Will E36 M3 Top/Strut Mounts fit on an non M E46? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #1
danb8

My Ride: BMW E46
Will E36 M3 Top/Strut Mounts fit on an non M E46?

Hi Guys,

I have searched high and low for this information using the search feature on this site and on google but I'm struggling to get a definitive answer. Being from the UK I know these as top mounts.

I have a set of coilovers but they don't have camber plates. I know you can buy them separately but I don't have the budget for the Turner ones (the ones i'd really have due to camber and caster adjustment), and I know you can get them from eBay for cheap but in my experience, cheap often means not good and the eBay specials don't adjust for caster - only camber.

I know from past experience that you can put the 96+ E36 M3 top mounts on a non m E36 and reverse the sides they mount to (right to left and vice versa) for more caster and more camber (albeit fixed) then use the offset RCAB to centre the wheel.

I have already sourced the Z4M offset bushes for the 66mm lollipop but just need to know if fitting the E36 M3 96+ top mounts will work.

I know there are many knowledgable people here so any help would be appreciated.

This is all that I can find on this matter - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1050431

But it doesn't say whether he used this setup for a while other than trying it out for the sake of it.

Has anyone done this mod and run it for a while?

Thanks in advance

DanB UK
danb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
Rob43

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Can you provide a good quality pic of your Exact coilovers so I can see the spring package, & can take a measurement of the threaded shaft that will go up through the strut bearing or camber plates.

EDIT: Have you mounted your Z4M bushings into the lollipops yet ? If you haven't, don't do it until I give you some info.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.

Last edited by Rob43; 10-27-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
danb8

Thanks for the reply Rob,

The coilovers are Spax RSX - Pretty well known and respected in other circles across Europe - They are secondhand but only 5 months old from Demon Tweeks.

I haven't mounted the Z4M bushes yet as the car is still unmodified. I'm collecting all the parts I want/need before I get it ready for spring next year. I plan on a doing track days - Donnington, Brands, Croft, Anglesey, Nurburgring etc, but it's still going to be my DD so thats why I thought that OEM Strut Mounts may work better as I know the pillow ball mounts can be a little harsh on a daily basis - especially here in the UK where the roads are not the best, even more so where I live.

I have attached a few pics for you to have a look at - sorry but I only have an iPhone.

I know the helper springs are the wrong way round as the person I brought them from had stripped them down to clean them up but he didn't fit them as per the engineering diagram that came from Spax.

The Strut Mount's they are on at the moment are OEM E46 items so I assume/believe the inner diameter is 14mm - though I haven't got my caliper on to check myself yet as I only got them last weekend and are yet to take them apart to correct the springs.

I hope you have enough info to go on Rob, but if not I will strip them over the weekend, measure the diameter, and post some better pics of the piston end.

Thanks

DanB UK

I've just realised that I can measure the threaded shaft without striping them down - As suspected it's 14mm which I believe is non m size.

Last edited by danb8; 10-27-2015 at 03:49 PM. Reason: More information
Old 10-27-2015, 04:41 PM   #4
Rob43

Here is the answer to all your dreams, these are Silver Project E46 Camber Caster plates from Poland. I've been running them on my H&R Race springs & they work great. Your new range of adjustment will be about 1.8 degrees. They'll cost you about $119 shipped, but except to wait roughly 2 weeks for delivery.

http://silverproject.eu/en/shop/bmw/.../?currency=USD

Rob43
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1411239494740.2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	616409  

Quote:
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
danb8

Thanks for your response and info Rob,

They look ideal as they adjust for camber and caster. How do you find the NVH on these? Would they be suitable for a daily driver with occasional track use.

Sorry to be a pain but if I felt compelled to use E36 M3 96+ top mounts would they work? The only reason I ask is I can get hold of a pair of brand new OEM M3 mounts for $40 dollars from a friend of a friend and I'm on a tight budget.

Thanks again for taking the time out to answer my questions Rob.

Dan
Old 10-27-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
danb8

Another question Rob,

Would the Silver Project Drift 3D type with the shorter collar be better suited for me as I would like to run the car low but I'm thinking with a shorter collar I would be able to have more damper travel.

