Speed Dependent Vibration/Hum - SOLVED! - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #21
Gunsnbacon

My Ride: 2001 330ci
That's how those dealers get you, when I bought mine I made them lift it up so I could inspect the sub frame, check the diff and drive axles for play, check tire tread, i even pulled off the wheels to check the rotors and pads fully. I asked to see the service records and I talked them down an extra $500 on top of what I talked them down for the other issues because neither the vanos nor the cooling system was touched for 130k miles.

Last edited by Gunsnbacon; 04-11-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Gunsnbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #22
vandentr

My Ride: 2004 325xi Auto
Oh how I wish it was only my tires! I would GLADLY pay to refresh the rubber if it would make my vibration go away, but that's not the source.

At any rate, I got side-tracked into a VANOS/CCV overhaul and will hopefully get around to my hum diagnosis within the next week. My brother-in-law is an engineer at Ford and said it sounds like one of the 3 bearings on one of the 2 differentials.

I'm thinking of towing it on a U-Haul dolly to isolate whether it's local to the front or rear of the car. Just knowing that would help a ton!
vandentr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #23
Benny Minn

My Ride: 2004 325xiT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandentr View Post
I have a vibration/hum that is always present, but when I hit 40mph the harmonic is so loud that it's almost a deafening roar! It's low enough in frequency to be impossible to locate from inside the car. So I can't tell if it's coming from the front, middle, or back, and the kicker is that it's ONLY dependent on speed. It doesn't matter if I'm in neutral and coasting, or under load or accelerating or decelerating or turning.

I'd think if it were a torque converter, axle, wheel bearing, or drive shaft related there would be a tonal difference in the sound when under varying loads, or turning, etc. There is none of that, it's 100% steady depending on speed.

To begin the diagnosis process, this past weekend I pulled the exhaust and heat shield and inspected the drive shafts, GUIBO, and CSB, but all look good and feel tight and solid.

The only noticeable issue from this inspection is about 2-3mm of lateral/axial movement (not rotational lash) on the front output shaft of the Transfer Case.

Could this be the culprit?
I believe I have the same thing. The only difference is that the noise I'm hearing is more pronounced when coasting or maintaining speed, not as much when accelerating. It also seems less pronounced on cold days (freezing or below). And I too would like to know what the crap this rumble is. It also sounds to me like it's coming from the back, but as you say, it's hard to tell. I can tell you it's not related to the rear driveshaft because I've replaced the whole thing already. New tires, wheels, and fluids haven't made a difference. I was thinking rear differential, but then you bring up a good point about tonality changing relative to speed with geared components, which doesn't happen in this case. This makes me wonder if worn subframe bushings could be allowing metal subframe on metal body contact, which would transfer extra acoustic vibrations from the subframe to the body.

There's a kit you can rent for diagnosing sounds like these. I know of one brand called Chassis Ear, but there may be others. Rental Link I don't know how well these pickup low-frequency sounds, but it seems a lot more practical than sticking your head or a tube under the car while the wheels are spinning. Besides, you may need resistance from the road in order to induce the noise.

Last edited by Benny Minn; 05-16-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Benny Minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #24
vandentr

I honestly haven't had a chance to diagnose the problem yet. My wife's car blew a head gasket when it overheated due to a disintegrated water pump impeller, so that's been absorbing a good portion of my time.

It's always some dang thing...

For my XI, it's definitely not a sub-frame issue, it's 100% in the drive train. As I said previously, my brother-in-law seems convinced that it's a bearing issue somewhere, but I don't know, ugh. Just thinking about it is aggravating!

Sooner or later I'll get around to it, 'cause it's maddening to know that something's not right!

Last edited by vandentr; 05-16-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #25
vandentr

Update:

Finally brought it to a local shop for diagnosis only. Turns out it's the rear-most U-joint on the driveshaft, which took out the CSB as well.

