Blew my diff? Few questions 328i e46 - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2015, 03:08 PM   #21
e46dub

My Ride: 2000 328i
Yep in 5th gear speeds mine would have been so much louder. Did you notice a sudden loss of power when the diff broke out of no where?
e46dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #22
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46dub View Post
Yep in 5th gear speeds mine would have been so much louder. Did you notice a sudden loss of power when the diff broke out of no where?
No it never broke, but I drained the fluid and it looked like metallic paint so I knew it was bad. You might want to do the same for yours but you'll have to refill in the meantime until your new diff is installed.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:19 PM   #23
e46dub

Yeah car is parked lol. I really want the 3.38. I've been searching and searching but no info on aligning the backlash
Old 02-16-2015, 03:32 PM   #24
WDE46

I know there's one out there where a guy sources a new crush ring and everything and sets it all himself. I found it during my diff fail.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:19 PM   #25
e46dub

Is it possible to do it at home with a set of common sockets. Just wondering if I should go 3.46 to save the trouble and pay the return Shipping on this 3.38
Old 02-16-2015, 04:29 PM   #26
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
^ i don't know. if only someone could have posted this answer for you. if only there was a way to use some search terms and enter them to the site Search feature and have results with multiple threads about differential swaps and diff flange swapping. if only there was a thingy, like a com-pu-ter. nah that technology is way far away still.

so until then i'm gonna write on some parchment with a quill and ink and give it to the pony express man to ride to your village. he will be there in about 3 months. it will say how to do this. GL
Old 02-16-2015, 04:44 PM   #27
e46dub

I've read your links ad been searching for the last 2 days. Take your trolling elsewhere unless you want to actually be helpful. Thank you. I don't need this additional stress
Old 02-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #28
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46dub View Post
I've read your links ad been searching for the last 2 days. Take your trolling elsewhere unless you want to actually be helpful. Thank you. I don't need this additional stress

He's being harsh and only half trolling you. The information is out there though.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #29
e46dub

I just dont want to mess up the backlash and setting the input shaft. I've read the articles but they aren't clear on that topic. I was told $70 at a local shop to swap the input shaft. I'd rather save the money though

Last edited by e46dub; 02-16-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:02 PM   #30
Alex323Ci

sorry i wasn't sure if you were reading the link i posted like the "DIY: Diff Swap" with all the torques, tools and step by step procedures. and read my post on how to swap out the flanges. but cool, you got the info. you should be fine now. but if any of the reading doesn't seem to make sense, just post the exact thing you're having difficulty with understanding and i'm sure we can explain.

installing a diff with the same type of input flange is easier, yes.
swapping out the input flnage isn't that hard. but there have been people unaware that it needs to be on the same or can wear out the gearing over time quickly. so if you swap the input flange, just follow my instructions and you will be fine. the socket is a thin walled socket. my craftsman worked but some say the ones they had were too thick.
output flanges just pry in/out if needed.
make sure you replace the fluid in the diff as often they come drained. best to have new crush washers for the drain/fill plugs. fill the diff before you install as it's much easier.
if possible get one or two new diff axle bolts. because if one gets stripped you have it ready. also notice those external torx sockets are a unique socket and will need to be bought at Sears, Amazon, autoparts store or Harbor Freight, etc.
axle flange bolts take a splined socket.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 02-16-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:15 PM   #31
e46dub

Yes I read it. SoI would just need to mark where the hole and spline go into the diff and line that up where the 330i splines meets the diff and install as such? This is my first time doing this

You said to mark the nut and shaft and count turns. But wouldn't the 328i input shaft be shorter so take less? I Must be confused on something about that process.

Last edited by e46dub; 02-16-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:27 AM   #32
Alex323Ci

on the input flange there is a nut holding it onto the shaft. (which is actually the pinion shaft). holding the nut in place so it doesnt spin loose is a bendable "locking collar". you'll need to re-use or replace this locking "collar". about $2 from dealer (after taking off to get nut off).
now what you don't want to do is reinstall that flange nut on too tight as it will pull the pinion gear shaft forward and put too much drag where it connects and meshes with the ring gear. or too loose as the gears wont connect properly. so it needs to have same amount of tension as it had before with the other flange coming from factory. since both flanges have the same thickness's and you're not messing with anything inside just put it back the same. so this means after swapping input flanges put the nut back in the exact same place and turns. this is why you mark the pinion tip (top of shaft where the nut screws on) and count turns to take off. then after swapping flanges, just put back same exact full turns (example 5) and end where the line is for edge of nut and a mark on the shaft that was directly adjacent to your mark on the nut's edge. some make a mark with sharpie. i do it with a center punch (or scribe) to make two dings in the metal that i can see and align later.
now this trick works for input flanges. but not if you're installing a LS unit inside or messing with the internals. which you are not doing.

Tags
3.38, 328i, differential