E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #41
JasonLI25t

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
Most of the e46s out there are beaters which is why the values have decreased so much. Even a lot of the cars that appear to be decent on the exterior and the interior are covered underneath with corrosion that is literally eating the car away from the inside out. I pay close attention to a lot of the DIY pictorials and videos and I'm sorry to say but most peoples e46s are corroded and rotten underneath. In the grand scheme of things these are awful cars to own unless you are an enthusiast that has an unmolested and corrosion free car that isn't driven on a daily basis and plenty of cash to where if the car is totaled its just a little bump in the road and not a financial crisis. If I only had one car and was on a budget an e46 would be one of the last cars I would buy. Huge maintenance costs, extremely low value, and old enough now that most of them are literally being eaten away.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
i think you are being a little dramatic now. you're starting to come off as if you hate these vehicles. it's not that what you're saying isn't true to an extent, but huge maintenance costs? not if you DIY...parts are readily available and not that expensive.

i agree with you on the current state of most E46s. Its unfortunate but there were an absolute ton of these cars made, and only so many good owners to go around. as time goes on, the truly awful ones will rot into the ground and thin the herd a bit, and maybe we start to clean up the used e46 market.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #42
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
They should give you fair market value (less deductible). What is fair market value? That depends.
Even if statistics for sales were available, being rare does not equal being more valuable. Unless perhaps
you have one of a kind in pristine condition, and you can find the one person who really wants to own it.
The E46 is not old enough or rare enough to have a collector markup - but I could be wrong.
A 330xit with manual in the USA might command a higher price - only because they were not sold here.
Consider this as a buying/selling negotiation. The insurance company will likely offer a reasonable, but
on the low side, price. You need to come back with a reasonable, but on the high side, price. Then you settle
someplace in the middle.

OP has not come back, suggests really not interested.

But I'm curious, NOVAbimmer, and mjpgolf1, and others - do you keep comprehensive/collision insurance
on your cars? So far I do, but I'm not sure if it makes sense
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #43
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: E60M
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd View Post
They should give you fair market value (less deductible). What is fair market value? That depends.
Even if statistics for sales were available, being rare does not equal being more valuable. Unless perhaps
you have one of a kind in pristine condition, and you can find the one person who really wants to own it.
The E46 is not old enough or rare enough to have a collector markup - but I could be wrong.
A 330xit with manual in the USA might command a higher price - only because they were not sold here.
Consider this as a buying/selling negotiation. The insurance company will likely offer a reasonable, but
on the low side, price. You need to come back with a reasonable, but on the high side, price. Then you settle
someplace in the middle.

OP has not come back, suggests really not interested.

But I'm curious, NOVAbimmer, and mjpgolf1, and others - do you keep comprehensive/collision insurance
on your cars? So far I do, but I'm not sure if it makes sense
Yes, I have comp and collision on all five of our vehicles. Then again, I've got two car notes, so I have to.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #44
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i,05 745,03 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLI25t View Post
i think you are being a little dramatic now. you're starting to come off as if you hate these vehicles. it's not that what you're saying isn't true to an extent, but huge maintenance costs? not if you DIY...parts are readily available and not that expensive.

i agree with you on the current state of most E46s. Its unfortunate but there were an absolute ton of these cars made, and only so many good owners to go around. as time goes on, the truly awful ones will rot into the ground and thin the herd a bit, and maybe we start to clean up the used e46 market.

