Custom Fabricated Muffler Delete w/ Tips. - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 12:02 AM   #1
zachpeakee

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Cool Custom Fabricated Muffler Delete w/ Tips.

First off, I am new to the forum, and as of 1 week and 3 days ago, the proud owner of a 2002 BMW 325i . I got the car completely stock, but quickly took into account that it wasnt quite like my other cars in the past. (slammed/stanced 2006 altima, turbo kit, blah blah blah.. ) . Anyways, today, I got some parts to weld up a muffler delete . I didnt want to pay a shop, since I am only 19 years old, and $100-$200 isnt just "pocket change" to me. Especially when I can do it myself. But, I am very proud of my results..( Excuse me if I am a "noob" . Give me a little bit of slack . )

^^^ -- There it sits, the day after I got it. Please excuse the pollen and dirt.

^^^ -- Exhaust tips, on some spare pipes I had laying around from previous builds. (just to see fitment of the tips).

^^^ -- anddd finally , fabricated some exhaust tubes/and tips to go in place of the stock muffler,.

-I got about 10 feet of 2.5" Stainless Steel tubing. The exhaust tips are just some little bolt on tips, that you can find anywhere. (autozone, walmart, advance auto, etc..) I decided to cut, and weld them instead, for proper fitment, and to give that extra "strength" .

-I layed them out under the car, and did all of my measurements accordingly. Added about an extra inch to the ends of the piping, to allow for a slight angle cut, so that the exhaust pipes will follow roughly the same trail that the stock ones did. ( or you can just rent/purchase a pipe bending machine) .

-Grinded all welding areas, especially when using galvanized tubing like I did. (wouldnt want to get sick from welding that stuff. Its pretty crucial. )

- Tack welded everything up , just to make sure it all fits, and is nice and snug, right about where the stock exhaust was.

- I also cut the exhaust hangers from the stock muffler, and fabricated them, so that I could use them on this exhaust set up.

-Weld it all up, and stare at the masterpeice.

Any constructive feedback is welcome.

More pictures to come soon of the finished product, and the exhaust hangers.
zachpeakee is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:49 AM   #2
-lynel-

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
ill be doing this shortly, granted a have a little more of a budget to play with I enjoy working on and fabricating things for my cars.

straightpipe to get fitment, then flange in a varex midmuffler. If I can score a cheap m3 style bumper for my sedan (im sure ebay can help)ill make a twin pipe and make single exit pipes on each side.

ive got the 2 varex mufflers I need already but no time (hence why I have the money) as I work non-stop so I can afford to play around

Throw up the extra pics when its all done. Don't forge to give it a coating of some sort, even just heatproof engine enamel to tidy up the undercarriage a bit
-lynel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
zachpeakee

Cool

Thanks. I painted it on the welds/grinds with some rust preventing flat grey paint. Got it sitting nicely under the car. I had to weld some bracing in there, to add some support to the pipes.. Also, you can kind of see the exhaust hanger I had to fix up, hahaha. Just a peice of flat metal, welded where the stock muffler wouldve been connected, ran across my exhaust, and welded to the tops.

^^
There's how it sits, from an under-the-car perspective. Not too bad considering that it is my first actual exhaust fabrication job.

^^
With everything welded into place. You can see my exhaust hanger if you look right up next to the exhaust, where the heat shielding is. ( sorry, it kind of blends in with the picture )

^^
ANDDDD finished product. I think it turned out exceptionally good looking. A lot better than I expected for it to turn out. Let me know what you think!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
jolaine

My Ride: E46 330 cabrio
Sound-video? Startup/idle and then some throttle/revving??
jolaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #5
Cavi Mike
Banned User

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Stainless steel doesn't need paint.
Cavi Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
zachpeakee

