E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Complete Cars - Private

Complete Cars - Private
List your BMW or other cars, trucks or vehicles for sale.

Don't forget to search for deals on craigslist and eBay Motors

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #1
s1am

My Ride: 325iX-325XiT-325XiT
FS: 2002 E46 XiT 5 spd manual transmission sport interior ---- SOLD

I have a third kid on the way, so the car I didn't expect to ever sell may have to go. I bought this from a fellow forum member in 2011 and have really enjoyed it since.

Car is a 2002 325 XiT with 5-speed manual transmission, sport interior, heated manually adjustable seats, adaptive height xenon lights, angel eyes (nicely installed by the PO), ski port, auto sensing wipers and headlights (I think this is unusual as my other E46 XiTs have not had them) and a bunch of other modifications listed below. Mileage as of today is ~170k and climbing.

Seller was in Canada, so I imported the car to the US. Since the same vehicle was sold in the US, this was simply a matter of getting a letter of compliance from BMW NA and paying the feds some import duty. Not that it was necessary, but I also converted the instrumentation to imperial units (with guage faces and a cluster recode). At the time I was looking for a manual E46 XiT with sport interior, I saw very few for sale and they always went fast so I considered the added hassle and cost of importation to be relatively minor compared to doing a longer distance fly-and-buy.

I have maintained it with the intention of owning it beyond 250k miles. It currently has ~170k miles. Since purchasing the vehicle I put it back to stock height with heavy duty standard height springs. I loved the way it looked lowered but the realities of winter driving in VT made stock height more reasonable. Other than that I have just dialed the car in with a bunch of small modifications, including:
  • parrot connect bluetoooth system for hands free phone integration
  • dash bracket (attaches behind and protrudes below trim) for cell phone mount
  • SPEC USA ipod interface
  • reinstalled key on driver door that PO had removed (it looks nice without it, but I don't like the idea of not being able to get into my car if the remote stops working...have the parts to undo this if that is your thing)
  • installed an 8" subwoofer into the left side of the cargo area, flush with the removable panel surface behind which your cd changer would live if it were 1995
  • installed factory snap in window shades in the second row, the windows were already tinted but these really darkened the back seat up for sleeping kids on road trips
  • replaced console cupholders with factory storage container (covered euro tray)
  • added underseat first aid kits for storage
  • installed wide angle heated side mirrors
  • installed auto dim rear view mirror with homelink
  • hardwired my radar detector (valentine not included, but I could throw in the hardwire)
  • installed a stealthone
  • car came with no front license plate mounting accomodation, after the fifth time i got pulled over for this I installed a tow hook mounted license plate bracket
  • I'm sure there is more, but this is still a bit preliminary

I still have the staggered Mille Miglia rims (with Hancook EVO tires) but I run Blizzaks on MSWs for the Winter.

The car is good mechanically and electrically. I have not put off any maintenance or repairs. This wagon has spent most of it's life in the Northeast and has been driven year round that entire time so the most susceptible areas are starting to rust. It is not bad yet but if I were keeping it I would consider having a couple small areas (passenger lower door edge, front fender edges and upper edge of rear hatch opening on tailgate) cleaned up and repainted.

EDIT 5/19/15: http://i.imgur.com/u52LzA2.jpg
Just put my Summer tires on, and lowered the price a bit. Figured I would put current photos here to better represent the current state of the vehicle. Be sure to check out the incremental photos throughout the rest of the thread (aside from these, the newest pictures are at the end). I'll leave the original post as it was below this edit.

http://i.imgur.com/u52LzA2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vj5Y3OW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4ISLi2Z.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8Tiallm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NxEATFy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XuEXLd4.jpg

END EDIT, previous post left untouched below

http://i.imgur.com/xkKdHxN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IwBe724.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OklHIht.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dDctFP2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0jWaQcK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Sx9MJDQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gmdZl4C.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zfiCT9b.jpg

The roof box is not included in the sale (that took me awhile to find too and will fit just fine on the roof of the E61 I hope to replace this with). Some of the items are negotiable: Mille Miglia rims and tires (though you'd be crazy not to take them since they really make the car in the Summer), Thule roof bars, rear sub/amp setup (I have the stock panel to put this back as it was if you prefer not to feel your music), maybe the Parrot and USA SPEC setups, but they probably aren't really worth removing given how useful they are.

