E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2015, 01:19 PM   #21
Aventador_nb

My Ride: E46 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
Heck, for $200 I'd go to Detailed Image and buy a Porter Cable random orbit buffer, some pads and whatever else I could afford to bring the finish to the finest you can get it, assuming your maintenance is up to date and the paint is not failing.

For $200 I'd get a short shift kit (from one of the other BMW models) and a nice ZHP shift knob.

For $200, if you don't have them already, I'd get Dupo clears. They quality of Dupo E46 products today seems to be a lot better than in the past. I've bought rears for both my 328i and my 325iT, as well as side marker and front corners.

For $200 I'd replace worn out center console pieces.

For $200 I'd get a front airdam (lip) from eBay (the Hamann rep seems to be a good fit) and have someone paint it.

Trust me, at your age, right now, you think the lights look kinda cool and sets your car apart. In a year or two you'll wish you had that $200 for more classic upgrades (or maintenance).

Just trying to help.
Let's see. A short shift kit would be pretty useless because I'm one of those car lovers that drives an automatic

+1 The portal cable random orbit buffer, I found it on amazon for just $119 or something. A kit with buffing compound and shining wax costs like $179 with all pads. That seems like a decent place to spend less than $200.

I saw the Dupo clears.. they have the classy euro car look. Have you ever seen the Spyder LED taillights or headlights? Those are the ones I really like. They're roughly $250 a pair I think. If nothing else, I'll buy both, to see which ones go with my car, and I'll return the others.

+1 What do you mean by center console pieces? I AM planning on getting silver interior panels, instead of the current wood ones which I find really tacky. The center console pieces you're talking about are the plastic/rubber ones that wear out and look disgusting?

I haven't seen what the front airdam is, but I'll check that out.

Thank you so much for your advice man! What's your name? I find you really helpful
Old 12-23-2015, 01:20 PM   #22
Aventador_nb

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.javier17 View Post
IMO, perhaps as your are looking for all seasons, spending more would benefit you and your e46 in the long run. You pay a bit more for each tire but you get more responsiveness, comfort, and reliability. Pilot sports as/3's are great, many options on tire rack, Good luck.
I'll check that out. Thank you so much!
Old 12-23-2015, 01:46 PM   #23
boblaz

My Ride: 03 BMW 325XiT
Hi...I have the Nankangs on 18x8.5. With 225/40/18 I am not very happy. These tires are a very "small" 225 so they end up looking stretched. There is a great article on MotoIQ that tells you how to size a tire for the rim

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...RFORMANCE.aspx
boblaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #24
Aventador_nb

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblaz View Post
Hi...I have the Nankangs on 18x8.5. With 225/40/18 I am not very happy. These tires are a very "small" 225 so they end up looking stretched. There is a great article on MotoIQ that tells you how to size a tire for the rim

Hey thank you so much! I'm looking into buying a fellow E46 fanatics member's rims and tires set now. And the tires on the rim at the moment are Pirelli PZeros. So I'm not worried about the Nankang anymore. The wheels however, are ASEs. Have any experience with those?
Old 12-23-2015, 02:35 PM   #25
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblaz View Post

Hard to beat MotoIQ. It's owned by a VERY good friend of mine (and I know several of the guys who work for him). He's an automotive engineer who has worked for an OEM, worked on TRD's engine program when they were in GTP, and has engineered race cars and aftermarket performance products. You can trust what you read on MotoIQ.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:50 PM   #26
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventador_nb View Post
Let's see. A short shift kit would be pretty useless because I'm one of those car lovers that drives an automatic

+1 The portal cable random orbit buffer, I found it on amazon for just $119 or something. A kit with buffing compound and shining wax costs like $179 with all pads. That seems like a decent place to spend less than $200.

I saw the Dupo clears.. they have the classy euro car look. Have you ever seen the Spyder LED taillights or headlights? Those are the ones I really like. They're roughly $250 a pair I think. If nothing else, I'll buy both, to see which ones go with my car, and I'll return the others.

+1 What do you mean by center console pieces? I AM planning on getting silver interior panels, instead of the current wood ones which I find really tacky. The center console pieces you're talking about are the plastic/rubber ones that wear out and look disgusting?

I haven't seen what the front airdam is, but I'll check that out.

Thank you so much for your advice man! What's your name? I find you really helpful
An airdam is commonly referred to as a "lip" today. I don't use that terminology as it's highly inaccurate and only matters in the "street tuning" world. To blow your mind further, what is call splitters in the "street tuning" work are NOT splitters. A splitter is something else entirely. It's funny, but seeing people refer to items by the wrong terminology is as bad as hearing someone call our cars a Beamer (or Beemer). It's a Bimmer to anybody who knows anything.

