E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2015, 12:40 AM   #1
Aventador_nb

My Ride: E46 323i
Best tires for 18 x 8.5 rims?

So I searched for this on the forums too, but everyone seems split.. I want to get tires that I can get rotated. I am going to buy 18 x 8.5 (40 offset) rims. What would be the best looking tires for a set up in which I can get the tires rotated? I also don't want any tire rubbing on a stock setup, with no fender rolling.
Aventador_nb is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:59 AM   #2
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventador_nb View Post
So I searched for this on the forums too, but everyone seems split.. I want to get tires that I can get rotated. I am going to buy 18 x 8.5 (40 offset) rims. What would be the best looking tires for a set up in which I can get the tires rotated? I also don't want any tire rubbing on a stock setup, with no fender rolling.
You have 3 good tire size choices for a square 18" setup:

1) 225/40-18

2) 235/40-18

3) 245/35-18

One & three will typically be the lightest, light is good. Look up these tire sizes on forum sponsor Tire Rack.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.

Last edited by Rob43; 12-22-2015 at 01:09 AM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:24 AM   #3
Pole position
OEM ///Member

My Ride: E46 330ci
Best tires for 18 x 8.5 rims?

I have used all of those sizes and they all work well. They should not rub at all, and you may even be able to use wheel spacers after seeing how much room you have left to get them as flush as you like with the fenders. I am currently running the 235/40-18 setup for some more pothole protection of my rims. They are a tiny bit larger, but it's not really noticeable, and I haven't had a bent rim since switching to this size. I run them on all four corners as well.

Also. Do you want all-seasons for everyday driving or some aggressive summer street tires...or something in the middle? Many things to consider. Continental makes some damn good tires in my opinion though. Cant go wrong with the DWS or DW depending on what your looking for.

Last edited by Pole position; 12-22-2015 at 01:25 AM.
Pole position is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:58 AM   #4
Aventador_nb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole position View Post
I have used all of those sizes and they all work well. They should not rub at all, and you may even be able to use wheel spacers after seeing how much room you have left to get them as flush as you like with the fenders. I am currently running the 235/40-18 setup for some more pothole protection of my rims. They are a tiny bit larger, but it's not really noticeable, and I haven't had a bent rim since switching to this size. I run them on all four corners as well.

Also. Do you want all-seasons for everyday driving or some aggressive summer street tires...or something in the middle? Many things to consider. Continental makes some damn good tires in my opinion though. Cant go wrong with the DWS or DW depending on what your looking for.
Very honestly speaking? Literally the cheapest tire at the moment. I'm buying rims and my dad's paying for the tires. Don't want him to go all out and get some Continentals or Pirellis. I'll probably just get all seasons. I'm not TOO much of an aggressive driver, my E46 has 150k on it. I drive mostly sensibly, apart from the few drag races I do with friends
The ones I've been looking at are 235/40/18, from some weird brand named Nankang. They're literally just $70 a piece. They seem like decent products, I think 40k mile warranty. Sounds good enough to me :/

Last edited by Aventador_nb; 12-22-2015 at 01:59 AM.
Aventador_nb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:02 AM   #5
Aventador_nb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
You have 3 good tire size choices for a square 18" setup:

1) 225/40-18

2) 235/40-18

3) 245/35-18

One & three will typically be the lightest, light is good. Look up these tire sizes on forum sponsor Tire Rack.

Rob43
I think I'm going for the 235/40/18 set up. How is that heavier than the 245s lol
That literally makes no sense to me. I'm worried that the 245s will rub in the front.. Also, the 245s are much higher priced compared to 235s. I'll have an update as to what I do and which ones I go with
Old 12-22-2015, 02:10 AM   #6
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
I think I'm going for the 235/40/18 set up. How is that heavier than the 245s lol
That literally makes no sense to me. I'm worried that the 245s will rub in the front.. Also, the 245s are much higher priced compared to 235s. I'll have an update as to what I do and which ones I go with
There's a reason the 245's are lighter in this situation, I'm going to let you learn this stuff so you understand it.

BTW, 245's won't rub in the front with the wheels you have listed.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:28 AM   #7
Aventador_nb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
There's a reason the 245's are lighter in this situation, I'm going to let you learn this stuff so you understand it.

BTW, 245's won't rub in the front with the wheels you have listed.

Rob43
Thanks friend! I'll be spending quite a bit of my time on the forums now.. I wanna go hella deep in my customization.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:59 AM   #8
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
If you're looking for summers the Bridgestone potenza re 760s are fantastic and probably the best tire for the money.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:14 AM   #9
Aventador_nb

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
If you're looking for summers the Bridgestone potenza re 760s are fantastic and probably the best tire for the money.
I meant to ask best size, not the best overall tire. I actually want something cheap as **** lol
Old 12-22-2015, 07:42 AM   #10
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
On the inexpensive end of the spectrum, I'll only tell you to avoid Sumitomo HTRZ-II like the plague that they are. Absolutely the WORST tire I've ever driven on. Horrible tire. I've had a lot of luck with Kumho.

As far as all season go, when I bent two of my 18" wheels I quickly threw on my 17" wheels and quickly had to buy tires. I installed Kumho AS tires. They were certainly OK. When I finally got my 18" fixed and bought new Conti DWs, I could NOT believe how much better the ride was. I waited to order my Contis until they went on sale WITH a rebate offer though.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:13 PM   #11
Aventador_nb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
On the inexpensive end of the spectrum, I'll only tell you to avoid Sumitomo HTRZ-II like the plague that they are. Absolutely the WORST tire I've ever driven on. Horrible tire. I've had a lot of luck with Kumho.

