Subwoofer Install w/ HK Premium Sound Package - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
mmdogg01

My Ride: 03 325i
Talking Subwoofer Install w/ HK Premium Sound Package

Hi all. I'm brand new to the forums. I've been lurking around here for about a year now. I've owned 2 e46's First was a 2001 325i. After that one was rear ended by a driver on his cell phone, I picked up a 2003 325i. This one has a few upgrades, most notably the Harmon Kardon Sound System. Thing is, I don't think it does enough for me. I have some Subwoofers I had in my 01 that survived impact and I want to install them in the new one, problem is, the 03 is all new to me, I've done head unit installs in plenty of cars and never saw any antenna hook up like the one in mine. I'm guessing I'll need an adapter. Anyone point me to the right place and part so I don't spend too much time buying the wrong one and returning it several times. Also, here's the big issue. I've seen talk about the HK rear speakers running off of an amp and I've seen youtube videos on wiring subs by splicing into the remote turn on wire etc for that amp. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a better video than the one I saw. It's not very clear and it seemed like the guy was making more of a comedy than a tutorial. Any suggestions for wiring in the new subs?

One last question... I LOOOOVE the look of the angel eyes/halo's. I have bi-xenons installed and want quads with the halo's, anyone know of any links to some prebuilt ones. If that's unavailable, does anyone know of a intermediate level project kit to make them? I don't have a dremel or a reciprocating saw so all the videos i've seen are moot until I pick them up.
Thanks for all your help in advance and I'm glad to be a part of such an amazing community now. I shouldn't have lurked for so long.
mmdogg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
jmillsner

My Ride: 330Ci 6 Spd, 335Cic
any radio installation thread on here will do. yes, there is a factory amp. however, i would tap your remote wire into something up by the headunit. you dont have to, its ust my method.

yes, you will need an antenna adapter. try www.crutchfield.com they have some stuff there.

in terms of wiring the sub, you will have to tap into the stock wires for the sub if you want to retain the factory deck
jmillsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
mmdogg01

Cool

That's part of my problem. You sent me to Crutchfield but i was looking for a link to the exact part. So if anyone has an 03 w/ hk and has purchased it before, they know the exact part number or page where they purchased it I've seen numerous adapters online and I don't know exactly which one to get. I'm also looking for much more detailed information about splicing into the remote turn on wires etc. And the ramifications of choosing to get rid of the stock hk amp and rear speakers. Thanks for your help though.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:48 AM   #4
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
First off, no no no no no. If you've done plenty of installs, then you'll know that you are up against a major problem. (Plus shouldn't you be more keen in being able to locate and identify what antenna adapter is compatible. I mean even a guy who hasn't installed any stereo system could at least google and find something). Let me ask you then buddy, once you find your remote wire to tap into, which is not located on the hk subs (as far as I know) how do you plan on getting the signal feed from? Once you figure that out, you'll still be on a road towards disappointing results. If you're ok with tolerable bass, which I swear with a stock HU and the hk subs still hooked up, those hk subs may seem like they're hitting harder than whatever you throw back there.

What's worse? Having a sedan you can't fold your rear seats and with the way it's sealed amd insulated back there I will expect you to be back on here asking more questions.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:51 AM   #5
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
Correction, I meant on the hk sub unit. The remote wire is on the hk systems main amp, which is hidden
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:58 AM   #6
mmdogg01

I'm putting in two 12" L7 Kickers in a ported box with a 2300 watt monoblock amp. The seat doesn't fold down but believe me, with the bass coming from this set up, you could insulate the entire car with drywall and fiberglass and you could still hear it 50 feet away. They'll hit harder than the HK rear speakers. I guarantee you that. In the youtube video I saw there was a remote turn on wire to the HK amp, that's what I was talking about. Also, the video mentioned hijacking the rear speaker wires with a line out converter for the signal feed. If worse comes to worse, I can always just run rca cables from the replacement head unit. Also, I see what the plug looks like, it's not ISO and it's not DIN connector and just from googling I can find adapters. My problem is that there may be another linkage and was hoping someone with a similar car who's had the same problem could help me out and point me in exactly the right direction - The place I would be buying the adapter from is in another country and I just don't want to wait two weeks for it to get here and it's the wrong part. I'm new to the forums, I'm not stupid. If you don't have answers to my question or can't help me out, I'd appreciate if the naysaying would end here.

Last edited by mmdogg01; 05-23-2014 at 05:00 AM.

Tags
hk, install, sound, subwoofer, system