E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 08:47 PM   #1
GoodEnough

My Ride: '06 & '11 M3 ZCP
Best Budget Coilovers For A 1999 328I (E46)

Hello, I own a 1999 328i and I was looking at coilovers for it. I was looking at raceland coilovers which go for a cheap $400... I was wondering if there was any other brand that might be better for a decent price? I was looking to drop it maybe only a inch or two from where it is right now, which is a little lower than stock due to worn out stock springs. Thanks.
GoodEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
JapanRot325ci

My Ride: 04 E46
drop an inch or two? go with h&r springs and koni strut

i see good reviews on streetedge coilovers for $400.
JapanRot325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:33 PM   #3
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Save up some $ and buy Quality springs & strut/shocks or C/O"s, this is a subject where,....... you get what you pay for.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:04 PM   #4
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i,05 745,03 X5
Don't do this on the cheap op. If you wait and do it the right way the first time not only will you be glad you did but you will also save money in the long run by not having to do it again. Also if you are that hard up for money maybe you should scrap the whole suspension thing until finances get better for you. Make sure you get the cooling system and other very important items refreshed before messing around with coil overs.

Do some more research and also you should really consider going with a quality shock and strut setup with some good springs. Much better than throwing cheap coilovers on it. Good luck but get your maintenance done first man.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #5
GoodEnough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
Don't do this on the cheap op. If you wait and do it the right way the first time not only will you be glad you did but you will also save money in the long run by not having to do it again. Also if you are that hard up for money maybe you should scrap the whole suspension thing until finances get better for you. Make sure you get the cooling system and other very important items refreshed before messing around with coil overs.

Do some more research and also you should really consider going with a quality shock and strut setup with some good springs. Much better than throwing cheap coilovers on it. Good luck but get your maintenance done first man.
The car is WELL maintained for 114k miles, just got the whole radiator replaced. Car runs good. Just cant stand the leaning in corners, plus I want the car to look good, thanks for advice!
Old 02-04-2015, 11:01 AM   #6
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i,05 745,03 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodEnough View Post
The car is WELL maintained for 114k miles, just got the whole radiator replaced. Car runs good. Just cant stand the leaning in corners, plus I want the car to look good, thanks for advice!

Not to nag but replacing the radiator doesn't even scratch the surface of "well maintained". Every single part that's involved with anything that has to do with cooling the engine needs to be refreshed if it hasn't been yet. I would strongly recommend doing this before anything that has to do with suspension. Unfortunately even though these cars are affordable to buy they still require the maintenance level of a $40k+ European car. Im really just trying to help you avoid a big issue if possible. If you read through this forum on a daily basis you will quickly see how many people have issues that could've been avoided if they would've spent the money they had available on more important things.

If you are going to move forward with suspension at this time please do yourself a favor and just go with a quality shock and strut setup. For under $1000 you can put very high quality shocks, struts, and springs.

Also your issues with sloppy handling could be more related to worn bushings and steering components as well. Even a worn out stock BMW shock,strut, and spring setup will still ride fairly tight compared to most cars on the road which tells me that you may see a bigger improvement going this route first. So maybe look into other items such as the control arm bushings, trailing arm bushings, sway bar bushings, etc, etc. One of the most common issues with these cars are these worn out weak bushings and if you are able to replace them yourself you can purchase the parts fairly inexpensive. Pair those with a new steering guibo/coupler and that should really tighten things up quite a bit for you. You could very well feel more of an improvement replacing those bushings and components than you will just throwing cheap coilovers on the car. Just a few more suggestions for you to ponder. Ultimately it's your car but I've bought, sold, and owned enough of these damn cars to know what helps the most with certain issues.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
Chaplian

My Ride: M56 SULEV
Quote:
Not to nag but replacing the radiator doesn't even scratch the surface of "well maintained". Every single part that's involved with anything that has to do with cooling the engine needs to be refreshed if it hasn't been yet. I would strongly recommend doing this before anything that has to do with suspension. Unfortunately even though these cars are affordable to buy they still require the maintenance level of a $40k+ European car. Im really just trying to help you avoid a big issue if possible. If you read through this forum on a daily basis you will quickly see how many people have issues that could've been avoided if they would've spent the money they had available on more important things.

If you are going to move forward with suspension at this time please do yourself a favor and just go with a quality shock and strut setup. For under $1000 you can put very high quality shocks, struts, and springs.

Also your issues with sloppy handling could be more related to worn bushings and steering components as well. Even a worn out stock BMW shock,strut, and spring setup will still ride fairly tight compared to most cars on the road which tells me that you may see a bigger improvement going this route first. So maybe look into other items such as the control arm bushings, trailing arm bushings, sway bar bushings, etc, etc. One of the most common issues with these cars are these worn out weak bushings and if you are able to replace them yourself you can purchase the parts fairly inexpensive. Pair those with a new steering guibo/coupler and that should really tighten things up quite a bit for you. You could very well feel more of an improvement replacing those bushings and components than you will just throwing cheap coilovers on the car. Just a few more suggestions for you to ponder. Ultimately it's your car but I've bought, sold, and owned enough of these damn cars to know what helps the most with certain issues.
x2. My car is well maintained for 112k miles. Refreshed suspension, refreshed cooling system, and various other bits replaced and fixed. That's not even scratching the surface with my upgrades either. The BMW dealer couldn't find anything wrong.
Chaplian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
brea

My Ride: 00 328Ci & 98 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Save up some $ and buy Quality springs & strut/shocks or C/O"s, this is a subject where,....... you get what you pay for.

Rob43
+1 to this. Would never think of putting raceland coils on a BMW. Coilovers are not a great idea if you're on a strict budget because you often need additional parts like mounts, spacers, lower control arms, camber plates, FCAB's and sometimes the control arms themselves. My advice to you would be to save up for a higher quality set and do some serious research into what you're going to need for each individual set up.

'00 328Ci - M54B30 Manifold - EU2 - Rogue Engineering UDP's - Catless headers - OE M3 Engine/Trans Mounts - UUC Stainless Brake & Clutch Lines - ST Coilovers - SPC Adjustable Rear LCAs - Mason Engineering Rear Subframe Support - Burger Motorsports 12mm Spacers - 5spd "ZHP" Shift Knob
brea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #9
GoodEnough

Quote:

I agree with you, and thanks for the suggestions I will look into bushings and see if any need to be replaced and do so. If I decide to go for the coil overs it will be temporary, as I plan on getting a E46 M3 in the future. The car has no over heating issues as of now. Besides a airbag light. Thanks again!
Old 02-04-2015, 03:55 PM   #10
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: Anything with VMRs!
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
If you're looking for something temporary, why don't you go with lowering springs along with refreshing your bushings? Do you need the height adjustment?

And airbag light is something you'd want to take care of. You'll want to get a code reader to find out how serious of an issue it is.

Winter Wheel/Tire Sale!
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #11
GoodEnough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
If you're looking for something temporary, why don't you go with lowering springs along with refreshing your bushings? Do you need the height adjustment?

And airbag light is something you'd want to take care of. You'll want to get a code reader to find out how serious of an issue it is.
Yes, I would like the height adjustment. For example if I go to car meets I would want to lower my car, versus going on a road trip i would raise it. My Dad took it to a BMW Mechanic and the code said it had to do with something in the steering wheel. But once they "took apart" the steering wheel they could not "find any issuses that was causing the light" this happened a while back when my dad owned the car. So Im not exactly sure, I think they quoted him some insane price for the "fix" that wasnt guaranteed.

Last edited by GoodEnough; 02-04-2015 at 06:33 PM.

Tags
328i, coilovers, raceland, shocks and springs, springs e46