they don't have the cash to buy the bigger engine car, so instead of just being patient, saving their money, and waiting until they find the car they really want, they instead break open the piggy bank and buy whatever car they find that they can afford. I'm not saying this is what you did but this is usually the case. I've seen it happen too many times.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
Cole Macgyver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 13
Agreed.


MacGyver
Cole Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #11
hitbyastick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DC
Posts: 2,243
My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
OP you say a few things that just don't jive here. First off it looks like you just recently bought your car, so I would ask if money is not an issue then why didn't you at least buy a 330? That would've gotten you where you are wanting to be power wise. The money you will spend trying to make your 325 produce 200 hp would be better spent on another car. The best way to do this is to take the 325 and list it for sale, then add the $3k to $5k that you will spend on your 325 trying to get a few more ponies out of it on top of the money you get for your car and buy a 330. This will also be smarter in the long run as a stock 330 will always be worth more than a cut up 325. Any cash you spend on your current car to get more power is just a complete waste of money and you will never get it back. Either drive the car you have and be happy or make the responsible decision to just sell yours and buy the right car to begin with.

I know you said this isn't what you want to hear but its the truth. You came here asking the opinion of experienced BMW owners of what you should do and I'm sorry but there is no other smart way to do what you want to do. I still question how money isn't an issue but you bought a 325. I'm sure you can understand why I say that. Usually people buy the smaller engine cars because they don't have the cash to buy the bigger engine car, so instead of just being patient, saving their money, and waiting until they find the car they really want, they instead break open the piggy bank and buy whatever car they find that they can afford. I'm not saying this is what you did but this is usually the case. I've seen it happen too many times.
Hey now I chose this little 325 over a 330 that drove like a beast. Only because the interior and exterior was in much better shape. They were the same price. Cheap.

I'm very solidly in a minority of people who prefer base level trim, for myriad reasons. One, less complicated. Two, less costly. Three, more volume production makes parts easier to find and cheaper. Although I'm splitting hairs with the E46 on that. All E46s are volume cars and therefore a dime a dozen.

325s get treated like little black red-headed step sheep in the comments here but they are an excellent driving experience nonetheless, and they are real BMWs. I might think that because I drive within the law and within my limits. It's a commuter. Something to take my dog to the vet and hit the supermarket in on the way back. It's not a weekend toy and it certainly isn't a lifestyle for me. Cars are boring after you have ridden motorcycles your whole life.

At the end of the day the E46 is not a race car, ZHP or 323. People try to turn them into race cars and they succeed but only at great cost. I like them the way they were delivered, and I enjoy fewer headaches and more resty nights. Can't type the word re****l because the **** gets replaced with asterisks due to the less-than-robust interpolation software utilized by this website. But I digress.
__________________
Erryboddy got a plan till they get punched in the mouf - Mike Tyson

Last edited by hitbyastick; 04-02-2014 at 06:07 PM.
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #12
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 13,119
My Ride: E60M
Nobody's saying the 325 isn't a good car. What we're saying is that, for N/A power, the 325 is not the 3 series to pick. If you wanted a powerful car, you should have gone another route. Like he said, with what it would cost to get the 325 to 330 power, you could easily buy a nicely maintained 330.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #13
hitbyastick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DC
Posts: 2,243
My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Nobody's saying the 325 isn't a good car. What we're saying is that, for N/A power, the 325 is not the 3 series to pick. If you wanted a powerful car, you should have gone another route. Like he said, with what it would cost to get the 325 to 330 power, you could easily buy a nicely maintained 330.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Tru dat, I don't dispute. I wuz protesting the people buy the smaller engine cars because they don't have the cash to buy the bigger engine car comment, as it isn't true. Some intentionally buy the base models with the plastic hubcaps, as in on purpose.
__________________
Erryboddy got a plan till they get punched in the mouf - Mike Tyson
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #14
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 13,119
My Ride: E60M
I wasn't paying attention I thought your post was OP defending his quest for huge power gains on his 325. Carry on with your hubcaps


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #15
David McMahon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Suffolk, UK
Posts: 1,451
My Ride: '99 E38 740iL
325 is fast for us, we start at a 316! I remember thinking my 328 would kill me if I put my foot down when I first got it. Turns out it's still a road car!
__________________
David McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #16
hitbyastick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DC
Posts: 2,243
My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by David McMahon View Post
325 is fast for us, we start at a 316! I remember thinking my 328 would kill me if I put my foot down when I first got it. Turns out it's still a road car!
Yeah and you guys have narrow streets, uncrowned country lanes, are taxed heavily per liter engine size, and pay 129.53p per litre of petrol($8.17 per US gallon). If I lived in the UK I'd take the bus. Not the best country for car guys.