I will definitely need some feedback on pricing. I've really benefited from this forum while owning a nice string of E46s. I want to give someone a fair deal and would love for the car to go to an enthusiast. However, this is a rare car in a rare combo and is nicely set up so I don't want to give it away either.

I think the car with all the negotiable bits is worth $6000. I am open minded and flexible but not in a big hurry since this is a really fun car to own. Would consider a trade for an E61 or other AWD wagon capable of fitting three car seats across the back. I can get better photos and answer questions as needed. Just wanted to get this out there and see if there is any interest.

EDIT 3/2/15:
I've been traveling a bunch lately and am fielding some inquiries on the car. Some folks think my price is a bit high. My goal is to set the price fairly, I can be flexible to a point on this. Definitely get in touch if you are interested in doing a deal on the car and we will see if we can make something work.

EDIT 3/16/15:
Getting a bit more motivated to sell as I start shopping for E61s. Just adjusted my negotiable asking price to $6500...which I feel is a real good deal for this unusual combo but I am happy to let the market decide.

EDIT 4/20/15:
Updated my negotiable asking price to $6000.

EDIT 5/18/15:
Updated asking price to $5500.

EDIT 6/21/15:
Car is sold.

Last edited by s1am; 06-21-2015 at 02:47 PM.
s1am is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #2
thetotalthom

My Ride: 325XiT, ZHP, 03 M3
I have a helrot XiT and I LOVE the interior combo on this. Best of luck on the sale. AWESOME combo
thetotalthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
s1am

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetotalthom View Post
I have a helrot XiT and I LOVE the interior combo on this. Best of luck on the sale. AWESOME combo
Thank you. This one is Japanrot, would've been pleased with Hellrot as well. I saw this interior in another E46 for the first time just a few weeks before finding my car. I loved it and was really excited to find it along with everything else I was looking for at the time.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #4
MSP300

My Ride: M3
The price is going to highly depend on the maintenance done to the car since it has high milage. Also does the car have any rust, and has it been in any accidents?
MSP300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:42 AM   #5
s1am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP300 View Post
The price is going to highly depend on the maintenance done to the car since it has high milage. Also does the car have any rust, and has it been in any accidents?
Understood. I will work with my mechanic to see if I can get a comprehensive list of maintenance performed on the vehicle (and update the below with mileage/dates if possible/practical). As a starting point, during my ownership, the vehicle has received:
  • full new rotors and pads replaced
  • as indicated above, replaced lowering springs with stock height, heavy duty springs...these were challenging to source
  • replaced shocks/struts with new Bilstein HDs
  • replaced a pair of calipers when one seemed to be sticking (I like to do these in pairs)
  • replaced tcase and front driveshaft with good condition used units from a low mileage donor
  • water pump replaced
  • radiator replaced
  • coolant overflow tank replaced when original unit cracked, caught without overheating
  • radiator fan replaced
  • replaced both L and R front half shafts (including CVs)
  • replaced fuel pumps
  • cleaned flame trap
  • full fluid change (including tranny and difs) upon purchase
  • new cabin air filters upon purchase

As I know from buying lots of used cars that like to live in snowy climes, rust can be a very subjective assessment. In my opinion the current rusty areas are all at the very incipient stage and can still be dealt with without massive heartache. I will get some photos up when I have time showing the areas that are starting to bother me and let potential buyers judge for themselves. These areas are:
  • one side of the shallow sill at the bottom of the rear hatch glass
  • the very edge of the fenders
  • some smal areas on the leading edge of the hood

To my knowledge this car never had an accident. I do not see any siigns of one, none has happened on my watch and the PO indicated the same to me when I bought the vehicle.

