Tips for Rust Repair - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #1
MrCharleston

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Tips for Rust Repair

Not sure if im posting this in the correct forum, however any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I purchased my 2002 330Ci last summer and I love it! however my last car was a Mazda 3 and rusted like crazy... and was hoping to avoid that with this car. I live in Ottawa, Canada just incase people reccomend products or stores.

The worst spots are under the trunk but above the bumper, and the two rear wheel wheels right above the bumper. So I will more than likely be removing the bumper. Picture 2 is right behind the Front Passenger wheel (tight area above the skirt and below the door).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	630082   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	630083   Click image for larger version

Name:	image8.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	630084   Click image for larger version

Name:	image7.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	630085  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image6.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	630086   Click image for larger version

Name:	image9.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	630087  

Last edited by MrCharleston; 04-21-2016 at 10:00 AM.
MrCharleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:20 AM   #2
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Thats the wrong car to have rust on. If that's what you can see, imagine what you can't see. Honestly I'd just get a new car.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
MT-inside

My Ride: 2003 Z4 3.0i
If it's just for vanity don't spend too much money on it. Pick up a can of rust converter primer, base colour and clear coat. Then try to get out the rust with a wire drill bit and sanding. Do your best at painting, it'll look better for sure.
MT-inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:18 AM   #4
MrCharleston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Thats the wrong car to have rust on. If that's what you can see, imagine what you can't see. Honestly I'd just get a new car.
Yea, getting a new car isn't really an option for me right now though, love this car and im just looking to make it a little easier on the eyes. If the rust comes back so be it but I'd like to do as good a job as I can without taking out big chunks of metal. Know any good threads that i should check out for this?
Old 04-21-2016, 11:24 AM   #5
MrCharleston

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-inside View Post
If it's just for vanity don't spend too much money on it. Pick up a can of rust converter primer, base colour and clear coat. Then try to get out the rust with a wire drill bit and sanding. Do your best at painting, it'll look better for sure.
I'd like to get rid of the rust with either a grinder or wire brush drill bit, then bondo sand, bondo sand until im happy with the shape. Then I'll prime paint and clear coat as best as possible. I agree with not putting too much money in to it. I picked up the car for $4000 with 290k on it and right now its sitting at 307,000 km. Id like to see it reach 400,000 with a half decent body still. Any suggestions on which type of bondo, or primer etc..?
Old 04-21-2016, 12:35 PM   #6
MT-inside

My Ride: 2003 Z4 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCharleston View Post
I'd like to get rid of the rust with either a grinder or wire brush drill bit, then bondo sand, bondo sand until im happy with the shape. Then I'll prime paint and clear coat as best as possible. I agree with not putting too much money in to it. I picked up the car for $4000 with 290k on it and right now its sitting at 307,000 km. Id like to see it reach 400,000 with a half decent body still. Any suggestions on which type of bondo, or primer etc..?
Yeah us Canadians have to deal with rust quite a bit, even on well made cars. But here's what I use all can be find at Canadian Tire:

- Rust Check Rust Converter
- Bondo Auto Body Filler
- Flat Wire Wheel Brush
- Colour matched paint from Napa
- Dupli-color clear coat

All in the project should be around 50 bucks. Tip for using the wire bit, use duct tape as masking tape when grinding because it will tear right through masking tape. I think you'll be surprised how well it turns out.
MT-inside is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330, bondo, diy, rust