I'm a British citizen but could never handle living in a country where the state taxes the number of electrical outlets in your house. English taxation is absurd. Surprised they don't tax me twice like Uncle Sam would.
__________________
Erryboddy got a plan till they get punched in the mouf - Mike Tyson

Last edited by hitbyastick; 04-02-2014 at 07:53 PM.
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #17
David McMahon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Suffolk, UK
Posts: 1,451
My Ride: '99 E38 740iL
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
Yeah and you guys have narrow streets, uncrowned country lanes, are taxed heavily per liter engine size, and pay 129.53p per litre of petrol. If I lived in the UK I'd take the bus. Not the best country for car guys.

I'm a British citizen but could never handle living in a country where the state taxes the number of electrical outlets in your house. English taxation is absurd.
It's not ideal, if I lived in London I'd spend all my time on the Tube and at most have a 3-cylinder box.

I ignore petrol prices, I'm blissfully ignorant and still fill my 206 GTi and E46 with Shell V-Power.

I've not heard about outlet-tax, will investigate.

IIRC 2006+ cars are heavily taxed 400/yr for a Ranger! IIRC can be 1,000 a year on the new S65 for example.

I am glad of MOT's (smog/safety) though. Does keep the worst cars off the road, mostly.
__________________
David McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #18
VishTheFish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winterpeg,Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 846
My Ride: Ex M54B30 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederickRoutt View Post
Hey Guys,

I have a 2001 325i and I am trying to get more power out of the car.
...
...
...
first of all DONT tell me to go out and buy a 330
...
...
...
(THIS IS MY MONEY, MY CAR. PLEASE DONT TELL ME IM WASTING MY MONEY)
Your thought process is flawed. Sounds to me like you purchased your 325 because:

a) It was all you could afford
or
b) What was available at the time

Sell and buy 330 if you want power.
__________________
VishTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #19
orb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 2,809
My Ride: 325Ci
Pre-facelift sedan....eww. Sell and buy an M3 or 330.



Seriously though, if you want to regain lost performance, do the following: clean TB, ICV, DISA (repair or replace if needed), replace intake boots, replace throttle body gasket, air filter, and finally replace your VANOS seals. Seriously, doing all of this will make a noticeable difference.
__________________
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #20
mjpgolf1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cleveland Oh
Posts: 2,490
My Ride: 00 328i,05 745,03 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
Hey now I chose this little 325 over a 330 that drove like a beast. Only because the interior and exterior was in much better shape. They were the same price. Cheap.

I'm very solidly in a minority of people who prefer base level trim, for myriad reasons. One, less complicated. Two, less costly. Three, more volume production makes parts easier to find and cheaper. Although I'm splitting hairs with the E46 on that. All E46s are volume cars and therefore a dime a dozen.

325s get treated like little black red-headed step sheep in the comments here but they are an excellent driving experience nonetheless, and they are real BMWs. I might think that because I drive within the law and within my limits. It's a commuter. Something to take my dog to the vet and hit the supermarket in on the way back. It's not a weekend toy and it certainly isn't a lifestyle for me. Cars are boring after you have ridden motorcycles your whole life.

At the end of the day the E46 is not a race car, ZHP or 323. People try to turn them into race cars and they succeed but only at great cost. I like them the way they were delivered, and I enjoy fewer headaches and more resty nights. Can't type the word re****l because the **** gets replaced with asterisks due to the less-than-robust interpolation software utilized by this website. But I digress.

I would say that you are definitely in the minority. Of course my comment doesn't apply to everyone. There are lots of people here that bought their small motor E46 new and paid big money for it. However you have to admit that for the most part my comment holds true with most of the newbie bmw buyers that have a budget of $5k and buy the small motor simply because it was available, within their budget, and they didn't have the patience to just save their money and buy the car that they would really like to have. Then we have to answer ridiculous threads like this over and over and over again.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
325i, engine, fun, power, sedan

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.