Finally got an e46 wagon! - Page 3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #41
PeteyEsco

My Ride: '02 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead55 View Post
Get the lower pressure cap to help avoid the plastic surge tank from exploding.
How's this
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...le-e46expankit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldE View Post
Great car and amazing color combos!
But you'll never get an S54 in it ;D
Hey, a boy can dream right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb View Post
smart move. i picked up an E39 a few years ago. I got the car on Monday and made an appointment on Tuesday for a cooling system overhaul on Friday. The ET crapped out on Thursday night
Ouch! I bought this car at a dealer that was 4 hours away... imagine my freight driving home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratliff View Post
Probably for the best. I also replaced my oil filter housing gasket when I overhauled my cooling system. I was halfway there and it was leaking so why not. I did both of these the first month I bought my car for the same reason as you... Ticking time bomb IMO.

Enjoy!
I just looked up the oil filter housing part, crap that's expensive! 300+. I'm sure that can wait, what do you think?
PeteyEsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #42
JasonLI25t

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyEsco View Post
How's this

I just looked up the oil filter housing part, crap that's expensive! 300+. I'm sure that can wait, what do you think?
to me that is a classic buy-used part. there should be many examples in good condition available and they are generally around $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-BMW-325...f465aa&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-323i...64f4fa&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M54-M52T...15c372&vxp=mtr

edit* it appears you may only need the gasket, which is quite cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-BMW-E34-...eb57e5&vxp=mtr

Last edited by JasonLI25t; 04-21-2014 at 03:33 PM.
JasonLI25t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #43
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
How's this

Hey, a boy can dream right?

Ouch! I bought this car at a dealer that was 4 hours away... imagine my freight driving home..

Gasket is like 8 bucks. Don't need the housing. Just a LOT of patience

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Swapped M3 Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Locked/Loaded/Loud

DonaldE
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #44
erickonphoenix

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintluk2 View Post
Could you tell us of the benefits you've experienced so far of the wagon's utility ? Like have you gone fishing yet ? (before/after)
Benifits I've experienced

1. not having to put my daughter in the backseat with the luggage which she had to do with the GTO. Trunk would only hold mine and my GFs luggage so her bag sat in the back seat next to her.

2. Also, I drive fast than most traffic. The wagon seems to stay off the cops radar much better than the GTO.

3. I got about 10% off my auto insurance just because it was a wagon.

4. This is kind of specific to my state, but there is "zero" love for wagons in Texas so although it was tough finding one local, I was easily able to negotiate it down for 3k less than comparable examples in Chicago, California and Pennsylvania. I could tell the salesman couldn't wait to get rid of it.
erickonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #45
motorhead55

My Ride: 01 325it 5spd sport
I meant the lower pressure, pressure cap.
I have also noticed the "Lack of Radar signal" with my wagon also. We have a 2 mile down grade that I regularly travel and it has a posted speed with a radar YOUR speed under it. I can only rarely get it to read on my wagon... Go figure!

Last edited by motorhead55; 04-21-2014 at 04:44 PM.
motorhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #46
DonaldE

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
Benifits I've experienced

1. not having to put my daughter in the backseat with the luggage which she had to do with the GTO. Trunk would only hold mine and my GFs luggage so her bag sat in the back seat next to her.

2. Also, I drive fast than most traffic. The wagon seems to stay off the cops radar much better than the GTO.

3. I got about 10% off my auto insurance just because it was a wagon.

4. This is kind of specific to my state, but there is "zero" love for wagons in Texas so although it was tough finding one local, I was easily able to negotiate it down for 3k less than comparable examples in Chicago, California and Pennsylvania. I could tell the salesman couldn't wait to get rid of it.
You found an xi wagon in Texas? Crazy. I'm also in Texas and would kill for a wagon.

Jet Black 2002 BMW 330i
Swapped M3 Interior
OEM Style 71s
Dropped on Koni/Vogtland
Locked/Loaded/Loud

DonaldE
DonaldE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #47
erickonphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldE View Post
You found an xi wagon in Texas? Crazy. I'm also in Texas and would kill for a wagon.
Ha! yes but it is just a 2wd, and I also had to settle on an automatic.

Over the year I was shopping I only found two 5 speeds local but both were in very poor condition. I find the auto is mostly annoying because it disqualifies my car from supercharging. Which it really needs. These cars (imo) should be around 230 to 270hp to take full advantage of the steering and suspension.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #48
PeteyEsco

My Ride: '02 325xiT
The wagon hunt was tough. I'm in Greenville, SC and had to travel to Raleigh, NC for mine.