Last edited by s1am; 04-02-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
s1am

I've been getting some good questions about the car via PM. Figured I would post answers here in case anyone else is interested.

Yes, those beautiful Mille Miglias did get a little bit of curb rash on my watch. The worst one is the one in the photo but I will get some pictures of all of them up when there is time.

I do not still have the lowering springs I removed. I sold them to another forum member. I loved the way they looked but it just wasn't a practical setup for where I drive.

The rooftop ski box is an older model model Packasport. I believe that their current model System 60LP is pretty close to the one you see on my car. It is well built, very nice to use
and very robust. Definitely recommended. The box is connected to BMW factory rails with standard Thule crossroads setup with square bars cut down close to the feet.

Yes, the front rotors are drilled. Sorry, I don't recall the brand.

The sub install has gotten a number of questions. I tapped into the left rear channel of the factory basic (no amp in the rear) audio system. This goes into a small amp with a built in LOC and crossover. The amp is turned on by the factory HU and powered through a dedicated switched run to the battery. This gear lives under the forewardmost portion of the cargo area floor (just ahead of the spare tire area). The sub is an 8" infinite baffle design from Infinity. The sub is bolted into a hole in a large size factory lateral trim panel (like the one you would put over a cd changer). I am very pleased with the setup as it is very unobtrusive and provides the sort of subtle but noticeable bass that I want from my music. I had posted some photos and info in this thread a while back but the photo hosting has gone offline since then. I'll see if I can dig up those pictures. In the meantime, here is what it looks like open and closed (sorry for the mess, it's ski season here and time is tight):

Canadian idiosyncrasies. I am not certain exactly which of the interesting options on this vehicle are the result of it's Canadian origin and which were explicitly chosen by the original purchaser. Here is a list of options that seem unusual to me based on the other E46 vehicles I have owned:
  • Daytime Running Lights, I know this is a settings adjustable via programming, but they came on on this car
  • Automatic headlight setting option
  • Auto sensing windshield wiper setting
  • No sunroof - actually I believe this was part of the original owners special order)
  • manual heated sport seats
  • radio has a mode button even though it is an '02, also there is no external antenna (I believe it is in the rear hatch glass), the HU has RDS and, I believe since the vehicle was a special order, the rear is not pre-wired for the fancier sound systems
  • there was no provision for a front license plate, so I added a tow hook secured plate bracket, something like this.
  • more if I think of it

Last edited by s1am; 02-13-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
Marinerd

My Ride: 04 xiT, 09 328i
MAN! I wish I wasn't so far away. I would love to check it out as I'm starting to look around for a wagon and get back in an e46.

Last edited by Marinerd; 02-26-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Marinerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:52 AM   #8
s1am

Car is still available, just had an oil service and state inspection at the end of last week. As I start shopping around for E61s I am more interested in doing a deal. I have adjusted my negotiable asking price accordingly. Get in touch if this one is interesting to you.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:33 AM   #9
s1am

Lots of interest but no solid offers yet...I can't say no unless you ask.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #10
mikeetastic

My Ride: lots of 3
is the driver door repainted? color looks different.

(didnt read your description sorry)
mikeetastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:42 PM   #11
s1am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeetastic View Post
is the driver door repainted? color looks different.

(didnt read your description sorry)
It was replaced for being rusty. Certainly looks more dramatic in the photos that I posted, now that you point it out, than IRL. I'll try to get some updated shots before too long.

Last edited by s1am; 04-02-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #12
kep2002

My Ride: 2002 325it
Bumper Insert

I have the front bumper insert that you need to properly mount the front plate.

RealOEM list the item for $37.17 but I will ship this unopened NEW part to you for $25 if you are interested.

