Funny noise turning car off - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2015, 02:16 PM   #1
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Funny noise turning car off

Title says it all. When I turn off my car, typically after longer drives, it'll make this noise. It's always done it, but it's gotten much louder and about 3x longer in duration as of the past couple days. I used the advanced search here but didn't find anything on it. I'm not too worried since it only happens when the car is off, but any ideas? I appreciate it

Kind of sounds like a moaning cow

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tm1kumdj6e..._7917.MOV?dl=0

Note: it may ask you to sign up, but you can just x it out
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:32 PM   #2
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
Is that an automatic transmission car? Could be the clutch/bushings on the mechanical fan on their way out. If that is the case you should be worried.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i, '11 Z435i
You weren't searching using the right terms. Instead of "moaning cow" you should have used the technical descriptions used around here which are "Chewbacca" or "Wookie".

In any case, it's more than likely that it's your CVV system that needs an overhaul.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #4
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yewzer B Lewzer View Post
Is that an automatic transmission car? Could be the clutch/bushings on the mechanical fan on their way out. If that is the case you should be worried.
Read into this and I assume you mean worried as in the repercussions of not fixing it, rather than the price! *few!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
You weren't searching using the right terms. Instead of "moaning cow" you should have used the technical descriptions used around here which are "Chewbacca" or "Wookie".

In any case, it's more than likely that it's your CVV system that needs an overhaul.
I read into this as well, and it seems this is cheap as well! But intensive labor ***128534; Unfortunately for me, I'm not mechanically inclined enough to be willing to do this on my own, so the mechanic will win this one.

In either case, it seems the money I've been saving to take care of the clunk in my car will have to wait again ***128533; for my poor Sophia (name of my car) has more urgent things to be taken care of. Big thanks to the community again.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #5
Simmsled

My Ride: 04 330i, 03 325xi
Chewbacca sighting confirmed.

Simmsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:07 PM   #6
Yewzer B Lewzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
Read into this and I assume you mean worried as in the repercussions of not fixing it, rather than the price! *few!*

Yes exactly. Tangent is probably correct with his diagnosis however but don't rule it out.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #7
YoitsTmac

Well as of today, the intake fan no longer runs. I've experienced a huge loss in power today while just cruising. I don't know if it's related to the chewbacka noise, but it hasn't made any noises now that the fan has died. It won't start in first at all, and doesn't accelerate too quick in second, but it runs fine with really casual driving. The error code P0340 came up, but no check engine light. Odd, she'll be in the shop come Monday :/
Old 09-26-2015, 08:06 PM   #8
Yewzer B Lewzer

What's an intake fan?
Old 09-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #9
YoitsTmac

Quote:
What's an intake fan?
I'm sorry, I'm using language that makes sense to a novice like me. To me, it's the front fan, it seems to lead to the box closest to the driver headlight, which I believe is intake. The fan directly next to my engine still spins, which seems to be for cooling and such. I now drive with my Coolant temp gauge in my hand
Old 09-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #10
Yewzer B Lewzer

Ok. Both fans are for cooling you are referring to the aux fan which supplements the mechanical fan next to the engine. It does happen to be near the intake so I understand your confusion. Is it hot when not running properly?
Old 09-26-2015, 08:18 PM   #11
Yewzer B Lewzer

P0340 is intake cam position sensor. Easy fix and I would expect it to run badly.

Last edited by Yewzer B Lewzer; 09-26-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:19 PM   #12
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Ok. Both fans are for cooling you are referring to the aux fan which supplements the mechanical fan next to the engine. It does happen to be near the intake so I understand your confusion. Is it hot when not running properly?
It was fine last night. I drove it casually but gunned first gear to 30mph about 18 hours ago with no problems. Then today my friend and I were going to go shopping for his girlfriend in my car (because I love giving people rides in my car, they pay gas because my car doesn't run on friendship) and I was trying to squeeze in between two cars when turning into an intersection and there was just no power, at all. Incredibly slow, slower than my moms Hyundai Elantra. We both noticed the issue and I wondered if it didn't shift right or something; a hiccup. I stopped and then gunned it but felt no pull, at all. I checked under the hood for weird smells or noises, but nothing. We returned to his car and when we got out, he pointed out the fan wasn't spinning at all. I feel that explains the lack of power. There was no check engine or service engine soon light.