I painted it because I had to grind the areas that I welded. I wasnt sure if I needed to, but I just did it to be on the safe side. Ill post a start up video soon, as well as cold idling, and revs.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #7
Cavi Mike
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
Lemme guess - you mig welded it with steel wire.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
zachpeakee

well, actually, I TIG welded the first two passes, then I MIG welded. The pipe was so thin, that when I was trying to MIG weld all of it, It just kept burning straight through. So, I TIG welded, then MIG cover pass, just for the extra strength. But, I actually used copper wire. I don't really know which metals will rust and which ones wont, but since I did grind it first, I figured that it wouldnt be a bad idea to paint over it.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
Cavi Mike
Banned User

"Copper" eh? So I take it this is the first time you've ever seen a welder? Steel wire is coated with copper to prevent it from rusting.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #10
zachpeakee

actually, no. 100% copper electrode, is what I tig welded with. Steel wire IS coated with copper, to prevent rusting, but what happens when you melt them at high temperatures? they mix together. No longer leaving that "rust-proof" coating. Hence, why I felt the need to paint the welds.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
zachpeakee

I used copper , on the TIG, because of the low melting point. Therefore, a MUCH cooler weld, that wouldnt burn through the exhaust piping as easily as the copper coated steel wire. I may be young, but im not stupid. I kindly take your previous statements, as constructive criticism. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #12
BeMyWhip

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
I love it when "know it alls" get put in their place.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #13
zachpeakee

I just felt like I was being criticized over something that I was just making sure of. Either way, I painted it. To prevent rust. Better safe, than to have a rusty exhaust fall off in 2 years.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:37 AM   #14
Cavi Mike
Banned User

So instead of using proper stainless rod to begin with - you used copper? That's an even bigger wtf. And so much for its "low melting point" when you're burning straight through them both anyways...
Old 04-08-2014, 12:49 AM   #15
KendrickC

My Ride: '03 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMyWhip View Post
I love it when "know it alls" get put in their place.
yup.

You did good, OP. As you said better safe than sorry.

'03 325 Estoril Blue with some love from:
Turner, ECS, Remus, BMW Performance, G.A.S.,
Beisan, Umnitza, TRS, Radium, and more!
KendrickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:53 AM   #16
-lynel-

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
zachpeakee don't take it too heart; you'll read thread after thread on this forum where its mostly self righteous a-holes trying to ruin everyone's Chee. Some people cant appreciate some thine for the effort or the time; it may not be the case here but nigh on every time someone does something themselves that aren't affiliated with a shop they are shot down no end because "bimmer owners pay to build their cars" and from the few I've met here in Oz its most definitely the case that not catalogue building your ride is frowned upon.

On that note, fitment looks good. I think Cavi Mike didn't read that you used Gal pipe, which isn't the best sure but can be used none the less. You don't "need" to coat the whole pipe if you don't want but for a nicer finished product a 10dollar can of engine enamel wouldn't hurt.
-lynel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:54 AM   #17
zachpeakee

Yeah, Im actually going to get a can of the engine enamel today. Just to tidy things up. And to Cavi Mike.. Why didnt I just use stainless rod to begin with? Because I tried MIG welding to begin with. Burnt through. Incase you dont know much about TIG welding, You can weld much thinner things, with much more precision. Hence, why they TIG weld headers, and most aftermarket exhausts. Second of all, why didnt I just use stainless steel rod? Because, Im 19 years old. Welding supplies arent cheap. I use what I have, If I can make it work . Just so happens, I made it work. Is there anything else you would like to tell me I did wrong?
Old 04-08-2014, 10:45 AM   #18
jolaine

My Ride: E46 330 cabrio
How about that sound video??
jolaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #19
zachpeakee

Im getting to that in about an hour. How exactly do I upload a video, and past it onto here? Just put it on youtube, and post the link ? (:
Old 04-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #20
autoAER

My Ride: 2005 325i 5MT
Came in this thread expecting to be disappointed with some hack shop **** ( like the BMW's I see around here with the pipes just hanging off on the freeway), but I'm actually impressed. Looks like solid work, and the bigger tips look like sex!

In for video of sound

Tags
delete, exhaust, muffler, welded