Thanks

Dan
Old 10-27-2015, 09:29 PM   #7
Rob43

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb8 View Post
Thanks for your response and info Rob,

They look ideal as they adjust for camber and caster. How do you find the NVH on these? Would they be suitable for a daily driver with occasional track use.

I don't really notice any extra NVH, but maybe others would, it seems totally fine to me. Another thing that could be done would be to put a tough/hard rubber washer in-between the coilover spring & the camber caster plates instead of the thinner steel washer.

Sorry to be a pain but if I felt compelled to use E36 M3 96+ top mounts would they work? The only reason I ask is I can get hold of a pair of brand new OEM M3 mounts for $40 dollars from a friend of a friend and I'm on a tight budget.

I've simply not researched this, so the only thing I could tell you would be to take your friends part & test fit it.

Thanks again for taking the time out to answer my questions Rob.

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by danb8 View Post
Another question Rob,

Would the Silver Project Drift 3D type with the shorter collar be better suited for me as I would like to run the car low but I'm thinking with a shorter collar I would be able to have more damper travel.

Thanks

Dan
Again it's not something I've used, looked into, or tested. It sounds like it would work in your specific application, but I think that you should call or Email Demon Tweeks & discuss it with them.

Rob43

Quote:
Old 10-28-2015, 05:28 AM   #8
danb8

Thanks for all your help on this Rob. I think I'm going to budget for those top mounts you recommend as in my eyes it's worth paying a little extra to have adjustability.

Even if the E36 Strut amounts do fit I would be stuck with whatever setting they gave me.

Thanks Again Rob
Old 11-11-2015, 06:15 PM   #9
Maxjr

My Ride: 2004 330ci zhp
I'm interested to hear if there are others here who have used E36 M3 front strut mounts as an alternative to camber/caster plates. Seems to be popular with the non-m E36 guys and I've read in another thread where an individual confirmed they bolt up in an e46 non-m chasis.

I currently have Z4M fcab offset bushings and love them. I would like to increase caster more if it provides better turn in. I looked at the Silver Project camber/caster plates, but I have concerns about them being too thin where the caster adjustments are made.

Last edited by Maxjr; 11-11-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Maxjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:49 PM   #10
Rob43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr View Post
I'm interested to hear if there are others here who have used E36 M3 front strut mounts as an alternative to camber/caster plates. Seems to be popular with the non-m E36 guys and I've read in another thread where an individual confirmed they bolt up in an e46 non-m chasis.

I currently have Z4M fcab offset bushings and love them. I would like to increase caster more if it provides better turn in. I looked at the Silver Project camber/caster plates, but I have concerns about them being too thin where the caster adjustments are made.
You should have 0% concerns with the Silver Project Camber / Caster plates, I've beat on them hard at the race track,........they're just as perfect as the day they were installed.

Rob43

Quote:
Old 11-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #11
Maxjr

My Ride: 2004 330ci zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
You should have 0% concerns with the Silver Project Camber / Caster plates, I've beat on them hard at the race track,........they're just as perfect as the day they were installed.

Rob43
Hi Rob,

That's great to hear that they are holding up great. Are the spherical bearings replaceable in the Silver Project caster/camber plates?

Also, what are your street caster, camber & toe settings?

Maxjr
Maxjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #12
Rob43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxjr View Post
Hi Rob,

That's great to hear that they are holding up great. Are the spherical bearings replaceable in the Silver Project caster/camber plates?

Also, what are your street caster, camber & toe settings?

Maxjr

I believe they're a throwaway when they fail, but realize if you had to buy 3 sets of these over a long period of time that you'd still be financially ahead of buying a single ~$400 plus dollar set. I can't remember all of my alignment settings, but my camber is set to about neg. ~1.5 for street use. What's interesting is that my H&R Race springs gave me about neg. 1.8 / 1.9 the moment they were installed because of the drop.

Rob43

Quote:

Tags
e36, m3, non m, top mounts