E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2016, 06:38 PM   #1
superzorgon

My Ride: '03 325xiT
Fun with OBD Fusion // Should I be worried?

HelloFriends!

I'm writing about a mystery, wondering if anyone has insight...

I'm the happy owner of a 2003 325xiT w/ 94k miles. Recent pic attached. Bought it from a fellow E46 Fanatic who did a TON of work updating this beautiful machine:

The car has been completely overhauled with new OEM parts within last 2k miles:

Suspension:
OEM Sachs shocks, struts, springs. OEM Lemfoerder front control arms, Powerflex FCAB's, front wheel bearings (F.A.G) , GKN Loebro CV axles.

Brake system:
Brembo front brake rotors, Meyle rear rotors, Akebono brake pads, Meyle brake hoses, ATE rebuilt front brake calipers, ATE master cylinder, ABS module rebuilt by ABSMasters.

Engine:
G.A.S. DISA kit, Beisan VANOS seals, OEM VCG, NGK Plugs. All vacuum lines replaced. Thermostat, Expansion Tank, Water Pump, Upper & Lower cooling hoses, Fan Clutch, all pulleys, belts, Upper & Lower intake boots.

Transmission:
Fluid flush, transmission oil filter and pan gasket replaced. Transfer Case replaced with rebuilt unit, fresh fluid. Fluid flushed in both differentials. New Guibo, Center Support Bearing, new rear differential carrier bushing.

Steering:
New steering coupler (guibo), new upper steering joint, new Meyle tie rod assemblies.

DME flashed to the latest version at Hendrick BMW, airbags replaced.

Since acquiring the vehicle I did oil change / filter + replaced clock spring. Here's the mystery:

About a week ago I got my first CEL. This is not a daily driver, so it lived in a nice, warm garage for a week, and today I went to check it out. The CEL was gone, and I didn't do a thing.

Ran a diagnostic using OBD Fusion, and the 2nd attached pic shows results. Note that the the CEL is OFF, the car runs beautifully, and yet a "stored" p0014 comes up, plus a "pending" p0302 / po306.

What does this mean?

THANK YOU. Love this community.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-325xiT.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	623377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3748.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	623378  
superzorgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:11 AM   #2
panagath

My Ride: '00 e46 330ci
Looks like you need a new camshaft position sensor. The B position I think is the one on top (please verify it first). It is very easy to change it, just one screw (be careful not to drop any tools as they will hide :p ). It is a very common problem in the e46. I had it too. In general the sensor is very expensive ( I paid 110 pounds for the original one), on ebay you can find it for 15-20 pounds but they say that the aftermarket ones will break again soon so maybe it is worth getting the original one.

About the two misfires, it could be caused by the problem above or maybe a vacuum leak. Check the two (upper & lower) itake boots as it is very common for them to tear after years and cause a lot of fault positives in ecu faults. When I had the upper intake boot torn apart, the car showed 100 different and unrelated faults!!! But after changing it and reseting the faults it was fine. Good luck.
panagath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:27 AM   #3
jfoj
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5, E93
You have not even touched fun with OBDFusion!

Suggest a few thing.

First, note all faults and document them with date and mileage.

Clear codes and see what ones come back and get Freeze Frame data.

Then suggest you search my signature and figure out how to see up Logging and use OBDFusion to gather data on the Fuel Trims and other data.

The misfiring could be vacuum leak or fuel pump related.

The cam sensor mentioned is the Exhaust cam sensor. DO NOT buy a cam sensor from the parts store, they often have the lower quality items and mix up the Intake and Exhaust sensors. You need to be careful on cam sensor codes, the problem could be the sensor, the circuit (wiring, terminals, connectors, oil in the wiring/DME connector) or in the case of VANOS system, there can also be a hydraulic piece of the puzzle with solenoids, seals and blocked or restricted oil passages. Most folks start with a replacement sensor, but keep in mind about other probelms.

Use www.realoem.com to look up part numbers.

Use this tool to find the best pricing - www.bmwpnpc.com

Search the links in my signature for ideas about plastic and rubber parts under the hood and fuel pump problems that can cause misfires.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temp, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose temp switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299

Last edited by jfoj; 02-01-2016 at 07:30 AM.
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:20 PM   #4
superzorgon

Thanks to both of you for the replies. Much appreciated. Will dig in this weekend & hopefully come back with some answers.

This forum is a powerful resource
Old 02-14-2016, 12:43 AM   #5
superzorgon

OK. Got freeze frame data & cleared codes. After checking twice over 2 weeks no new codes have appeared.

Mysterious, but Im not complaining.

Thanks again for the informative replies.

Tags
obd fusion, p0014, touring