New Guy Questions, Concerns, Thoughts, and Hopes... - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #21
Hamsocne

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Read read all stickied threads for fun. You have been given gave great answers especially Yewserw, the Winner and Andre.

I need to type into the rest of what I have done word of document but I can scan the earlier years pages since the dealer gave me a spread sheet looking doc of what they did to the car. So, just one thing embarrassing thing and an airbag replacement is all that needs to be added, plus a trunk roundel. I did that but it came from the dealership when I went back to have them align the dash trim again and so it is better now. Same price since no shipping needed.

And, I was looking for a different car. I didn't know then what I was missing. My first 330Ci had some damage in from the front damage and a new steering rack was nice. I didn't know until after the fact that the damage was worse but I never had an issue. Not a steering different ratio was better just a few years newer. But this one I have now handles perfect.

Hopefully, maintained records 2002s from 05 (or 06) to 09 and another from 11-09-present may give you an idea of what goes wrong.

And I will need an email. It can be a throwaway one.

You are welcome to all records. Stuff I typed has parts numbers.

Last edited by Hamsocne; 07-10-2015 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Front not fromt (8:24)- and throwaway email for records. I am happy to send.
Hamsocne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #22
jimvideopro

My Ride: 2006 330CiC
New Guy Questions, Concerns, Thoughts, and Hopes...

One more thing at your mileage. If you can't confirm that the fuel pump has been changed, buy one and leave it in your trunk for when yours fails. Ask me how I know. Mine went right on schedule at 100k. I was hoping to nurse it to Spring last winter so I could change it my self but that didn't happen. And +100 on the cooling system refresh. Mine went at 70k (right on schedule!). Fortunately I was pulling into a parking spot at the time and shut down immediately. As for DIY, I'm a big fan of oembimmerparts.com. Great prices great service.

Last edited by jimvideopro; 07-10-2015 at 07:28 PM.
jimvideopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #23
Ferklee

My Ride: 2005 325i
Thanks for the insight and help guys. It's awesome. I never would have guess this much backing behind a type of cars. Guess it's kind of a life style :o
Ferklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #24
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
New Guy Questions, Concerns, Thoughts, and Hopes...

You might get flamed for the tint, but not from me. I have fairly dark tint too (Florida... You know). Make sure the tint guy trims the tint at the right place.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1079371

Last edited by Yewzer B Lewzer; 07-10-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:33 PM   #25
Ferklee

At the top of the window right? Helps with preventing motor mounts going out. lol. Why would anyone flame me for tint.. I love tint.. I would die in Texas without it
Old 07-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #26
Ferklee

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1436574832.116311.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	606073

It will look nice when it's all said and done. I have big plans. :p
Old 07-10-2015, 07:41 PM   #27
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46x3,e90,e83
Welcome - I like your attitude. BTW you might not be aware but your car being registered in Ontario and BC had to undergo a complete safety examination when ownership changed ensuring it was road worthy and it was required to pass emission testing every two years. Both these jurisdictions have strict laws on reporting vehicle damage so it is difficult to evade this data getting logged in the vehicle history.

Not sure if the PO did any rework for the relocation?? The cluster and climate control unit may still be showing Celsius? You can change that display using the right hand button on the cluster when you have the temp showing on the cluster. Also if you pick up a BMW specific scanner like (PA Soft or INPA) for cheap (<$30) you can switch the odometer display & related functions like Oil Change & Service Interval display from KM's to Miles.
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #28
Ferklee

Thanks!
Well I guess that's a good thing. So do you know what these examinations entailed?
Also yes, I'm a step ahead of you there. Already turned everything into miles etc.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:07 PM   #29
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46x3,e90,e83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferklee View Post
Thanks!
Well I guess that's a good thing. So do you know what these examinations entailed?
Also yes, I'm a step ahead of you there. Already turned everything into miles etc.
It's not a mechanical test - they don't check compression or items like that. It's a safety inspection meaning all safety related items have to operate/function.

The safety inspection covers numerous components related to the safe operation of the vehicle, including:
Brakes
Tires
Lights
Signals
Wipers
Exhaust
Transmission
Suspension
Seat belts
Power windows
Doors & locks
Windshield chips or cracks
Airbags
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:15 PM   #30
Ferklee

AHHHH gotcha. Like they do in Texas. Apparently TENNESSEE doesn't require inspections, and only requires it to pass emissions which is weird
Old 07-10-2015, 09:11 PM   #31
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
Florida requires nothing. You should see some of the death traps running down our roads.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:12 PM   #32
Ferklee

I could only imagine... Is the BMW CCA group in Tennessee anything to hoot and Hollar about?
Old 07-10-2015, 10:30 PM   #33
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Be careful, I say no to Torque Pro for a number of reasons.