Prices:
1) $1,300 for a new one installed.
2) $765 for a refurbished one installed.
3) $465 for me to buy one including a new GUIBO!

Needless to say I went with option #3, it's due to arrive this coming Monday so I'll post a follow-up when I'm done.

Incidentally, this is who I ordered the shaft from:
http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/

-TVB

Last edited by vandentr; 08-04-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:09 AM   #26
Benny Minn

My Ride: 2004 325xiT 5-speed
Quote:
Update:

Finally brought it to a local shop for diagnosis only. Turns out it's the rear-most U-joint on the driveshaft, which took out the CSB as well.

Prices:
1) $1,300 for a new one installed.
2) $765 for a refurbished one installed.
3) $465 for me to buy one including a new GUIBO!

Needless to say I went with option #3, it's due to arrive this coming Monday so I'll post a follow-up with some pics of the process when I'm done.

Incidentally, this is who I ordered the shaft from:

-TVB
That's what I did too, same vendor as well, but I still get weird noises as described. Make sure they're extra diligent about making sure everything is aligned and that all parts of the differential spin properly. I could see how the input flange bearing might get out of whack by a bad U-joint.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:16 PM   #27
Je357

My Ride: 325xi
Good luck. Hope all goes well. Please post pics if possible

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Je357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:04 PM   #28
Boolala

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Subscribed--same issues.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:07 PM   #29
vandentr

The local shop was right, the U-Joint on the rear drive shaft closest to the differential was seized on one of the planes, causing a wobble that translated into a hum and some crazy harmonics at various speeds. FYI, there's NO WAY to determine this with the shaft attached, it simply has to be removed and inspected off of the car.

Since these driveshaft's have staked joints which are not individually replaceable, I was forced to order a complete driveshaft, which I replaced with a refurbished one. Now it drives as smooth as silk with zero hum or other vibrations!

In case you're wondering, I got the refurbished unit here:

By the way, I replaced those stupid torx head shaft-to-rear differential bolts with allen head cap bolts (M10x1.5x20mm 12.9 grade) that you should be able to find at any decent hardware store.

I can't tell you how glad I am to have this project behind me, the difference in ride quality and stress level is amazing!

Last edited by vandentr; 08-04-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:15 PM   #30
Je357

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Well, I finally took it to local shop and had it diagnosed - it turns out the U-Joint on the rear drive shaft closest to the differential was seized on one of the planes, causing a wobble that translated into a hum and some crazy harmonics at various speeds. FYI, there's NO WAY to determine this with the shaft attached, it simply has to be removed.

Since these driveshaft's have staked joints which are not individually replaceable, I was forced to order a complete driveshaft, which I replaced with a refurbished one. Now it drives as smooth as silk now with zero hum or other vibrations!

Glad to hear u got it fixed.
Je357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:35 PM   #31
latitude39

My Ride: 2002 325xi (163k)
Thanks for following through and sharing your solution. My xi had a stiff, rear u-joint that I discovered when doing the CSB (140k miles). My problem had been a rumble when passing through 20-30 mph under moderate acceleration. Lucky for me that I stumbled onto the solution before it got too bad.

How many miles were on your xi when this happened?

Quote:
The local shop was right, the U-Joint on the rear drive shaft closest to the differential was seized on one of the planes, causing a wobble that translated into a hum and some crazy harmonics at various speeds. FYI, there's NO WAY to determine this with the shaft attached, it simply has to be removed and inspected off of the car.

Since these driveshaft's have staked joints which are not individually replaceable, I was forced to order a complete driveshaft, which I replaced with a refurbished one. Now it drives as smooth as silk with zero hum or other vibrations!

By the way, I replaced those stupid torx head shaft-to-rear differential bolts with allen head cap bolts (M10x1.5x20mm 12.9 grade) that you should be able to find at any decent hardware store.

I can't tell you how glad I am to have this project behind me, the difference in ride quality and stress level is amazing!
latitude39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, hum, speed, transfer case, vibration