I don't hate these cars at all. I'm on my 3rd e46 and I hope to always have one in the garages. Even with DIY if you maintain these cars properly they still cost big money. Over the course of just a few years you can easily spend over $5000 on just refreshing basic parts. That to me is high maintenance costs compared to other brands that require much less.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:11 PM   #45
mo-ski-luv

My Ride: 2004 330 Ci 6mt
Quote:
Even the cars that are only a few years old in my area are already corroding under the surface. I wouldn't buy a car locally or anywhere in the snow states for myself under any circumstances. There are however a lot of people that do. It's crazy to me that people would buy the older higher end cars that require lots of upkeep because after all that you have to invest in them you still end up with a pile of corrosion under the car and in the cracks that you can't see. I would hate spending thousands refreshing cooling systems, suspension parts, cosmetics, etc, on a car that is covered with crap underneath. It just doesn't make sense to me.

totally agree with this.. same as the northeast cars with the terrible potholed roads
mo-ski-luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #46
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Expect 8k-9k...

the more you wait, the higher chance of you getting a bit more... it's a physiological game they play.. they know you want the money.. but if you wait and be patient.. you'll get what you asking., trust me.. happen to me 5months ago with my totalled 325xi with lots of maintenance history on paper in the 3k in 1 yr half. I got 8k and they offered 6k told lady no thank you and hang up the phone.. 1 month later.. 8k check.

Last edited by Gus330vrum; 05-21-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:51 PM   #47
autoAER

My Ride: 2005 325i 5MT
Quote:
I don't hate these cars at all. I'm on my 3rd e46 and I hope to always have one in the garages. Even with DIY if you maintain these cars properly they still cost big money. Over the course of just a few years you can easily spend over $5000 on just refreshing basic parts. That to me is high maintenance costs compared to other brands that require much less.

imo for what you are getting in an E46, i think the money spent on maintenance is justified. you could go ahead and buy a shitbox civic, and in that case maintenance is only less because people choose not to maintain it properly, because you arent looking for BMW performance in a honda/kia/hyundai. you end up just keeping the shitbox on the road, but with the e46, its kind of an all or nothing deal. you either keep it at max performance, or you give up and let it slip and die.

Last edited by autoAER; 05-21-2014 at 07:52 PM.
autoAER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:21 AM   #48
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: E60M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus330vrum View Post
Expect 8k-9k...

the more you wait, the higher chance of you getting a bit more... it's a physiological game they play.. they know you want the money.. but if you wait and be patient.. you'll get what you asking., trust me.. happen to me 5months ago with my totalled 325xi with lots of maintenance history on paper in the 3k in 1 yr half. I got 8k and they offered 6k told lady no thank you and hang up the phone.. 1 month later.. 8k check.

And you had to wait a month to get it. Most people can't afford to be without a car for a month.

And the longer you wait doesn't guarantee a higher settlement. They're not going to settle on an unreasonable offer no matter how long you wait them out.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:25 AM   #49
2000E46FL

My Ride: 2000 323i manual
I want to cry . But it hurts too much can't believe this happened

I just joined the forum few weeks ago. . I have a 2000 323i 5spd manual . 94 K Which my family bought new in 00 . Only serviced by dealers and kept in condition well above the average vehicle. I suspected I needed my center bearing send flex disk done, which I did at ft Lauderdale bmw. Mechanic there told me was a good call and yea it drove awesome after they changed it and also the valve cover just to keep things in tip top shape . Well good things apparently don't last as a driver 4/6/16 drove through a red light head on into me . Broke my foot , injured my shoulder and back .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	629259  
2000E46FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #50
2000E46FL

Was never painted or in an accident for 16 years

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	60
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	629260  
Old 04-13-2016, 08:00 AM   #51
venerated

My Ride: 325xi / Mazda3
Holy **** dude, that sucks. ^^^ It's hard to tell but it looks like there could possibly be frame damage from how far in it is pushed, but I'm not an expert. You'd either have to start taking the car apart or have a place do it to see how bad it is. She was a beauty!