You purchased a 2005 which has Wideband O2 sensors and you need an App that functions correctly with the Wideband O2 sensors.

Here is what you need to know:

Get an OBDII smart phone/tablet App and interface, typically $30 or less. These Apps are usually best for drivability issues and they support Emission Readiness Monitor Status, Freeze Frame and Live/Realtime data. They are also great for Logging data for review after the car has been driven and can really help find unusual problems.

Android - Touch Scan for $3.95 and ELM327 OBDII to Bluetooth interface.

iProduct - OBD Fusion for $9.95 and ELM327 OBDII to Wifi interface.

I usually suggest getting the OBDII interfaces from Amazon if you are located in the US/North America. Make sure you choose an interface that indicates that the order will be "Fulfilled by Amazon" otherwise you may be waiting for WEEKS for an interface to arrive from Asia. Ebay is another option, but pay attention where the interface will be shipped from, again weeks for an interface from Asia, so if you can wait and want to try to save some money, go for it, but if you need an interface soon, choose wisely.

Search my username for more than you car to know about SES/CEL/MIL issues and rough running, misfires and vacuum leaks. Fix the problems NOW before you play "Whack A Mole".

Suggest you read and heed this thread, put a fuel pump and filter in the car NOW.

If you can change a tire, you can replace the fuel pump.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:57 PM   #34
Foxtrot_Uniform

My Ride: 325Xi
I say, go straight for the angel eyes!

Go Boi!
Old 07-11-2015, 12:32 AM   #35
Tbone8ty

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Be careful, I say no to Torque Pro for a number of reasons.

You purchased a 2005 which has Wideband O2 sensors and you need an App that functions correctly with the Wideband O2 sensors.

Here is what you need to know:

Get an OBDII smart phone/tablet App and interface, typically $30 or less. These Apps are usually best for drivability issues and they support Emission Readiness Monitor Status, Freeze Frame and Live/Realtime data. They are also great for Logging data for review after the car has been driven and can really help find unusual problems.

Android - Touch Scan for $3.95 and ELM327 OBDII to Bluetooth interface.

iProduct - OBD Fusion for $9.95 and ELM327 OBDII to Wifi interface.

I usually suggest getting the OBDII interfaces from Amazon if you are located in the US/North America. Make sure you choose an interface that indicates that the order will be "Fulfilled by Amazon" otherwise you may be waiting for WEEKS for an interface to arrive from Asia. Ebay is another option, but pay attention where the interface will be shipped from, again weeks for an interface from Asia, so if you can wait and want to try to save some money, go for it, but if you need an interface soon, choose wisely.

Search my username for more than you car to know about SES/CEL/MIL issues and rough running, misfires and vacuum leaks. Fix the problems NOW before you play "Whack A Mole".

Suggest you read and heed this thread, put a fuel pump and filter in the car NOW.

If you can change a tire, you can replace the fuel pump.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501
^this^ JFOJ is your friend

Black 2003 BMW 330i 5-spd Sport Package HSD
Tbone8ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:49 AM   #36
Hamsocne

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Jfoj, does the wideband sensor/no Torque Pro hold true for a 2002 with build date of June 2002?

Idk who on here recommended Torque (or even aCar which is a gas mileage app to me that allows for avg speed and other things). Must have been someone I trust one here. Or, I just found it interesting enough for $4.00). Things change and opinions change but they work for me. I got freeze frame data on one code and one code never showed up again when I was on the way to doing the airbag thing.

It paid for itself when clearing a code when I got my airbag replaced. I wasn't even a half mile from home when it lit the cel. If I showed up up at the dealer with a code that may have changed that experience. Codes have only happened twice in my two years of having Torque and I bet you can guess one was a vacuum leak.

It works for me. I really enjoy the peace of mind of it setting off a temperature alarm. I have it set to 100C and I hope that would give me enough time to pull over safely.

Jfog is your friend. There are some on here, and in this thread, that help out so much.

