E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #21
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
^It's the new oil thread

Last edited by hitbyastick; 04-02-2014 at 08:47 PM.
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #22
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i,05 745,03 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
^It's the new oil thread

Oh dear lord. Don't even mention the "O" word. Lol.

These threads are getting old though. Every week there's at least a couple of them and it's the same story over and over. OP wants more power, then OP gets pissed when people tell him that it's just not that easy. Obviously this OP has read thru previous threads like this otherwise he wouldn't have been so defensive in his original post telling us that he didn't want to hear the typical answers. Well OP unfortunately the "typical answers" are the truth and there have been no major break thru's in the last week that will make a 325 fast.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-02-2014, 09:06 PM   #23
DEADF15H

My Ride: 2001 325i Auto
I can relate to the OP, When I bought my 325 I didn't have a clue as to what I was getting. It looked Decent, and
drove fantastic compared to my Toyota Highlander. It was my first BMW.
Went through the beast mechanically with a fine tooth comb, thanks to this site's posters.
I would like more HP, but developed an illogical attachment to this car, if I could get a significant increase in HP I would, just because I know the rest of the car is close to perfect.
Alas, a 330 or M is the logical solution.
But logic and fanatic are diametrically opposed by definition.
There will be a 330 or M Vert in my near future, but first I have to get over my love affair with my base model

DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #24
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I think it's ridiculous that people in this thread think a 325 is "slow" while a 330 is "fast".

OP should change the diff ratio and he will beat stock 330s.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #25
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: E60M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
I think it's ridiculous that people in this thread think a 325 is "slow" while a 330 is "fast".

I don't think anyone claimed that a 330 is fast.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #26
FrederickRoutt

My Ride: 2001 E46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
OP you say a few things that just don't jive here. First off it looks like you just recently bought your car, so I would ask if money is not an issue then why didn't you at least buy a 330? That would've gotten you where you are wanting to be power wise. The money you will spend trying to make your 325 produce 200 hp would be better spent on another car. The best way to do this is to take the 325 and list it for sale, then add the $3k to $5k that you will spend on your 325 trying to get a few more ponies out of it on top of the money you get for your car and buy a 330. This will also be smarter in the long run as a stock 330 will always be worth more than a cut up 325. Any cash you spend on your current car to get more power is just a complete waste of money and you will never get it back. Either drive the car you have and be happy or make the responsible decision to just sell yours and buy the right car to begin with.

I know you said this isn't what you want to hear but its the truth. You came here asking the opinion of experienced BMW owners of what you should do and I'm sorry but there is no other smart way to do what you want to do. I still question how money isn't an issue but you bought a 325. I'm sure you can understand why I say that. Usually people buy the smaller engine cars because they don't have the cash to buy the bigger engine car, so instead of just being patient, saving their money, and waiting until they find the car they really want, they instead break open the piggy bank and buy whatever car they find that they can afford. I'm not saying this is what you did but this is usually the case. I've seen it happen too many times.

I bought my 325 because at the dealer it was the best bang for my buck. Looking at all the BMWs they had it was in the best shape exterior and interior and It only had 71000 miles on a 13 year old car. I bought it because every single 330 I looked at had more than 130000 miles and even almost all 325s had around that many miles. I know what I was buying I know what I wanted.

FrederickRoutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #27
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrederickRoutt View Post
I bought my 325 because at the dealer it was the best bang for my buck. Looking at all the BMWs they had it was in the best shape exterior and interior and It only had 71000 miles on a 13 year old car. I bought it because every single 330 I looked at had more than 130000 miles and even almost all 325s had around that many miles. I know what I was buying I know what I wanted.

130k isn't all that much for these cars.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #28
Knight

My Ride: '05 330Ci | '01 325i
Quote:
I understand where you're coming from. While you really "should have bought a 330" the truth of the matter is that this statement was more applicable when these cars were a lot newer and variance in condition wasn't as great a factor.

