Painting pre-facelift coupe bumper trim - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2016, 07:45 PM   #1
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Painting pre-facelift coupe bumper trim

Hey fanatics! I've searched around quite a bunch and I'm surprised that I can't find anyone who has done this. On the pre-facelift coupes, the fog lights trim, the grill in between the fog lights (front bumper cover trim), and the thin sheet that goes all the way across (grill cover). On non sport models, the fog light trim and grill come in black, and the grill cover comes in your exterior paint color. However, on some models (sport package?) this trim is grey, or as I've seen it called "titan."

I have no experience in paint or anything whatsoever. Is it possible to just spray paint these and get the OEM look? Should I plasti dip them? And for the grill cover that is my exterior color color, do I need to sand the clear coat off for a paint to stick? and is there a type of paint or color or something that I should get? I'm really shocked there's nothing on this, but usually people are trying to pain their interior pieces. I figured this is a "nothing can go wrong" DIY. I have a photo of some random persons E46 who has the bumper OEM with the trim colored. I just want some contrast in my grill!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sport bumper.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	626827  
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:14 PM   #2
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '00 328i
I think those were the same color across all Ci cars. Some people may have just painted them black for aesthetics I assume. To remove that piece, I would imagine you have to take the front bumper off. I know that is how it works on sedans as I've done it.

For the OEM look, I would just leave it as it is

>IN SEARCH OF GRAY SEDAN SPORT SEATS<
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:21 PM   #3
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllRazorlll View Post
I think those were the same color across all Ci cars. Some people may have just painted them black for aesthetics I assume. To remove that piece, I would imagine you have to take the front bumper off. I know that is how it works on sedans as I've done it.

For the OEM look, I would just leave it as it is
I think it came from the factory black. The part numbers below are for the fog trim, but are different for "titan," and "black," so there was some package or trim that made these cars specced with the trim in silver. This especially makes sense since the grill cover is my exterior color, where it is silver on others.

51118204357 (black)
51117016515 ("titan")

My E46 isn't sporty looking. It has 16" rims, is steel blue, and has chrome trim. The inside is dove with wood trim. I feel it has a very "calm" look to it, and I think these would help continue that look. Even if it was sporty (glossy black window trim, bigger rims), I like these accents. It gives some contrast to an otherwise all black grille. It's down low so typically isn't seen. I want to give it some pop

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 03-16-2016 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:20 PM   #4
orb

My Ride: 325Ci
You have a blue factory interior? Lucky, that's pretty rare.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:36 AM   #5
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
You have a blue factory interior? Lucky, that's pretty rare.
sorry I meant dove. It just always appears blue to me.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:47 AM   #6
glhx

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I have posted a lot about painting in my sig

Gray scotch Brite pad

Scuff clear till dull
Clean
Paint
Clear
Sand
Buff
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #7
williamp525

My Ride: 330I Sports Touring
I have just done my interior trim and grills and mesh on my car. I know its the sport model touring but same principles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1458143565702.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	626863   Click image for larger version

Name:	1458143605031.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	626865  
williamp525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:55 AM   #8
williamp525

My Ride: 330I Sports Touring
It was chrome and wood also
williamp525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:36 PM   #9
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

Figured it out. The 325Ci had black trim running along in the bumper and the 330Ci had gray/silver trim. Gave it more of a premium look. 323 and 328Ci models both had black trim.

Edit: I see your ride is a 328Ci. I'm sure there was a specific reason as to why there were two trim colors. Sport package vs. non sport? Idk. I do know that the grille in the "mouth" of the bumper for the 323/325i and 328/330i were different

Last edited by lllRazorlll; 03-16-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:44 AM   #10
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by glhx View Post
I have posted a lot about painting in my sig

Gray scotch Brite pad
Scuff clear till dull
Clean
Paint
Clear
Sand
Buff
I've done a bit of research and think this is the right thing to do. I found your post in my original research, but found most of it about painting metal. Few questions though. The scotch brite pad would be for removing the original paint, correct? And what grit do you recommend for "polishing" down new coats? Only familiar with sand paper because I've looked into repairing some of my babies many scratches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamp525 View Post
I have just done my interior trim and grills and mesh on my car. I know its the sport model touring but same principles
Thanks for this. I just thought that the outside would need something extra care since it would be taking far more abuse than the inside. I now see that this is not the case

Quote:
Figured it out. The 325Ci had black trim running along in the bumper and the 330Ci had gray/silver trim. Gave it more of a premium look. 323 and 328Ci models both had black trim. So spray paint should be good?

Edit: I see your ride is a 328Ci. I'm sure there was a specific reason as to why there were two trim colors. Sport package vs. non sport? Idk. I do know that the grille in the "mouth" of the bumper for the 323/325i and 328/330i were different
I did some more googling and I think you're right, that only the 330Ci's got this. I have the black trim, so I'm going for the more premium look!

EDIT: good place to get spray paint? good brand?
EDIT 2: Is it necessary to sand the pieces that are black? Can't I just paint over them?

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 03-17-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:49 AM   #11
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
I've done a bit of research and think this is the right thing to do. I found your post in my original research, but found most of it about painting metal. Few questions though. The scotch brite pad would be for removing the original paint, correct? And what grit do you recommend for "polishing" down new coats? Only familiar with sand paper because I've looked into repairing some of my babies many scratches.

Thanks for this. I just thought that the outside would need something extra care since it would be taking far more abuse than the inside. I now see that this is not the case

I did some more googling and I think you're right, that only the 330Ci's got this. I have the black trim, so I'm going for the more premium look!