There is also a "hate" for wagons in my area. Only a handful go nuts for them. Even my kids are like "ill dad, why did you get a station wagon?!"

I told them next time they use the word "station" in front of "wagon", they can forget about eating.

I've yet to see another wagon in Japan Rot/Electric Red. Any ideas for wheels? At first I wanted black bbs wheels, but I kind of my stock BMW style 73 wheels.
PeteyEsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #49
Marshmallow

My Ride: Ehhh...
Quote:
The wagon hunt was tough. I'm in Greenville, SC and had to travel to Raleigh, NC for mine.

There is also a "hate" for wagons in my area. Only a handful go nuts for them. Even my kids are like "ill dad, why did you get a station wagon?!"

I told them next time they use the word "station" in front of "wagon", they can forget about eating.

I've yet to see another wagon in Japan Rot/Electric Red. Any ideas for wheels? At first I wanted black bbs wheels, but I kind of my stock BMW style 73 wheels.
Yeah I know the hate. Some people love them though. And it's a sport wagon or a touring I tell them!

For wheels, visit the showroom to get some ideas.
Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #50
bratliff

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
No no. Just the gasket. I think it was like $5 from bmaparts. It's extra work, but, a lot easier with the radiator, intake, etc out of the way.
'76 280z
bratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #51
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
Quote:
Ha! yes but it is just a 2wd, and I also had to settle on an automatic.
You didn't settle for, you upgraded to.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #52
Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickbuilder View Post
You didn't settle for, you upgraded to.
I hope you mean the RWD because the auto is the worst thing you can ever have.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #53
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
because the auto is the worst thing you can ever have.
+1
Only by driving an e46 hooked up to a manual can you really enjoy this car to the max. I feel it every time I get into mine, and look back to over ten years ago when I made the decision. I think what a large mistake an auto would have been for me.

Kinda took a lot of courage to write a $40K check for a car that I thought might be hard to sell with a manual.

MMG is the best!

Last edited by Stinger9; 04-21-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:04 PM   #54
erickonphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
+1
Only by driving an e46 hooked up to a manual can you really enjoy this car to the max. I feel it every time I get into mine, and look back to over ten years ago when I made the decision. I think what a large mistake an auto would have been for me.

Kinda took a lot of courage to write a $40K check for a car that I thought might be hard to sell with a manual.

MMG is the best!
Agreed.. the auto is "serviceable" but the weakest part of the car. It really makes me ponder a ATM to MT swap but then that would take money out of my Porsche fund. Compromises are a bitch
Old 04-21-2014, 10:45 PM   #55
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
I was just looking at the curb weight for these cars and the automatic adds 75lbs to the car. As if all the parasitic loss from the torque converter wasn't bad enough, you're lugging around 75 extra lbs of fat. Holy chit.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:52 PM   #56
armykyle1

My Ride: 1999 328i
I've always loved wagons. Very nice car!
armykyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #57
Marshmallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
I was just looking at the curb weight for these cars and the automatic adds 75lbs to the car. As if all the parasitic loss from the torque converter wasn't bad enough, you're lugging around 75 extra lbs of fat. Holy chit.
Also, over the standard RWD sedan, the AWD adds about 200 lbs and the wagon part add about another 200. So an automatic one is 500 lbs heavier than a 325i!
Old 04-21-2014, 10:58 PM   #58
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Manual 3472lbs

Auto 3549lbs
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:02 PM   #59
erickonphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Also, over the standard RWD sedan, the AWD adds about 200 lbs and the wagon part add about another 200. So an automatic one is 500 lbs heavier than a 325i!
AWD is 200lb heavier?? That seems like way too much. Are you sure? I don't have a AWD but 200lbs is a lot of metal. I could see 75~100 tops. The sections don't seem big enough to account for a fraction of that weight plus fluid. I could be wrong but that seems really high.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #60
Marshmallow

Quote:
AWD is 200lb heavier?? That seems like way too much. Are you sure? I don't have a AWD but 200lbs is a lot of metal. I could see 75~100 tops. The sections don't seem big enough to account for a fraction of that weight plus fluid. I could be wrong but that seems really high.
Apparently it adds 220 lbs. It's definitely a lot.

Tags
325xi, e46, japanrot, touring, wagon