E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
m3daddy

My Ride: 2005 M3 SMG Cabrio
E46 OEM Nav to BT Upgrade Options??

Hello All, I have an 05 M3 with the factory nav and the 16:9 screen. It does not appear to have the Harmon Kardon upgrade. What I'd like to do is add BT, aux input and possibly a rear camera option if available. I've heard of a DICE (?) option or something that can a TV tuner or something but I cant find anything online. Any advice or leads would be greatly appreciated. What I do not want to do is change the head unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	025 (2).jpg
Views:	147
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	617256  
m3daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
HOODY007

My Ride: '04 330ci
You can add in a Bluetooth TCU (not a ULF- much more expensive). They were commonly found the 2006 X5s. Search the forums for instructions... You might already have bluetooth, actually- does your menu show a entry for "telephone?" Aux is available as a retrofit kit here. For the backup camera, buy a widescreen BMW TV tuner, retrofit wiring harness, and hook up a reverse camera to the RCA inputs.

Hope that helps!

P.S. If you update your MK4, you can also get 3D maps, as well as improved speed. Link to software is here http://e39source.com/NavFiles/v32-Stock.iso. Burn to a CD with your CD burning program of choice (if on a Mac, you can use Disk Utility, included on every Mac), open the drivers door, insert the Cd into the nav computer, and update. DO NOT close your drivers door during the upgrade process.

Last edited by HOODY007; 11-06-2015 at 04:37 PM.
HOODY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #3
m3daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOODY007 View Post
You can add in a Bluetooth TCU (not a ULF- much more expensive). They were commonly found the 2006 X5s. Search the forums for instructions... You might already have bluetooth, actually- does your menu show a entry for "telephone?" Aux is available as a retrofit kit here. For the backup camera, buy a widescreen BMW TV tuner, retrofit wiring harness, and hook up a reverse camera to the RCA inputs.

Hope that helps!

P.S. If you update your MK4, you can also get 3D maps, as well as improved speed. Link to software is here http://e39source.com/NavFiles/v32-Stock.iso. Burn to a CD with your CD burning program of choice (if on a Mac, you can use Disk Utility, included on every Mac), open the drivers door, insert the Cd into the nav computer, and update. DO NOT close your drivers door during the upgrade process.

many thanks for the info. I will do this today. Must I still update at the dealership for text and stuff?
Old 11-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #4
HOODY007

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3daddy View Post
many thanks for the info. I will do this today. Must I still update at the dealership for text and stuff?
What do you mean by "text"?
Old 11-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
m3daddy

I was looking at installing a Dension Gateway but read that in order for it to work the dealer would have to program the head unit to enable text or something.

Where can I find the Bluetooth kit for this unit?
Old 11-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #6
HOODY007

Bluetooth TCU:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1417778...chn=ps&lpid=82

You might need the antenna as well; about $20 at your local BMW dealer.

As far as the Dension is concerned, the text should show up fine; your radio tuner should be new enough.

Last edited by HOODY007; 11-09-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #7
m3daddy

I really appreciate all your help. I've found the tv tuner and this bt tcu my next question is will I also need the wiring harnesses? I've seen both on eBay with and without the harnesses
Old 11-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #8
m3daddy

I guess I only need to know if I'll need the harnesses as well or if my car should come pre-wired. Sounds like this should cover all of my concerns about the technology on this car. I do plan on buying both the TV tuner and the Bluetooth TCU

Last edited by m3daddy; 11-09-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:37 AM   #9
HOODY007

Quote:
I guess I only need to know if I'll need the harnesses as well or if my car should come pre-wired. Sounds like this should cover all of my concerns about the technology on this car. I do plan on buying both the TV tuner and the Bluetooth TCU

Your car should have the TCU harness wrapped up in tape at the rear of the right side of the trunk. TV tuner will require a slave cable.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #10
m3daddy

Quote:
Your car should have the TCU harness wrapped up in tape at the rear of the right side of the trunk. TV tuner will require a slave cable.
Where might I find this slave cable?
Old 11-10-2015, 05:40 PM   #11
HOODY007

Quote:
Where might I find this slave cable?
This website should have everything you need. http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_TV_Navg...tructions.html
Old 11-11-2015, 09:17 AM   #12
m3daddy

Quote:
This website should have everything you need. http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_TV_Navg...tructions.html
I clicked on the link and it said no product found. I truly do appreciate all your insight on this project.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #13
texas_touring

My Ride: 2003 325xiT
Don't forget to also get the bluetooth antenna (goes under rear ashtray) and the microphone (for up by the sunroof switch)! These parts, as well as a good guide for installing the bluetooth retrofit, can all be found at BimmerNav.
texas_touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #14
HOODY007

Quote:
I clicked on the link and it said no product found. I truly do appreciate all your insight on this project.
Oh! Didn't realize that... I hadn't been on their website for quite some time. I'll see if I can't find the part number for the TV wiring harness.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:52 PM   #15
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:

Hope that helps!

Is there a thread anywhere that explains how to perform this update to the 3d maps in detail? Thanks man
Old 11-14-2015, 09:24 PM   #16
HOODY007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
Is there a thread anywhere that explains how to perform this update to the 3d maps in detail? Thanks man

See step 8.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69732
Old 11-29-2015, 12:38 AM   #17
m3daddy

I got the TV tuner and it came with a few harnesses. Will I need more?
Sorry, I tried to attach it from my phone but it did not let me.
What is the slave cable you mentioned? That website link was no good
Old 11-29-2015, 12:39 AM   #18
m3daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_touring View Post
Don't forget to also get the bluetooth antenna (goes under rear ashtray) and the microphone (for up by the sunroof switch)! These parts, as well as a good guide for installing the bluetooth retrofit, can all be found at BimmerNav.
And where can I get these?
Old 11-29-2015, 01:13 AM   #19
m3daddy

Attached is the pic of the harnesses that came with the TV tuner I got. Let me know if they look appropriate and if I may need anything more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	077.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	618751  

Tags
aux input, bluetooth, nav