Anyway, the airdam I refer to:

This is a Hamann rep:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PU-99-00-01-...hUWcH4&vxp=mtr

This is a ACS rep:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-01-BMW-E4...tWHICU&vxp=mtr

There is also an Alpina rep made by RDS that I can't find quickly.

I have the Hamann rep and it's a pretty good fit. The ones I've shown are for a sedan/touring. If you have a coupe or cab, you'll have to look at the ones for those.

The center console pieces are the plastic/rubber ones that wear out and look disgusting. Yes. It may seem a little silly to replace them, but once you do, the interior goes from looking shitty to looking new.

My name? VVVVVVVVV

Old 12-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #27
Aventador_nb

Quote:
An airdam is commonly referred to as a "lip" today. I don't use that terminology as it's highly inaccurate and only matters in the "street tuning" world. To blow your mind further, what is call splitters in the "street tuning" work are NOT splitters. A splitter is something else entirely. It's funny, but seeing people refer to items by the wrong terminology is as bad as hearing someone call our cars a Beamer (or Beemer). It's a Bimmer to anybody who knows anything.

Anyway, the airdam I refer to:

This is a Hamann rep:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PU-99-00-01-...hUWcH4&vxp=mtr

This is a ACS rep:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-01-BMW-E4...tWHICU&vxp=mtr

There is also an Alpina rep made by RDS that I can't find quickly.

I have the Hamann rep and it's a pretty good fit. The ones I've shown are for a sedan/touring. If you have a coupe or cab, you'll have to look at the ones for those.

The center console pieces are the plastic/rubber ones that wear out and look disgusting. Yes. It may seem a little silly to replace them, but once you do, the interior goes from looking shitty to looking new.

My name? VVVVVVVVV
Geoff right? I think I'm finally getting a hang of these forums

The issue with buying an airdam or "lip", is that I live in a smaller city called Mobile, Alabama. I have a strange feeling that my metallic green would not be available to get that airdam painted.. I saw some front bumpers too (The m3 style bumpers?), for around $150. The issue again, for me, would be the paint job. I'm attaching pictures of my car in current state, without rims and any aftermarket parts mostly (apart from the turn signals, which I bought off of eBay). One day, I'll have a car that will be worthy to be posted on these forums
Old 12-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #28
Aventador_nb

Here it is!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1450903405745.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	620495   Click image for larger version

Name:	1450903413950.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	620496   Click image for larger version

Name:	1450903433153.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	620497   Click image for larger version

Name:	1450903447733.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	620498  

Last edited by Aventador_nb; 12-23-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Aventador_nb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #29
Aventador_nb

Hey Geo31 (still not sure if it's Geoff),
What do you think of this deal? The tires and wheels are in really good condition. I can add pictures if you want.

"I'm selling my ASA AR1 wheels wrapped in Pirelli PZero Nero All Seasons XL
Fronts: P225/40ZR
Rears: P255/35ZR

Front wheels: 18x8 +40mm offset
Rear wheels: 18x9 +45mm offset

The wheels aren't bent but one of the rears does have a slight curb rash shown in one of the images attached.

I had them for a total of 2 years but only was only on during the months of May-September of each year so they have a decent amount of tread left.

Bought them new for $1,450. Open to offers but hoping to get around $600."

Last edited by Aventador_nb; 12-23-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Aventador_nb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:26 PM   #30
Aventador_nb

One of the wheels has some rash..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1450909537743.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	620504   Click image for larger version

Name:	1450909545614.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	620505   Click image for larger version

Name:	1450909553471.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	620506   Click image for larger version

Name:	1450909560441.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	620507  

Old 12-23-2015, 06:47 PM   #31
Geo31
Ironman

Get your maintenance up to date.

If your maintenance is up to date, get some detailing supplies. Your paint will look really nice if detailed properly. The first time will take a whole day, but it will be worth it. WAY better than under chassis lights.

Not Geoff. That would be a contraction of my first and last names I suppose. Look at sig.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:20 PM   #32
Aventador_nb

Quote:
Get your maintenance up to date.

If your maintenance is up to date, get some detailing supplies. Your paint will look really nice if detailed properly. The first time will take a whole day, but it will be worth it. WAY better than under chassis lights.