Let me know. I understand that you may not wish to purchase something for the car you are trying to sell but a potential buyer may prefer to have this if their state requires mounting a front license plate.

Finally - I think your asking price is in line with numbers I have found for 2002 sport wagons. Going price seems to be around $6-$6.5K for factory original vehicles.

GLWS!

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bumper Insert.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	595450  
kep2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #13
s1am

Thank you for your offer of a plate bracket and for your price feedback Kurt.

When I bought this car my other E46 XiTs all had factory plate brackets. I really liked the look of the bumper without any plate. However I quickly realized that not having a front plate was going to cost me too much time discussing state laws with my local law enforcement community. I then chose the tow hook mount as I felt it preserved the lines of the front bumper better than the factory mount. I certainly understand if a buyer prefers a factory plate holder and in that case your offer would be a great opportunity, I will keep my tow hook mount and happily deduct $50 from the asking price.

The pricing is very tricky. There simply aren't enough manual, all wheel drive wagons around for much comparison. Not very many people want or appreciate this combo, but for those that do it is real hard to find one. Nonetheless, as our third baby approaches I am more inclined to make a deal...
Old 04-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #14
kep2002

My Ride: 2002 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1am View Post
Thank you for your offer of a plate bracket and for your price feedback Kurt.

When I bought this car my other E46 XiTs all had factory plate brackets. I really liked the look of the bumper without any plate. However I quickly realized that not having a front plate was going to cost me too much time discussing state laws with my local law enforcement community. I then chose the tow hook mount as I felt it preserved the lines of the front bumper better than the factory mount. I certainly understand if a buyer prefers a factory plate holder and in that case your offer would be a great opportunity, I will keep my tow hook mount and happily deduct $50 from the asking price.

The pricing is very tricky. There simply aren't enough manual, all wheel drive wagons around for much comparison. Not very many people want or appreciate this combo, but for those that do it is real hard to find one. Nonetheless, as our third baby approaches I am more inclined to make a deal...
I have thoroughly enjoyed driving my wagon for the past 9 years and am confident that I will miss her when she is sold.

Agree 100% with respect to the slick front bumper look and I sold the original bumper plate when I upgraded to the full M-tech II aero package years ago.

As any people have commented these cars were not imported in huge numbers and are sought after by a few select drivers who can appreciate the unique styling, versatility, comfort and sporting ride.

I used to travel to Europe quite frequently for my job and it is striking to recognize how popular wagons are overseas. It seems like every other car on the road is a BMW, Benz, Audi, Volvo, Saab or Citroen wagon.

GLWS
kep2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:52 PM   #15
celsdogg

My Ride: E30
pm coming.
celsdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:22 AM   #16
BMWCurves

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP 6MT
That is such a good looking car. The 325XiT has always seemed like such a good utility car.
BMWCurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:01 AM   #17
s1am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
That is such a good looking car. The 325XiT has always seemed like such a good utility car.
Aside from not being able to fit 3 car seats across the back seat as safely as I want, it has been the perfect car for me. Super fun to drive. Comfortable. Well appointed and understated interior. Plenty of space for luggage and toys. Very good in the snow. Fairly easy to maintain.

Wish I could keep it. I've considered getting one of these, but am worried about the legality where I live.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #18
BMWCurves

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP 6MT
What would the legality issue be? I honestly wouldn't have even considered that.
BMWCurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #19
s1am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCurves View Post
What would the legality issue be? I honestly wouldn't have even considered that.
I'm pretty sure that car seats need to be certified to meet some federal criteria. That thing says it's certified for use in the UK, but it isn't even clear if they'd ship to the US.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:49 PM   #20
celsdogg

My Ride: E30
Makes sense. Each state also has their own laws regarding child safety restraints.

Thanks for the info s1am. Feel free to post it. I'm gonna take a better look at it tomorrow.
celsdogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5spd, manual, sport interior 325xit, touring, wagon