EDIT: good place to get spray paint? good brand?
Just go to Home Depot and find a paint that adheres well to plastic/exterior use.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:15 AM   #12
bugsyhoff

My Ride: 325xi
Remember painting is all about prep work. If you want it to look good make sure it is sanded down well before hand. I'm excited to see how this turns out.!
bugsyhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:12 AM   #13
evanr614

My Ride: used 2 have 2 pedals
if it were me i'd leave it alone unless you plan on painting your headlight trim also. it's not easy to make homemade paint jobs last. not saying it can't be done.

that trim is also kind've a bitch to get off too.

fwiw my 328Ci sport package came with the black bumper trim and headlight trim.

Atlantis Blue 328Ci Project Thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...523&highlight=
evanr614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:50 AM   #14
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

Yeah, I think 330Ci cars had silver trim. I know that applies to the sedan starting with the 2001 model year. Maybe the previous owner on your car changed the grille/bumper because of an accident?

Old 03-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #15
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsyhoff View Post
Remember painting is all about prep work. If you want it to look good make sure it is sanded down well before hand. I'm excited to see how this turns out.!
I'll post pictures then! This is a job not high on my priorities, since it's all aesthetic. What grit would you say I should use? I'll go to home depot once someone recommends me one (or two)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanr614 View Post
if it were me i'd leave it alone unless you plan on painting your headlight trim also. it's not easy to make homemade paint jobs last. not saying it can't be done.
that trim is also kind've a bitch to get off too.
fwiw my 328Ci sport package came with the black bumper trim and headlight trim.
I really want to give it a shot. If I break it, it's not like it'd be very noticeable. I've also seen videos (would have to dig them up) on how to remove the trim without removing the bumper. If I had to remove the bumper, I wouldn't attempt this.
And so confirmed only on 330Ci?

Quote:
Yeah, I think 330Ci cars had silver trim. I know that applies to the sedan starting with the 2001 model year. Maybe the previous owner on your car changed the grille/bumper because of an accident?
I have a 328Ci. And I believe that the sedan didn't have this style bumper
Old 03-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #16
DEADF15H

My Ride: 2001 325i Auto
automotivetouchup.com can mix up BMW paint codes and supply them in rattle cans.
You need to follow the instructions exactly! dont take any short cuts, even if your impatient like me, especially on the cure times, between coats. Watch their videos.
Use a scrotch brite pad, their tack cloth, Prep Solvent, Plastic Parts Adhesion Promoter, Base Coat, and Clear Coat. Whatever paint you use, keep all the prep items in the same brand just to be safe.
I used them for Toyota Highlander side view mirrors that were destroyed by the Florida sun. 3 years in, and they still look fantastic.
It takes 3 times longer to prep the piece than it does to paint it!

Last edited by DEADF15H; 03-17-2016 at 06:01 PM.
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:15 PM   #17
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADF15H View Post
automotivetouchup.com can mix up BMW paint codes and supply them in rattle cans...Use their Prep Solvent, Plastic Parts Adhesion Promoter, Base Coat, and Clear Coat. Whatever paint you use, keep all the prep items in the same brand just to be safe... It takes 3 times longer to prep the piece than it does to paint it!
I don't need a specific BMW paint. The trim seems to not even be glossy. See the pictures attached. I can understand the prep solvent and plastic adhesion promotor, but I don't need a clear coat, right? The trim has a mat look to it. Unless anyone with this titanium look trim on their 330Ci can tell me otherwise. I haven't looked at the trim really close
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	27047_x600.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	626935   Click image for larger version

Name:	e46ci-grid-51117016516.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	626936  
Old 03-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #18
DEADF15H

My Ride: 2001 325i Auto
Quote:
I don't need a specific BMW paint. The trim seems to not even be glossy. See the pictures attached. I can understand the prep solvent and plastic adhesion promotor, but I don't need a clear coat, right? The trim has a mat look to it. Unless anyone with this titanium look trim on their 330Ci can tell me otherwise. I haven't looked at the trim really close
You're right, you don't. You can use any quality primer, paint, and clearcoat, in whatever color. I couldn't see the car color on my phone, thought it was Titanium Silver and you wanted to match it. I'm getting ready to do my shark fin, which I need to match.

Just scuff with a pad for adhesion. If you scuff through the original primer you may have to use some Plastic Primer. Put on a few coats of base color in whatever color you choose. The clear coat is a protector coat, that area gets bombarded with rock chips, sand, salt, and road debris. Pretty sure you can get it in a matte finish as well, if that's what you want. The beauty of those parts is they don't have a large flat surface, so even if you have a few mistakes you don't want to take the time to sand down, it will be hard to notice.
DEADF15H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:33 PM   #19
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

Quote:
I'll post pictures then! This is a job not high on my priorities, since it's all aesthetic. What grit would you say I should use? I'll go to home depot once someone recommends me one (or two)

I really want to give it a shot. If I break it, it's not like it'd be very noticeable. I've also seen videos (would have to dig them up) on how to remove the trim without removing the bumper. If I had to remove the bumper, I wouldn't attempt this.
And so confirmed only on 330Ci?

I have a 328Ci. And I believe that the sedan didn't have this style bumper
They didn't have the same bumper but look at the grille in the "mouth" the car "face" makes

323i

325i

328i

330i

Note the 330i. Silver headlight trim + bumper plastics for a more premium appearance

Old 03-17-2016, 08:52 PM   #20
TheRarp

My Ride: 02 - 325Ci
original!

Tags
front bumper, paint, pre facelift, trim