'04 330xi, Leaking of Reddish Fluid (Transmission, Power Steering..?) - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #1
noah_karch

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Exclamation '04 330xi, Leaking of Reddish Fluid (Transmission, Power Steering..?)

Just cross-posting this from reddit, help is again really appreciated guys!

Link for pictures regarding the issue: http://imgur.com/a/duv9P [1]
As the title says, I've been experiencing some form of constant leak that I only discovered had been going on today courtesy of my dad. I plan on posting to E46 Fanatics later, but know this is also a good place to start.
So, after pulling my car out like he had asked, right underneath where the engine would be to my car had accumulated a small amount of reddish fluid that looked clear from an angle, but when ran across with a finger, obviously a red-brown color. Now, for some background, when I was learning how to drive my car still, with it being a manual, I hit a pothole (thanks Great Lakes weather), and experienced temporarily a light signalling a possible radiator issue, however, over time, the indicator went away and was never to be seen again. Now back to the issue at hand, after pulling my car out, I looked underneath with my dad to survey what could possibly be the issue, and found that the plastic case beneath is cracked and the bolts (on the drivers side) are not holding up the case fully, but it's not dragging either. Feeling around, there are spots where the fluid seems to be dripping from, but it's not evident as to what is still causing it, and when rubbed around in your hands, it's a slightly oily substance. I recently bought this car a few months ago, and it's given me no issues, and there are still no warning indicators that would have notified me of this problem. The car is serviced for the next 4000 miles as per the sticker in the windshield, and there is currently around 150100 miles on it if I recall correctly. If you need more pictures, do ask! I was really just taking a shot in the dark with the pictures I took.
Help is appreciated!_a_
noah_karch is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
My325XI

My Ride: 03 325XI Sprt Prem
Hi. Could definitely be from the power steering or from the transmission or transfer case. They all take basically the same fluid. Get the car up on some ramps, lift, or jack stands to take off the plastic splash guards. Then begin the search for the leaking fluid. Clean off everything that is coated in fluid so that you can trace back where the fluid is coming from. Also check the engine bay from the top of the engine, look for leaking around the PS reservoir and hoses. The PS pump and lines are easier seen from the underside of the car. But that my guess... PS system leak. Have you needed to add fluid to the PS system?

2003 325XI 5-speed ZSP ZPP
My325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:53 PM   #3
Tlrtucker

My Ride: 2003 330xi
The splash shield causes any leaking fluid to whip all around and basically coat everything in fluid, making it difficult at times to find the leak.

If you hit something hard enough to cause the splash shield to tear up, then you could have easily done some damage to the power steering line that runs in front of the cross member. It sits right in front of that cross member, and could have easily been pinched. I'd start there...

Last edited by Tlrtucker; 04-21-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Tlrtucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, help needed, leak, power steering, transmission