E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2016, 08:44 PM   #21
miatard

My Ride: Chicken
You're only gonna get a certain amount of spoon-feeding.
miatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:57 AM   #22
CateFul

My Ride: E46 325i
same problem here. But for me it actually tries to move back to the original position but stops half way there. Occasionally it would work though. Couldn't figure out why.
CateFul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 02:02 AM   #23
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Wiring - I'm not going to tell you this is def. your problem but something to consider as you begin to exhaust possibilities.

I had a lumbar motor that refused to inflate but would deflate. I could faintly hear the motor "try" to inflate but - no go. After changing every conceivable part with the exception of the wire loom I came to the conclusion that although the wire loom didn't exhibit any outward signs if distress as I looked it over, there must be a wire severed. As I was about a third of the way through unraveling the tape over the wire loom a brown wire just twisted off and fell free. Prior to taking it apart all the wiring showed perfect continuity, however as soon as I placed a load across the wires the broken wire apparently arced due to resistance under load and broke the connection until you took the load away.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 5000k Xenarc CBI 66240 HID | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:24 AM   #24
Antti

My Ride: German car
You can read fault codes from ZKE5. I had problems with 330 cabrio mirrors and there was clear fault codes in module.
You need INPA, DIS or Carly.

Last edited by Antti; 03-09-2016 at 06:25 AM.
Antti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #25
CateFul

Carly reads fault codes too? I thought all it does is coding
Old 03-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #26
Blisssss

My Ride: 2003 330i ZPP/ZSP
Interested in a diagnosis for this. My passenger mirror works perfectly with the reverse tilting, etc. my driver side works perfect in manual mode ( I can move it normally in any direction) however driver side does not tilt in reverse mode AND, get this, some times it will automatically move (in a random direction) when I unlock my car with the key fob. It's intermittent and only pops up here and there. This might be related though if we can all find the source of the mirror issue.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #27
CateFul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blisssss View Post
Interested in a diagnosis for this. My passenger mirror works perfectly with the reverse tilting, etc. my driver side works perfect in manual mode ( I can move it normally in any direction) however driver side does not tilt in reverse mode AND, get this, some times it will automatically move (in a random direction) when I unlock my car with the key fob. It's intermittent and only pops up here and there. This might be related though if we can all find the source of the mirror issue.
1. The driver side isn't supposed to tilt.
2. Did you check if your key/memorys been activated?
Old 03-10-2016, 12:18 AM   #28
Antti

My Ride: German car
Quote:
Originally Posted by CateFul View Post
Carly reads fault codes too? I thought all it does is coding
Yep carly can read fault codes.
I prefer dis , because those fault codes are much clear and detailed compared to any other programs.
Dis also gives you fault correction instructions. In my opinion DIS+INPA in your toolkit are best software for E46 diagnostics.

Last edited by Antti; 03-10-2016 at 12:24 AM.
Antti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:37 AM   #29
Blisssss

My Ride: 2003 330i ZPP/ZSP
Quote:

Ah ok so my tilting is normal. No I've not checked my memory but I shall search to find out how. Thanks, it's never been too much of a bother but I thought it might be related to this issue
Old 03-10-2016, 03:29 AM   #30
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Lenny - something to consider as a workaround until you get to the bottom of your issue; since the mirror still moves manually but won't return on it's own - program one of your memory buttons with the mirror and seat angle set where you like. After you've done that press the memory button you programmed to get it to return to it's upright position.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 5000k Xenarc CBI 66240 HID | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:39 AM   #31
Rossifumi01

My Ride: VW T4
I had the same issue and ran some codes:

The only option I came across was to change the whole motors assembly as I was unable to change part by part... Then I bought a couple of mirrors as I had issues with both and now they both work properly. From my experience (and the codes I ran) I would say the issue comes from the potentiometers that limit the movement of the mirror but I couldn't change them...
Rossifumi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:42 AM   #32
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '00 328i
I keep getting the same issues with PA Soft...I try clearing all the codes and the fault comes back next time I plug in the computer to the car

>IN SEARCH OF GRAY SEDAN SPORT SEATS<
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:08 AM   #33
rocksandblues

My Ride: 06 330 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanr614 View Post
Mine tilts down in reverse, only the passenger side (idk if thats normal) and then stays tilted down when i put it in drive. have to manually put it back with the joystick. never figured out why
ditto for me

bored at work so i did a search and found this thread...
rocksandblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #34
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
My mirrors used to tilt automatically when I changed the angle of the back of the driver's seat. They does't self-adjust any more

E46Fanatics inspiration Robolop: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...87566&page=101

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #35
wakers3

My Ride: 04 325xi, 88 325iC
Quote:
BOOYAA! what I came here to find out and you all came through! Thx
Quote:
And in the same reply I found something more to research Getting ready to replace the battery in one remote, so I guess going through and setting up the memories for the wife and myself is going to be in order.

Thanks, CateFul!
wakers3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mirror