Not Geoff. That would be a contraction of my first and last names I suppose. Look at sig.
Where is you sig lol.. I'm using the bimmer app and I'm not seeing any sig
Maintenance is up to date.. I have some kind of a leak in a hose going to the engine, which is causing a slightly rough idle. That's what the guys at a BMW specific shop told me.
They said $180 for a smog test, which seemed like a rip off to me. So, I didn't get it done immediately. For now, I've got new spark plugs in, my valve cover gasket has been changed, my hood cable and latches have been fixed as well (they were broken )
Also, my oil has been changed and radiator fluid has been flushed. Can't really think of anything else honestly. Yes, the sensor for the radiator fluid was torn by a mechanic in the past. So that's the only thing that needs to be changed.
Again thanks for all the help! You're awesome.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #33
Aventador_nb

Nevermind, I found it in your profile! George it is, or Mr. Roffe. Whichever you prefer
Old 12-24-2015, 12:07 AM   #34
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Nevermind, I found it in your profile! George it is, or Mr. Roffe. Whichever you prefer
Oh ****. You'd better just call me George. OR, you can tell me your last name and I'll call you Mr. whatever.

Absolutely nothing wrong with old-fashion politeness.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:11 AM   #35
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Where is you sig lol.. I'm using the bimmer app and I'm not seeing any sig
Maintenance is up to date.. I have some kind of a leak in a hose going to the engine, which is causing a slightly rough idle. That's what the guys at a BMW specific shop told me.
They said $180 for a smog test, which seemed like a rip off to me. So, I didn't get it done immediately. For now, I've got new spark plugs in, my valve cover gasket has been changed, my hood cable and latches have been fixed as well (they were broken )
Also, my oil has been changed and radiator fluid has been flushed. Can't really think of anything else honestly. Yes, the sensor for the radiator fluid was torn by a mechanic in the past. So that's the only thing that needs to be changed.
Again thanks for all the help! You're awesome.
Very good. Seriously.

It's your car. Do as you like. But maintenance before mods. Otherwise, try to stick with relatively classic mods. They won't go out of style. The trendy stuff only looks good if you can afford to go all out and then walk away for a loss. When I was your age, monochromatic treatments were the contemporary rage, especially in white or red. That got old within 2 years. Yuck.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:40 AM   #36
Aventador_nb

Quote:
Oh ****. You'd better just call me George. OR, you can tell me your last name and I'll call you Mr. whatever.

Absolutely nothing wrong with old-fashion politeness.
I'd rather call you George, even though you insist that you're much older :p
My name is Nevil. And I'm much better off with you just calling me that
Old 12-24-2015, 04:41 AM   #37
Aventador_nb

Quote:
Very good. Seriously.

It's your car. Do as you like. But maintenance before mods. Otherwise, try to stick with relatively classic mods. They won't go out of style. The trendy stuff only looks good if you can afford to go all out and then walk away for a loss. When I was your age, monochromatic treatments were the contemporary rage, especially in white or red. That got old within 2 years. Yuck.
What are monochromatic treatments lol.. I'll search it up
What do you think of vinyl wrapping interior trim? I wanted to get aluminum interior trim, but if I can just vinyl wrap myself for almost 10x less I'd rather do that.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:55 AM   #38
Geo31
Ironman

Go for it.

A quick search turns up some monochromatic treatments, but they are not as extreme as they were in 1980 +/-. Mercedes/AMG were the most common to do that. Often all white. ALL white. The only things not painted were the lights, the glass, and the tires. Everything else was painted the same color, including all trim and even the damned wiper arms. It was stunning the first time you saw it. Boring and ugly after that. Thank God it died out quickly.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:55 AM   #39
Geo31
Ironman

Here's the Alpina rep:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RDX-Frontspo...8AAOSwd4tTx8dJ

Old 12-24-2015, 03:20 PM   #40
Aventador_nb

Quote:
Go for it.

A quick search turns up some monochromatic treatments, but they are not as extreme as they were in 1980 +/-. Mercedes/AMG were the most common to do that. Often all white. ALL white. The only things not painted were the lights, the glass, and the tires. Everything else was painted the same color, including all trim and even the damned wiper arms. It was stunning the first time you saw it. Boring and ugly after that. Thank God it died out quickly.
Honestly speaking, that just sounds super tacky. No wonder you're so conscious about cosmetic upgrades
I saw the Alpina rep you posted as well. I think for the "airdam", I'd go for the Hamann rep. It looks the best and looks like the perfect fit for the E46 (doesn't look aftermarket at all). If I get it, I'll probably wrap that in carbon fiber too, and install it. That wrap is about to make life really easy for me.
Thanks again George

Tags
18 inch rims, fender rolling, rims, staggered, stock