As far as all season go, when I bent two of my 18" wheels I quickly threw on my 17" wheels and quickly had to buy tires. I installed Kumho AS tires. They were certainly OK. When I finally got my 18" fixed and bought new Conti DWs, I could NOT believe how much better the ride was. I waited to order my Contis until they went on sale WITH a rebate offer though.
That's crazy because the Sumitomos are like $100 a piece.. and these Nankang tires are like $69 a piece. I've bought really nice Hankook tires for $67 a piece before.. but those were 205/55-R16. And they were on some kinda rebate deal. Do you suggest that I don't get the cheap ass tires and just get something decent? Or maybe something used that's in really good condition? I don't wanna spend $120 per tire :'(
By the way, Bridgestone makes some really nice SUV tires. Just for future reference.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #12
Geo31
Ironman

Hard for me to make a recommendation for something I've not experienced first-hand. I wouldn't talk you OUT of the choice you listed. I probably wouldn't buy them myself, but I'm in a TOTALLY different place in my life.

In the past I've bought tires that just keep the wheels off the ground until I could get something better.

Look, in the end, if you don't over-drive your tires, then any of them will be fine. You have to start getting experiences somehow. You'll develop your own preferences over time.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #13
Aventador_nb

Quote:
Hard for me to make a recommendation for something I've not experienced first-hand. I wouldn't talk you OUT of the choice you listed. I probably wouldn't buy them myself, but I'm in a TOTALLY different place in my life.

In the past I've bought tires that just keep the wheels off the ground until I could get something better.

Look, in the end, if you don't over-drive your tires, then any of them will be fine. You have to start getting experiences somehow. You'll develop your own preferences over time.
I like how you're giving life advice along with auto advice
I don't drive that rash. Which is why I feel like any tire will be fine. I'm just thinking that a tire won't like fall off.. if I just drive regular and sometimes do drag races.. tires are supposed to last through that heat.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:58 PM   #14
Geo31
Ironman

Some people here freak out if you buy anything but the best, but life is life. Learn, but try to learn without doing anything stupid.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:44 PM   #15
Aventador_nb

Quote:
Some people here freak out if you buy anything but the best, but life is life. Learn, but try to learn without doing anything stupid.
Lol come on! It's an E46. I'm not gonna spend tens of thousands on a car that's 15 years old. Maybe when I have loads of money or something. I'm still a student.. so just taking it slow. After the rims and tires, I'm planning to do underbody led lights along with a carbon fiber interior kit. I'll put my progress here as it goes on. Right now, I'm getting my valve cover gasket changed, and my hood cable replaced. I've already gone through a cooling system rehaul, because I blew an engine and replaced it with a slightly newer (and larger) one.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:09 PM   #16
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Lol come on! It's an E46. I'm not gonna spend tens of thousands on a car that's 15 years old. Maybe when I have loads of money or something. I'm still a student.. so just taking it slow. After the rims and tires, I'm planning to do underbody led lights along with a carbon fiber interior kit. I'll put my progress here as it goes on. Right now, I'm getting my valve cover gasket changed, and my hood cable replaced. I've already gone through a cooling system rehaul, because I blew an engine and replaced it with a slightly newer (and larger) one.

I agree. But take it from an (relatively) old man... Ditch the underbody lights. Be cool and have a well maintained, functional car. You're showing wisdom in your approach already. The cost of those underbody lights would be better deployed elsewhere IMHO. Long-term you're more likely to end up with a car you're proud of if you do.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:04 PM   #17
Aventador_nb

Quote:

I agree. But take it from an (relatively) old man... Ditch the underbody lights. Be cool and have a well maintained, functional car. You're showing wisdom in your approach already. The cost of those underbody lights would be better deployed elsewhere IMHO. Long-term you're more likely to end up with a car you're proud of if you do.
Relatively old man :p
Well, what else can you do to make your car shine in your opinion? I do sometimes find underbody lights tacky, but feel like it could be tastefully done. It would cost at least $200 to buy and install, so where else can the $200 be used? Work is currently in progress. Just got the valve cover and spark plugs changed.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:06 PM   #18
Aventador_nb

Here's some pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1450839874546.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	620458   Click image for larger version

Name:	1450839883664.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	620459   Click image for larger version

Name:	1450839961281.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	620460  
Old 12-22-2015, 11:09 PM   #19
Geo31
Ironman

Heck, for $200 I'd go to Detailed Image and buy a Porter Cable random orbit buffer, some pads and whatever else I could afford to bring the finish to the finest you can get it, assuming your maintenance is up to date and the paint is not failing.

For $200 I'd get a short shift kit (from one of the other BMW models) and a nice ZHP shift knob.

For $200, if you don't have them already, I'd get Dupo clears. They quality of Dupo E46 products today seems to be a lot better than in the past. I've bought rears for both my 328i and my 325iT, as well as side marker and front corners.

For $200 I'd replace worn out center console pieces.

For $200 I'd get a front airdam (lip) from eBay (the Hamann rep seems to be a good fit) and have someone paint it.

Trust me, at your age, right now, you think the lights look kinda cool and sets your car apart. In a year or two you'll wish you had that $200 for more classic upgrades (or maintenance).

Just trying to help.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:07 AM   #20
D.javier17

IMO, perhaps as your are looking for all seasons, spending more would benefit you and your e46 in the long run. You pay a bit more for each tire but you get more responsiveness, comfort, and reliability. Pilot sports as/3's are great, many options on tire rack, Good luck.

Last edited by D.javier17; 12-23-2015 at 01:08 AM.
D.javier17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
18 inch rims, fender rolling, rims, staggered, stock