E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
Medina9696

My Ride: 330ci
New member,need your opinions and help.

Hello people!(a lil bit about myself) I am currently 17 years old turning 18 this November. Ive been working and saving money for three consecutive summers and i finally saved enough $ to buy my second car in cash.Im planning to buy a 2002 330i coupe by the end of this month(july) or early of august.I was just wondering what are some good aftermarket performance parts for a 330i,like cold air intakes,exhausts,tunes,coilovers etc(please be specific)
Medina9696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
riotrhythm

My Ride: '06 325Ci
Not to sound like a broken record, but you should worry about the maintenance of a 13 year old german car before you worry about performance mods and aesthetic mods. I just turned 18 and bought my E46 when I was 16. So far, I've put about three thousand into maintaining it and mine is a 2006. BMWS, especially the E46 are not cars you can just pay for and be done with it. They're totally different beasts. They require preventative maintenance to keep on the road.

Last edited by riotrhythm; 07-15-2015 at 11:26 AM.
riotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #3
joehotpiscopo

My Ride: 2003 E46 330xi
^^^^^ What he said
joehotpiscopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Performance parts won't do you any good when your car's overheating and farting oil out of random places around the engine.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #5
erickonphoenix

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
Depending on the level of upkeep you should plan on putting $800 to $1000 in unexpected repairs the first year.

My sample was meticulously maintained but a bad idler pulley threw the belt and savaged the cooling system. Then I had a cam position sensor go bad followed soon after by a knocking control arm. I would spend a year getting acquainted with your car before doing any modifications to it.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:05 PM   #6
IPDF

My Ride: 2002 330i
Welcome! Definitely what everyone has been telling you. Get everything up to speed as far as maintenance or you'll go broke modding up a car that has issues. Get it right, then mod.
IPDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #7
SilberVogel

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
There’s a reason for the “maintenance over mods” replies to new owners of a thirteen-year-old BMW, and would recommend reading the links below if you're just getting into the platform. There’s a lot of information, but all great advice and years of experience in there. If you take the time to read through the following, you'll be a step ahead of most new owners and have a better idea of what you’re getting into. Not meant to discourage by any means, just educate.

Buying an E46 (Wiki): http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...#Buying_an_E46
A Buyers Guide for the E46 (Part 1): http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1007722
A Buyers Guide for the E46 (Part 2): http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...3#post16061691

As far as your original questions on aftermarket performance parts, search the forums and you’ll find plenty of answers. Welcome!

DIYs help you save money with repairs; let www.bmwpnpc.com help you save money with the parts.
SilberVogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #8
joehotpiscopo

My Ride: 2003 E46 330xi
Extremely helpful as always, SilberVogel. You're always respectful and welcoming and always provide tons of great info. One of the reasons I'm here (and BimmerForums). Just wanted to say Thanks!
joehotpiscopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:35 PM   #9
SilberVogel

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehotpiscopo View Post
Extremely helpful as always, SilberVogel. You're always respectful and welcoming and always provide tons of great info. One of the reasons I'm here (and BimmerForums). Just wanted to say Thanks!
Thank you for the kind words, and always happy to help. Just returning the favor for all the times I needed/found help here. Knew very little when I first bought my car, so hope to better enable a younger me out there somewhere.

DIYs help you save money with repairs; let www.bmwpnpc.com help you save money with the parts.
SilberVogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:20 PM   #10
Medina9696

My Ride: 330ci
Thanks guys for actually replying,and to be dead honest i didnt even take to consideration on the "maintenance" part of owning a bmw.I own a ford focus right now and its quite simple to maintain .Hopefully my new bmw is too.ill keep u guys updated,but for right now im going to lay low on the perfomace parts and take it one step at a time!
Medina9696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:48 PM   #11
stitch91626

My Ride: 330i
Help!!

My name is Zach and am looking to buy a 2001 330I with 180000 on it. I cant seem to find very much on this model.. The guy said the brake light wont go off and that the service engine soon light just came on. Also the the vents only blow out cold air.. I know I have to get the service engine soon light looked at with an obd2 tool. Dude said it might be power steering pump.What do all think? Are they common problems ?
stitch91626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:54 PM   #12
stitch91626

My Ride: 330i
Help!!

My name is Zach and am looking to buy a 2001 330I with 180000 on it. I cant seem to find very much on this model.. The guy said the brake light wont go off and that the service engine soon light just came on. Also the the vents only blow out cold air.. I know I have to get the service engine soon light looked at with an obd2 tool. Dude said it might be power steering pump.What do all think? Are they common problems ?

http://boulder.craigslist.org/cto/5376558075.html
stitch91626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330i, help a noob, new car