E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2015, 04:19 PM   #61
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:42 PM   #62
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
URO Premium window regulator installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibo View Post
One of mine failed today, no warning sounds.

Was it a Uro Premium?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1079371

^^Blue Ridge Parkway^^ '03 325i. '74 Jeep CJ-5. '93 Sailfish 170XL. '12 Westside SS Longboard. One of these four are sure to be running at any given point in time.

Last edited by Yewzer B Lewzer; 06-19-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:35 PM   #63
Chibo

My Ride: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yewzer B Lewzer View Post
Yes. I'll do a postmortem when I get one to replace it.
Chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:42 AM   #64
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Nice...
Solidjake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:51 AM   #65
Yewzer B Lewzer

Can you do the post mortem reply to the link I provided above? Trying to consolidate.

^^Blue Ridge Parkway^^ '03 325i. '74 Jeep CJ-5. '93 Sailfish 170XL. '12 Westside SS Longboard. One of these four are sure to be running at any given point in time.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:52 PM   #66
Chibo

No problem. I will call AutoHaus on Monday - they are local to me - and get a replacement.
2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000 (Street/Track)

Last edited by Chibo; 06-20-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:03 AM   #67
Murdered e46

My Ride: bmw 330i
any news on the updated ones that came out in Sept. 2014? are they still doin good?
Murdered e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:32 AM   #68
Yewzer B Lewzer

See here for a related thread.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1079371

Old 06-21-2015, 08:15 AM   #69
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Thread from the DIY section merged in
Solidjake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #70
UROpartsman
Account Under Review

My Ride: 1996 M3
Hello everyone, my name is Daniel and I'm with URO Parts. We definitely appreciate the valuable feedback and keen observations made in these window regulator threads! Yewzer B Lewzer is 100% correct about one of the biggest window regulator design challenges: the cable jumps off the pulley upon release of tension when the regulator is in the fully up position. Our engineers agree that this is one of the key causes for failure in the system and is precisely why we added ball bearings to the pulleys. Bearings allow the cables to be substantially tighter than OEM, reducing cable slack without increasing drag. As Yewzer observed, URO Premium regulators also have a smaller gap between the pulley and the steel rail and the groove in the pulley is deeper to further resist cable jump.

In addition, we routinely pull samples from production runs and test them in actual car doors (many have gone 400,000+ open/close cycles and counting) to observe wear, identify potential issues, and confirm manufacturing is to specification. We have had great feedback from some of our distributors and certainly welcome real-world feedback from e46fanatic members and other end users. Our goal was to surpass OEM performance and durability and though achieving a failure rate of zero isn't realistic due to manufacturing anomalies we're very pleased with a warranty rate of far less than 0.5% thus far.

Chibo, if you're having any trouble receiving your replacement, please let us know so we can send you one directly.
UROpartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #71
Chibo

Hey, now that's customer service.

AutohausAz is local to me - just arranged a will-call pickup on a new regulator for today/tomorrow.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:23 PM   #72
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
uropartsman, I'd like to say thank you for being the only company that has taken this issue seriously enough to release an updated design to address the high failure rates of these regulators, and standing behind it with a lifetime warranty

Build thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=696662
Wheelwell: 2003 BMW 3 Series
Fuelly: 2003 BMW 330i
rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:53 AM   #73
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by UROpartsman View Post
Hello everyone, my name is Daniel and I'm with URO Parts. We definitely appreciate the valuable feedback and keen observations made in these window regulator threads! Yewzer B Lewzer is 100% correct about one of the biggest window regulator design challenges: the cable jumps off the pulley upon release of tension when the regulator is in the fully up position. Our engineers agree that this is one of the key causes for failure in the system and is precisely why we added ball bearings to the pulleys. Bearings allow the cables to be substantially tighter than OEM, reducing cable slack without increasing drag. As Yewzer observed, URO Premium regulators also have a smaller gap between the pulley and the steel rail and the groove in the pulley is deeper to further resist cable jump.

In addition, we routinely pull samples from production runs and test them in actual car doors (many have gone 400,000+ open/close cycles and counting) to observe wear, identify potential issues, and confirm manufacturing is to specification. We have had great feedback from some of our distributors and certainly welcome real-world feedback from e46fanatic members and other end users. Our goal was to surpass OEM performance and durability and though achieving a failure rate of zero isn't realistic due to manufacturing anomalies we're very pleased with a warranty rate of far less than 0.5% thus far.

Chibo, if you're having any trouble receiving your replacement, please let us know so we can send you one directly.
Can you please let us know how is this addressed in your premium design (I have 4 pending regulators to replace with the same part broken)
Old 06-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #74
Chibo

Unfortunately mine decided to strip the gear teeth on the motor assembly after it jammed.

Here is the right side regulator, which I have not yet installed. You can see there is no clearance between the spool and metal frame.

Somehow the regulator managed to clearance itself.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #75
UROpartsman
Account Under Review

My Ride: 1996 M3
@paraklas - We have never encountered the window guide breaking as in your picture. This is not a common failure.

@Chibo - Your pictures don't show it, but my guess is that the cable is off the pulley. That is the initial cause of the failure just as previously described. Once the cable comes off the pulley it will get wound up in the spool as shown in your photo. If you PM me your address I will send you a new motor for free.

The goal of the URO Premium regulator is to keep the cable from coming off the pulley while simultaneously reducing the resistance through the use of ball bearings.
UROpartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #76
Chibo

You guys are awesome I ordered a used motor off eBay for $25 a couple hours ago; I greatly appreciate the gesture!

Just got back from picking up my replacement from AutohausAz - now to wait for the motor to arrive.

Last edited by Chibo; 06-24-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #77
Yewzer B Lewzer

Quote:

Feel free to post that on my thread too. Maybe Uro can help us find a solution to the sticking glass?

Old 06-25-2015, 01:00 AM   #78
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
@paraklas - We have never encountered the window guide breaking as in your picture. This is not a common failure.
With sedans it is actually common, the extra stress on the cable due to friction on the door frame guides goes to the weakest point which is that thin piece of plastic that BMW (and Mercedes) thought it would hold fine. And I'm wondering since you say that you added even more tension on the cable, if it will cause that clip to fail prematurely in conditions where there is excessive resistance from the glass going down/up - not everyone cleans and lubricates their window guides. I would buy in a heartbeat a regulator with metal or at least reinforced slider clips (and the ball bearings that you already offer ).

I applied this fix on a couple of regulators that were saved (owners didn't try to roll the window at all and steel cable remained intact) and it is holding fine after a couple of years (picture taken 30/06/2008):
Old 06-25-2015, 08:01 AM   #79
jacob220

My Ride: 2003 325i 5spd
^ That's exactly the problem. The sliding clip brakes because the glass sticks to the seals.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-25-2015, 09:46 AM   #80
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
What lubricant do I need for the window glides. I bought the URO premium for my XI. Passenger door started making noises.

ZHP Mods: JB Lightweight fly wheel (10.5 pounds), Koni FSD ProKit, Supreme Power Drop Hats, Hotchkis front(30.2mm)/rear(25.4mm) sway bars, Sprint Booster, AFE Stage 1 Intake, Morimoto EvoX-R Headlights, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, Satin Black 18x9 ET42 APEX ARC-8 Wheel

330xi Mods:Front Koni Yellow Struts and Rob43 Rear 9 Way adjustable Rear Dampers,Custom Sport Springs,Supreme Power Drop Hats,ZHP 5 speed shift knob
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw, lifter, premium, quality, uro parts, uro premium, window regulator