2003 325xi Jet Black/Brown Leather
2016 Mazda3 s Grand Touring Jet Black Mica/Black Leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpvue View Post
a list of parts to replace on these is easy; just replace everything.
venerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:08 AM   #52
2000E46FL

I really want to fix the car despite a lawyer who said it's worthless and he's " a car guy " so he definitely knows for sure. Yea whatever he doesn't know how to drive a 5 spd # 1 and # 2 has a Lexus and its not an LFA . That's no " car guy" that's a "car yenta" who drives their monogram boca edition to temple.. I fired him . He's a lawyer he can't conclude anything he's not an adjuster nor a mechanic . The car isn't obviously split in 2 or flattened to a pancake so there is no need for him to act like a know it all obnoxious shmuck . I think his lawyer ergo has been just a bit over inflated .
Old 04-13-2016, 08:16 AM   #53
2000E46FL

The list of what was done to the car is thorough but not excessive for the age

I did preventative maintenance and the car was in good shape . Water pump disa, expansion tank breaks tires all flex disk and center besting all within last 6 months .
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	75
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	629265  
Old 04-13-2016, 08:29 AM   #54
2000E46FL

If t can't be fixed I want to find the best e46 manual transmission I can find out there. This is the car I always wanted and enjoyed so that is what I want . Even if I had more money I'm not a fan of the newer models . They have catered to people like my lawyer who are way more interested in having mobile phone integration features than driving characteristics . I have been thru the ringer and if. Any of you owned an Audi or followed the forum on Audiworld it's embarrassing to say that I was nj4.2guy and was 23 and clueless at the time. Now again I have no car but this time it's not my fault and there was nothing I could have done to prevent this . http://www.audiworld.com/g/picture/1095282

You can even see my 323i back in 2003 in this photo with the infamous A6 4.2 transmission nightmare back up in jersey
This is just not fair , I learned my lesson back then , I don't need this again .
Old 04-13-2016, 08:39 AM   #55
2000E46FL

I couldn't find examples of cars in same condition for sale to show my lawyer .

Very depressing but I will say that if they only give me 2 k as the lawyer I fired stated , . When my leg heals (hopefully) it hurts like hell now ! I will rather have it towed to my friends townhouse that has a garage and part out what I can on eBay. Than let them give me 2,000 for it . Btw I have the entire bavsound speaker upgrade . 2k is just not a realistic number to me. Sorry .
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	82
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	629266  
Old 04-13-2016, 08:46 AM   #56
2000E46FL

Again thanks to leatherique rejuvenator oil ad pristine clean my seats were in great shape I was going to buy a small redye kit to make the armrest and bolster look 100% flawless but canceled it now
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	72
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	629268  
Old 04-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #57
TynPar

My Ride: '01 325 vert
From the sounds/looks of it, you should get $3-4k easily from the insurance. I would not hesitate and take the check, don't let your sentimental feelings get in the way of rational thinking. Unless you get super lucky and find used color matched parts, you'll be spending a lot of money and time on a 00' 323i with accident history that will now be worth $3k on it's absolute best day.

Also don't hijack old threads, your posts warranted their own thread.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:44 AM   #58
2000E46FL

Sorry can I put as a new thread?

I didn't see where to do that
Old 04-13-2016, 09:47 AM   #59
2000E46FL

How do you get 3-4 k

I don't understand. , it was owned since new only dealer serviced never in an accident prior to this and cared for waxed regularly original paint. Every piece of paper documented 16 years . Sorry it's worth more to part out in that case . I'll have friends help me if I am unable . It has 92,000 miles how do you get 3-4 k

Last edited by 2000E46FL; 04-13-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:25 AM   #60
TynPar

My Ride: '01 325 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000E46FL View Post
Do you understand it was owned since new only dealer serviced and cared for waxed regularly original pain. Every piece of paper documented 16 years . Sorry it's worth more to part out in that case . I'll have friends help me if I am unable . It has 92,000 miles how do you get 4K
The type of people who care about the maintenance are also the type who care about accident history.

The insurance will estimate the pre-accident value based on similar condition models for sale. If you search classifieds or KBB value, youll see the car is only worth $3-4k. 323i's simply arent that sought after.

Also in the video it looks like bumper mount/frame rail is bent... not a hard fix, but if you dont have the expertise, its expensive. Unless youll be heart broken without it, part it ot take the check.

The thread you hijacked was for a car way way nicer and newer, and he only got offered $7k
TynPar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330xi, 6mt, totalled