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 09-26-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #13
YoitsTmac

I'm currently trying to see if my battery is the cause of it (this page said it could be http://engine-codes.com/p0340_bmw.html ), I just can't find what the normal voltage should be in the diagnostic gauges (holding down the button in the cluster, 19, 9) I think it may be because 100% of the time, if I switch the ignition off to auxiliary, it will never start again until it goes into the first position again. I also had a really hard time leaving school the other day too. Got in the car after it sat for 2 hours and it took about am minute to start. (trying on and off. Locking car and getting back in)

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 09-26-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:33 PM   #14
Yewzer B Lewzer

Should be 14.6 volts or so when running. I think the OBC does something weird with the decimal point however.

Last edited by Yewzer B Lewzer; 09-26-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:43 PM   #15
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Should be 14.6 volts or so when running. I think the OBC does something weird with the decimal point however.
Then the cause of this issue was the battery. At rest it's at around 11.6 (which is below optimal according this thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1085870 ) and with everything on it was just at 14V. Ironically enough, chewbacka came back when I turned my car back off after testing that.

With that being said, is it safe for me to drive 20 miles or so at highway speeds to my mechanic? Or even my two mile commute to school? I let my car sit until it's out of the blue before I even drive it, and I assume I can as long as I drive gently, which I usually do of gas mileage reasons. It just needs to have enough air flow in to meet the fuel to air ratio, right?

Ugh damn it. I guess there's my new Apple TV and black Friday

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 09-26-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #16
Yewzer B Lewzer

It should be running fine if it is at 14 volts while running. Sounds like your battery may be going if it is only 11.6 when off. Also it sounds like you need the mechanic to diagnose...
Old 09-26-2015, 09:00 PM   #17
YoitsTmac

Quote:
It should be running fine if it is at 14 volts while running. Sounds like your battery may be going if it is only 11.6 when off. Also it sounds like you need the mechanic to diagnose...
I agree, I just didn't know if it was safe to drive that far with that fan not spinning. I guess as long as I'm check my coolant temp gets no higher than 99C ish, I'm good. It looks like the sensor and the battery are "easy" fixes, so I guess I'll do them with a video beside me. Just have to find which battery I'll buy (I hear DL49 isn't popular anymore) and order the part.

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 09-26-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:07 AM   #18
YoitsTmac

Well ironically enough, when I made an appointment to get it fixed, I checked my computer and the issue is gone, and my car is running as well as usual! I think it went away the next time I drove it. I drove it the following Monday and it seemed to lose all its symptoms and was gone Tuesday when I checked the computer! Sorry for the late update
Old 10-06-2015, 12:54 AM   #19
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Uh, not so fast slick. Problems don't just go away. They lay in wait for just the right opportunity to get ya. Like on a date, far from any service station or cell signal, at the beach, etc. Don't assume the car fixed itself, they never do.

Your ignition switch might be on its way out. Something electrical is wrong with your car. Read all the trouble codes and battery voltage with your OBDII interface and smartphone app and post them here.

When the engine is off, the battery voltage should be at least 12.6V.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:51 AM   #20
YoitsTmac

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
Uh, not so fast slick. Problems don't just go away. They lay in wait for just the right opportunity to get ya. Like on a date, far from any service station or cell signal, at the beach, etc. Don't assume the car fixed itself, they never do.

Your ignition switch might be on its way out. Something electrical is wrong with your car. Read all the trouble codes and battery voltage with your OBDII interface and smartphone app and post them here.

When the engine is off, the battery voltage should be at least 12.6V.
Well naturally you tell me my dear could be in trouble so I rushed down to give the E46 community my data. I assume I have a problem here? I have a video of my cars voltage from off to on here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tsoslzzdbm...ltage.mov?dl=0

On my app, the code was under "pending codes," as P0340 crankshaft position sensor A circuit bank 1 (intake I'm told). But perhaps it came up due to low voltage? I guess this means I need to fork out big bucks for a new battery? I'm trying to save up for bushings. I just learned I paid for only one to get fixed, but it was all three that needed replacing, I just wasn't in the money then. The code cleared on my cars computer. I've left the screenshot below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8721.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	614389  

Tags
ignition off, long drives, moan, sound