Last edited by Hamsocne; 07-11-2015 at 01:52 AM.
Hamsocne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:55 AM   #37
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsocne View Post
Jfoj, does the wideband sensor/no Torque Pro hold true for a 2002 with build date of June 2002?
No, Wideband O2 sensors were implement in 4/2003 on non M and non xi cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsocne View Post
Idk who on here recommended Torque (or even aCar which is a gas mileage app to me that allows for avg speed and other things). Must have been someone I trust one here. Or, I just found it interesting enough for $4.00). Things change and opinions change but they work for me. I got freeze frame data on one code and one code never showed up again when I was on the way to doing the airbag thing.

It paid for itself when clearing a code when I got my airbag replaced. I wasn't even a half mile from home when it lit the cel. If I showed up up at the dealer with a code that may have changed that experience. Codes have only happened twice in my two years of having Torque and I bet you can guess one was a vacuum leak.

It works for me. I really enjoy the peace of mind of it setting off a temperature alarm. I have it set to 100C and I hope that would give me enough time to pull over safely.

Jfog is your friend. There are some on here, and in this thread, that help out so much.
Sorry, this will be a LONG reply, but hopefully others will find this info useful and with the thread title, I think this reply fits pretty well.

Torque Pro was probably one of the earlier OBDII Apps available. It has a wide following and works for many. But with all Apps things change and Torque has actually caused many of the App vendors to drop the price on their Apps due to competition and add or expand on feature.

Since Torque Pro came along, there have been many main stream vendors that originally only had PC based programs that have now added Android and some even IOS Apps. For example Dash Command did not originally have any Apps, just PC based programs, then Dash Command came out with an Android App for like $50 and the App did not even support Live/Realtime data originally and I assume it did not sell very well. After some time their App finally dropped to $9.99. Dash Command was also released for Apple IOS as well. (Special Note: I really to not recommend/endorse Dash Command due to a number of reason, but many people fall for the fancy color graphs they show on their web site and in the App stores, do not be fooled by this!)

I have a NUMBER of different Apps, probably too many. But I can say that after having Torque Pro for a while and trying to get changes and corrections to the program, the developer WILL NOT communicate direction with end users and I found my IMPORTANT comments to go on deaf ears using the communication methods that the developer has implemented. Additionally many/most users end up Logging with Torque Pro and we constantly found it buggy, especially when trying to Log O2 sensors and it just became very frustrating to gather the necessary data when Logging.

Then came the revelation that there were problems in most all of the Apps with properly supporting/finding/identifying Wideband O2 sensors, not sure I can take 100% credit for finding this, but I will because I started contacting/trying to contact many of the App authors to point out this problem. It seemed to be a common problem across the board for many of the Apps I looked at. We as you can guess, some authors had direct ways of communications, some did not. Some App authors would be open to hearing what I had found, some weren't. Some App authors made corrections and updated their Apps, some did nothing.

So as you can see, there are many small nuances in the world of OBDII App developers and how they support their product(s) & end users. Some are more vested as the App is their core business, for some the App is a subset or extension of their core business. So with anything there are priorities.

I have found is the majority of my time supporting forum members here and on other forums, I work with data Logging for driveability issues. Very few App users seem to run the App on a constant basis for other reason, but I am sure some/many may. I do not regularly run any OBDII Apps in the background because of the hassle to always start the App and the resource and battery life issues that happen when continually running an OBDII App.

The issues of threshold Alarms is quite helpful Torque Pro has these, however, at this moment Touch Scan does not support threshold Alarms, BUT this may be coming in future releases along with other small changes and other features. For the moment Touch Scan for Android is $1 cheaper than Torque Pro, properly supports Wideband O2 sensors, has seamless DropBox integration, seems far less buggy with Logging and some the interface more intuitive or find other features to their liking. Touch Scan does have some room for improvement as well, so like anything in the world things are a toss up, but at the end of the day, the best/right tool for the job should be the focus as well what the end user requirements are and what they are comfortable with. But for the another $4-$5 you can have BOTH Apps if needed.

But like anything people have their own preferences, tend to listen to others for recommendations or are even swayed by glossy marketing and pictures. There are many, many reasons why someone may purchase product "A" over product "B".

As for the issue of Threshold Alarms, some may choose a dedicated stand alone monitoring device like the UltraGauge this purpose. For as low as $61 with mail in Reward, this is a dedicated monitor that auto starts and sleeps and can be used as a threshold alarm on any OBDII equipped vehicle. I have an UltraGuage that I tend to move around from car to car for different reasons and I find this is a much simpler, more reliable and easier way to monitor thresholds with alarms.

