OVERHEATING 318ci - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
Davidcarter

My Ride: 318ci msport
OVERHEATING 318ci

I'm new here and to BMW please go easy on me

So I'll get straight to the point (kind of) I brought a 318ci, gorgeous car, the other day went to inspect it as you do gave it a good test drive seemed all ok no problems whatsoever ever other than a slow puncture 120,000 miles that day I drove it all they way back from where I brought it home a good 120 miles and a good few hours drive

The next day I start it up wasn't going to drive it just started it up sat inside fiddling about with the stereo and what have you when I look up the temp needle was in the bright red and there is white smoke pooring out instantly switched the engine off, jumped out and saw all if not most of the coolent on the floor

When it had cooled a few hours I started it back up just to put it into the driveway and it got hot pretty quick (no coolent obviously) I was just wondering what could of happened I guessed to just fill or flush making sure there is no leaks, however when I opened the coolent tank a little later it was a tiny bit foamy i would have thought air should have came in when the coolent came out. The next thing I did was check my oil by opening the cap it was black no creaminess what so ever don't think I could have a blown head gasket and still be driven home 100+ miles could it?

Not having a BMW before I have no I sea what could have caused it or what I should do , that's why I need your help

Thanks sorry it's so long tried to be as descriptive as possible
Davidcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
clabcon

My Ride: e46 330 Ci
Mango has a sticky covering the E46 cooling system at the top of this forum.

Last edited by clabcon; 06-17-2015 at 04:47 PM.
clabcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #3
Mario0617

My Ride: 2003 330i
You have some part in your cooling system failing. My bet is Expansion Tank or Water Pump. I don't know much about the 318 engine, but it's probably a bit better than the M54 in terms of overheat resistance. First things first, you need to figure out what's busted in there. If you suspect a blown HG, get a compression test done prior to spending any more money.
Mario0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
My Ride: 03 330iT SportWagon
You overheated your car and may have damaged the head gasket and/or head.

Need to put some water in and see where it pours out.

The foam in your expansion tank is oil mixed in with the water.

Over 2 Billion Served !

BMWCaptain
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
Davidcarter

Thanks man don't know how I missed that overheating thing will do both compression test and put water through the system I'll reply with the outcome
Old 06-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #6
Davidcarter

Compression tester hasn't come yet but now have oil in my coolent and coolent in my oil :/ thats just great

Last edited by Davidcarter; 06-19-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #7
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
My Ride: 03 330iT SportWagon
Clear signs of a bad head gasket.

Over 2 Billion Served !

BMWCaptain
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
318ci, coolant, help a noob, overheating