As mentioned earlier, intake, software, headers and exhaust. Electric fan conversion if you have an AT. These will sharpen up the car a bit and really open up the sound of the M54.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #29
phildobaggins

My Ride: 2001 325xi Wagon
Cars dont need high performance. Commuting or spirited driving doesnt require much. If you want something high performance go spend 3500 on a used sport bike. It will make any/every bmw seem like a brick.
phildobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #30
FrederickRoutt

My Ride: 2001 E46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
130k isn't all that much for these cars.
I understand but I have had nothing but bad experience with cars and was looking for something under 100000 miles and I got it for less than the price of one with 130000 miles. And if I can get a car with almost half as many miles for less than the price and a possibility of getting more life out of the car I'll take that opporotunity.

FrederickRoutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:58 AM   #31
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
I understand but I have had nothing but bad experience with cars and was looking for something under 100000 miles and I got it for less than the price of one with 130000 miles. And if I can get a car with almost half as many miles for less than the price and a possibility of getting more life out of the car I'll take that opporotunity.

As long as you're happy with what you've got. It sounds like you understood what your requirements for a car were when you purchased, and you put fewer miles/longer potential life over more power.

Keep that in mind, going forward. Your quest for 200-230 HP out of an N/A 325 is unrealistic.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #32
Bino5150

My Ride: 99 323i
I'd go as far as to say it's do-able, but for what you say you use the car for, it's not worth the time/effort/money/headache. What you are asking requires cracking open the engine; port and polish, bore & stroke, custom cams, raised compression, etc... on top of all of the bolt-ons. And being that the OP is in Cali, correct? You can throw emissions and visual inspections out the window right off the rip, because one of the best bang-for-your-buck mods you can do would be those $100 ebay headers that they will hang you for if they catch you running.

Last edited by Bino5150; 04-03-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Bino5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #33
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:

^this. it's not going to change your HP numbers but will make your 325 noticeably quicker.

Software, intake, exhaust and underdrive accessory pullies will all achieve more power while still remaining very drivable.

you can do headers and cams but then the dynamic of the car starts to change.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #34
Bino5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
^this. it's not going to change your HP numbers but will make your 325 noticeably quicker.
Yes, but might have him cruising at 5k on the highway too...
Old 04-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #35
NOVAbimmer

Quote:

he's got a 325, didn't specify transmission. If he's got an auto, he's already got a 3.46. If it's a manual, he's got a 3.15, and a 3.46 isn't going to make that big a difference.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #36
TerraPhantm

My Ride: M3 & ZHP
Quote:

It's more like a 325 is slow and a 330 is tolerable.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #37
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
he's got a 325, didn't specify transmission. If he's got an auto, he's already got a 3.46. If it's a manual, he's got a 3.15, and a 3.46 isn't going to make that big a difference.
3.15 to 3.46 is a HUGE difference.

325 + 3.46 LSD beats a 330 at autocross.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #38
TheRarp

My Ride: 02 - 325Ci
OP, either you love your 325 "as is" or you don't.

Don't waste your money on expensive hardware with the only purpose to brag about it and gain maybe 10hp max. Just add a few thing here and there.. no more than $400 - for the mental effect a shark injector may help for a couple $$$ bucks.

Speeding tickets are expensive, speeding is dangerous not only for you but for others as well.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:17 AM   #39
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bino5150 View Post
Yes, but might have him cruising at 5k on the highway too...
really? if he were to install a 3.46 diff he would have to be going over 105mph in fifth to begin to start to hit 5000rpm. i don't think this is going to be a problem. it will change his rpm by 9.8%.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #40
Bino5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
really? if he were to install a 3.46 diff he would have to be going over 105mph in fifth to begin to start to hit 5000rpm. i don't think this is going to be a problem. it will change his rpm by 9.8%.
Point I was trying to make is, in order to get that real kick in the ass from the rear end, you're gonna raise the RPM's. My comment wasn't meant to be literal, as there was no math behind it. Although I do have some experience with changing out the differentials, and trust me, the results are not always pleasant on the freeway. Of course I'm new to the E46 platform, so I'm sure you guys have all that all figured out already. Carry on, gentlemen.

Tags
325i, engine, fun, power, sedan