E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2015, 07:26 AM   #1
Thate46Life

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
Coolant Leak Help

Hi guys, so I've had a coolant leak for so.E time now and iblve finally narrowed it down to one area. It seems to be coming from the firewall area near the engine. I can't reach it from under the car and I can't see it eigher. Does anyone know where it might be. Thanks for all the help.
Thate46Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:06 AM   #2
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
My Ride: 03 330iT SportWagon
Take your cabin filter and holder out. You should be able to see the heater hoses going into the firewall.

Over 2 Billion Served !

BMWCaptainE46.com
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:17 AM   #3
Thate46Life

Thanks I'll check there in a few minutes
Old 07-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
Thate46Life

I found the hoses. I don't see any visible leaks. Should I let the car warm up and then check them. Should I just take them off and look at them?
Old 07-14-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
BMW-North
// Quandt AG (Retired) //

My Ride: AMv8,e46x3,e90,e83
If the car isn't over heating it might be easier to find them with it running. You could always add a UV dye to the coolant and search using a black light - making it easier to trace the source.

If you think it's the heater hoses trace them back to the heater valve at the strut - maybe the heater valve is leaking?

If you are figuring the area of leak from the location on the ground bear in mind that the engine lower cover might deflect the leak totally away from where it leaked above.

The two hard plastic tubes that run under the intake are also a likely candidate for investigation
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:11 PM   #6
Thate46Life

Ok guys I checked the hoses at the firewall and followed them back to their ends and could not find any leaks. There is a hose coming of a plastic valve looking thing under the air intake. The hose on that goes down closer to the bottom of the car. I can't see where that one ends up but I think it might be my leaky hose.

I've been dealing with this for to long now and am starting to get annoyed with this. If I don't find it soon enough I will have to take it to a professional to get it fixed.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:37 PM   #7
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
If the leak has something to do with the hard coolant pipes under the intake, it may occur while driving and particularly while using the heating during driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thate46Life View Post
The hose on that goes down closer to the bottom of the car. I can't see where that one ends up but I think it might be my leaky hose.
One of these two pipes goes down and connects to the expansion tank via a rubber hose. This end is easily reachable if you remove the air box.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #8
illuminated

My Ride: '99 S2 M3 | 5MT
As others have mentioned, it sounds to me like one of your hard lines under your intake is shot. Either that or it's connection ET, which is easier to deal with. Just for assurance, you aren't seeing any coolant on your belts at the front of your engine block, are you? This would indicate WP or t-stat being bad and/or having a broken seal. Both easy fixes if you are relatively knowledgeable and have basic tools + torx.

F3RN

Need anything 3D printed? I'm your guy. Send me a pm
illuminated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:47 PM   #9
Staley

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i
I just changed the pipes under my intake manifold myself. It took me awhile to find the leak as well, it starts up behind the thermostat and usually runs down the drivers side of the engine block and down the back of the engine. My leak only occurred a couple minutes after my car was parked and pissed coolant for awhile then stopped once the system de pressurized. Just take out your air box and use a flashlight to check the area.

If you plan on taking the intake manifold off yourself and changing the pipes be prepared to find them both broken off inside the block of your engine. You should also change your entire CCV system while you're in there and of course the rest of your cooling system that hasn't been changed yet.

Could you describe the leak a bit more? Is it similar to mine or a slow steady drip?
Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #10
Thate46Life

Sorry for the late response. So I first noticed the leak one day while parked, I couldn't see where it was coming from due to the plastic shield. I then took the shield of one day and let the car warm up and determined it is coming from the firewall area closer to the right. I checked the two hoses that go into the firewall that are right below the cabin air filter. They seemed good to me but I didn't check the one that comes off the plastic valve thing. I was wondering if anyone knows all the part numbers so I could just replace it all in one go.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:11 PM   #11
Thate46Life

It's a slow drip.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:18 PM   #12
BMW-North

Slow drip, especially overnight with the engine off tends to be the lower rad hose coolant temperature sensor o-ring. Maybe it's just running toward the back on the lower engine cover.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #13
Thate46Life

I don't have a sensor in the bottom of my expansion tank. Could that cause the leak, it seems to far away.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:56 PM   #14
BMW-North

It isn't at the ET - it's over on the other side of the rad - there is a temp sensor there that pugs into the top of the hose coming from the bottom of the rad.

Described well with pics here:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm
Old 07-21-2015, 03:07 PM   #15
Thate46Life

Ok I know where that is. But would that cause dripping on the opposite rear side of the engine?
Old 07-21-2015, 03:14 PM   #16
BMW-North

I had a leak at that o-ring a few years back and it took me months to figure out where it was coming from as the drip on the driveway was at the back on the opposite side. The coolant was running along the lower engine plastic cover and dripping off the opposite back corner.

It's a simple and cheap test- The o-ring is only a buck or two and takes a couple of mins to swap it. After the car has been turned off for an hour or two feel under the hose (plastic part of hose) where the sensor is first to see if it's wet there. Coolant doesn't evaporate as fast as water so remnants may remain. If you've never chnaged this o-ring it's long overdue anyway. If this isn't the leak you continue on searching.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:48 PM   #17
Thate46Life

Ok so I checked the temp sensor and I see no issues with it. I let the car warm up with the plastic shield off and the drip is coming from rear driver side of the car. And now my ac isn't working either. When I turn it on while driving it starts cold for about 3-5 seconds then it goes warm and smells funny. If I turn it on while stopped the driver side is cold and each vent gets gradually warm the closer to the passenger side.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:25 AM   #18
Thate46Life

Anyone have any idea?
Old 07-27-2015, 08:55 AM   #19
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
O-ring on the temp sensor in the lower radiator hose connection needs to be replaced every 5 years.

Just take the 10 minutes and replace the O-ring, it needs to be changed anyway. Part number is the last item in my signature.

I keep these stupid O-rings on hand I see so many leaking.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:09 AM   #20
Thate46Life

I'll replace the o ring but I do not think it is that as my heater and ac do not work now and my heater hasn't worked since I got this leak and I don't see the little o ring on my temp sensor doing all that.

Tags
323ci, coolant, hose, leak, overheating