I have found in the OBDII App or scan tool/auto repair and maintenance world there is NEVER just one single tool for the job. Unfortunately I have almost 2 dozen scan tools, Apps and software packages for different reason and it just seems that there is never just a single/ultimate tool due to vehicle coverage issues, capabilities or even the hardware platform required to support the App/software or capability.

It drives me crazy on this and other forums where people with constantly say tool/App/software "X" is the ONLY item you need to maintain your vehicle, this FAR from true. In the case of this forum, depending on who's opinion it is, it usually seems that BMW Scanner 1.4.0, INPA or GT1 is the ONLY way to fix these cars. Well this is BY far from true. Each of these software packages has their specific purpose, and can be useful and it is likely wise to own, however, for everyday use these tools are not what most people need or want. Most people will not want to carry a laptop around in the car on a regular basis to monitor data or keep up with the SES/CEL/MIL light or Emission Readiness Monitors. Like I said earlier, you need to the right tool for the job and you have to understand what you need to tool for.

Anyone that owns a modern vehicle NEEDS at a minimum and OBDII tool of some sort. If you live in California, on everyone's 16th birthday nOBDII scan tool should be a MANDATORY gift. Even if you just Lease a vehicle, you really should have an OBDII tool. Most localities now require annual Emission testing and even if a newer vehicle is under Warranty and you may not be repairing it yourself, the chance that the SES/CEL/MIL will light up on the dashboard is there and the more you become familiar with your vehicles and OBDII codes, the more proficient you will be at determining what action is required, if and when the SES/CEL/MIL is triggered and how urgent it is to get the problem resolved.

When I travel, I will not leave home without a minimum of at least and OBDII App and interface. This is for the piece of mind while I am traveling I can support myself if the SES/CEL/MIL is triggered, I can then quickly and easily determined what is going on and decide if the error is just a nuisance or more critical.

What I typically attempt to do is get people to start with baby steps AND be prepared. DAILY I see people show up on this and other forums and start asking questions as to why their car does not run well and why the SES/CEL/MIL is on. But to support these people and understand what is going on, typically the first step is to check for OBDII codes or look at Live/Realtime data. Although the OBDII Apps can be downloaded in an instance, it takes days/weeks to get an OBDII interface to use your immediate gratification App. The absolute WORST thing you can do is be anxious and walk into your local auto parts store and buy an Orange tool. MAJOR FAIL, MAJOR WASTE OF MONEY, MAJOR EXPENSE and/or think a sensor is failed and just start buying and replacing sensors! The MAJORITY of things that trigger the SES/CEL/MIL are NOT failed or faulty sensors!

So be PROACTIVE, for under $30 get an OBDII App and interface NOW, before you need it. Get familiar with the App and your vehicle. Benchmark readings, know what the "norm" is for your vehicle, write down or document baseline parameters. Keep in mind, you can also identify and find problems with the vehicle BEFORE the SES/CEL/MIL is triggered. Just because there are not lights on the dash does not mean everything is 100% with the engine management system! It will same you a lot of headaches, time and money in the future if you are proactive and plan ahead.

With OBDII, buy early, use often, become familiar, ask questions, use your head. A simple, easy and cost effective way co-exist with your vehicle.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:59 AM   #38
Ferklee

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1436626730.847956.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	606083Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1436626743.113789.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	606084

Still don't know why I'd get flamed for the window tint. Still looks clean. :p
Old 07-11-2015, 10:11 AM   #39
Ferklee

Okay, last thing. I didn't put too much thought into it initially, but i will be road tripping here soon... I don't have a way to play my music other than that stupid radio transmitter i have from RadioShack. Is there an easy way to add an AUX port on my own?
Old 07-11-2015, 10:15 AM   #40
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
OP, it sounds like you are off to a good start! Definitely do the expansion tank, thermostat, water pump, belts and pulleys before long. It's a great investment and buys you some peace of mind.

Unless your radio has been replaced by an older model, you can get an AUX cable from a BMW dealer and plug it in directly. Do a search on here for info and instructions. I just realized you can ask your dealership's parts department to request parts from a BMW dealer and buy them at wholesale, which is fantastic.

The former North American president of the BMWCCA lives in Nashville (he owns the sweetest 1988 M5 I have ever seen.) From what I have been told, the chapter here is strong and active.

Last edited by vandyboy; 07-11-2015 at 10:21 AM.
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
325i 2005, bmw, sedan