Opinions Wanted - Interior Two-Tone - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #1
KieranG

My Ride: 2000 323i
Opinions Wanted - Interior Two-Tone

Hey guys,

I came across these two tone seat covers on BavAuto while browsing one day. I have no intention of buying them, but I am gradually two toning my interior to a combination of tan and black, and was wondering what everyone thinks about possibly dying the edges of my tan seats to look like this picture? I have read some dye project threads, and haven't seen this. Before someone says just go all black, I have already considered this and decided not to. The alternative is replacing them with OEM black seats from a junkyard or another member selling theirs. I am in no way committing to this, but maybe this is a cheaper way to refresh my seats...? If it comes out bad, I can save the dye for the future or resell it and just buy the replacement seats. Just wanted to get some other opinions, as I am considering it myself. Also consider that my entire center console is currently black, and I already have black floor mats. I am planning on combining my door panels to have a black frame with a tan center as well. Any and all input is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Here is the picture I saw:

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
Yassrab

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325xi
Its not too bad, Id go with my interior being one colour throughout though
Old 04-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
KieranG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yassrab View Post
Its not too bad, Id go with my interior being one colour throughout though
I would've stayed with all tan, but the car has 14 years of wear on it and the interior shows it in some spots, so I figured since I wanted to replace some things to refresh it, why not change it up a little to make it my own. But that's just my personal taste. Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 04-09-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
mattyboi92

My Ride: 6 speed '03 330ci
Send a message via AIM to mattyboi92
I have an all tan interior right now and have been toying with the idea of adding black floor mats, and black front and rear seats. But i dont know how it would look! I feel like the doors need some black too but cant decied what parts. If you go with the pic you posted, i think the doors need some black as well.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
mattyboi92

My Ride: 6 speed '03 330ci
Send a message via AIM to mattyboi92
I have an all tan interior right now and have been toying with the idea of adding black floor mats, and black front and rear seats. But i dont know how it would look! I feel like the doors need some black too but cant decied what parts. If you go with the pic you posted, i think the doors need some black as well.

Do you mind posting some pics of your interior?
Old 04-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
KieranG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyboi92 View Post
If you go with the pic you posted, i think the doors need some black as well.

Do you mind posting some pics of your interior?
As far as the doors go, I mentioned in the original post that I plan on modifying my doors so that the "frame" or panel that goes around most of the door becomes black, while the center (airbag panel, armrest/handle, and surrounding piece) will stay tan. This is basically splicing two different door panels together. The reason I plan on doing this is because when the door is closed, the frame part of the door meets the top of the dashboard, which is already black (this will give it a more fluid look in my opinion).

As far as my current interior, I only have pictures of my all tan stock interior, which is how it was when I bought it. I was planning on taking a couple quick shots tomorrow with my camera though, so I can probably get them up tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for your interest!
Old 04-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
monkawekrue

My Ride: 13 X3 AW/04 M3 AW
i think it looks pretty good OP. def need to make sure the door panels have that black you are talking about to offset all the tan that will still be in the car. but overall i say go for it. worst case scenario, you dont like it and gotta buy new seats.
monkawekrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
dominicgrillo6

My Ride: E46 Sedan
I would get black seats and either black out the whole interior or two tone the rest of the interior. But I think all black seat would be more clean Also make sure you dye correctly if you do dye something. Take your time. Do it right. I had some bad experience with trying to two tone my interior. Good luck! Make sure you update this if you do it
For Sale
245/35/19 Tires - 255/35/18 Tires - Yamaha V Star 650
dominicgrillo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
KieranG

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkawekrue View Post
i think it looks pretty good OP. def need to make sure the door panels have that black you are talking about to offset all the tan that will still be in the car. but overall i say go for it. worst case scenario, you dont like it and gotta buy new seats.
Exactly what I've been thinking. Even if the dye doesn't work out, black seats will still add to the two tone effect. Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 04-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #10
KieranG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torok.Designs View Post
I would get black seats and either black out the whole interior or two tone the rest of the interior. But I think all black seat would be more clean Also make sure you dye correctly if you do dye something. Take your time. Do it right. I had some bad experience with trying to two tone my interior. Good luck! Make sure you update this if you do it
I had been considering black seats, but I like the idea of this because it will give a similar effect for cheaper while being a little different. I am planning on looking into some more dye project DIY threads before making my final decision so that I have a better chance of doing it right the first time. I will definitely keep this thread updated, thanks for the input!
Old 04-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #11
KieranG

Update - Current Interior Pictures

So here are some quick pictures of my current interior taken this afternoon as requested. Pretty dirty right now, and not the ideal lighting, but I'm sure everyone gets the point. I'm planning on wrapping the wood trim in black carbon fiber, and replacing the shift knob (yes, it is an automatic, but it serves a purpose as this is my DD and I live in suburbia) with a black one. The aerial shot of the center console should emphasize how the edges of the seats will match up once they are dyed black. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1754.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	553454   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1755.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	553455   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1756.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	553456  
Old 04-11-2014, 12:01 AM   #12
Skazzy

My Ride: X Wing
There are a couple epic dye threads on E46F by Alec and Neil. Search for them, very resourceful if you're considering it.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:09 AM   #13
tuscan1205

My Ride: e46 325CI, w212 E550
The stitching and fitment of the leather in the original post looks bad. Real bad. Especially the headrests.

'02 e46 325CI & '12 w212 E550

tuscan1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:18 AM   #14
KieranG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skazzy View Post
There are a couple epic dye threads on E46F by Alec and Neil. Search for them, very resourceful if you're considering it.
Yeah I've been reading a few of those, Neil's was pretty serious haha I don't think I'd ever have the patience or time for all of that. Came out great though! I'm definitely learning a lot reading about it.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:20 AM   #15
KieranG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscan1205 View Post
The stitching and fitment of the leather in the original post looks bad. Real bad. Especially the headrests.
The picture is of seat covers which I am not buying as it says in my original post. They simply gave me the idea of two toning my seats with dye.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:52 PM   #16
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Comments on the original pic:

I wouldn't 2-tone the headrests.
I would dye the seat bottom trim black too.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #17
KieranG

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Comments on the original pic:
I wouldn't 2-tone the headrests.
I would dye the seat bottom trim black too.
I agree on both those points. Thanks for the suggestion!

Seems like Leatherique is the way to go as far as the dye is concerned, anyone have any conflicting opinions?
Old 04-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #18
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
I went through all this, let me know if you have any questions. I did it way before Neil
Old 04-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #19
bflydon

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP Sedan
I have black floor mats with tan interior. I like the way it looks. I prob won't take it any further than that.

In my E30 (also tan interior), I'm thinking about adding black floor mats, black door handles & pockets. There's already a lot of black plastic in that interior.

Go for it. Try it out. Keep stock pieces if possible so you can swap back if you don't like the end result or grow tired of it one day.
bflydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:05 PM   #20
imDerpz

My Ride: 2003 M3, 2002 330xi
I think having one main color with just a small bit of a different color such as the trim or stitching looks much better. Not a big fan of the two tone but hey its your car not mine.

imDerpz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dye, interior, seats, tan, two tone